Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #1  

Default Where do I Begin?

I got on the scale tonight and it read 264 pounds. The most I've ever weighed. I don't know where to begin. Losing over 100 pounds seems impossible. What have ya'll done that works?
I appreciate your help!
JenniBean1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #2  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5'7

You have to start somewhere! Welcome to 3fc!
TheLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Just start one bite at a time. I'm 60, had been at about 250+ for over 20 years, and decided in January that the weight had to come off. I joined a gym and changed how I eat. I cut carbs and sugar, all junk food, and started eating lots of veggies and fruits and lean meats. Cutting white carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, and bread helped a lot, because after a week or so, carb and sugar cravings go way down. It's as simple as that for many of us.

Some suggest making small changes you can live with. Others - like me- suggest jumping in with both feet - make all the changes necessary to live a healthy life. If you mess up - just start again IMMEDIATELY. I think that's the key. One choice at a time. A mistake is just one mistake. Focus on the goal, and just do it.

Many members have lost 100 pounds or more. If I could do it, anyone can. Well, I lost 90 pounds in 8 1/2 months and am holding now, and that's another story, but you can do this.

You picked a great place to start. You'll find lots of support here. Lots of people on all different kinds of plans. Most seem to be counting calories, though. But, in the long run, that really is the basis of most plans, no matter how they package it.

Welcome and good luck.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 10-20-2011 at 06:01 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #4  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Hi there - I started out at a similar weight to you, and I have lost over 100 pounds. Lots of others here at 3FC have as well. So I promise you, it can be done, and you can do it.

You can start changing right away, one food choice at a time. Every time you are faced with a food choice, try and make the best choice you can make. When you are in the supermarket buying your groceries, think about setting up your environment to make those choices easier. That is, making sure you always have lots of healthy, on-plan options (such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins) in your home and work environment, and few or none of tempting caloric foods or trigger foods.

This "one choice at a time" philosophy has been my approach and it's sustained me right through a process that has lasted more than two years.

As for what works - the only thing that really works is consistency. Make the best choice you can make, and then do it again, over and over and over again. If you slip up - and we all do - just get right back on and use the very next opportunity to start making good choices again. There is no "blowing it". Perfection is not required, only long-term commitment.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

It's overwhelming, I know. I started out right around your weight.

I know this sounds silly, but for me it had to start with just one day. I couldn't promise myself a week, but I made a new commitment every day.

I'm almost not into deprivation (obviously , so I eat mostly the same food I did before, but less of it. I eat approx. 1400 calories and have one sweet treat each day (usually chocolate) that fits within those calories. For me this had been very easy, but slow. But it's something I can do for the rest of my life. Tell me I can't have something and I'll crave it even more. Tell me I have whatever I like, but less of it and I'm good.

It's doable for sure! Find what works for you. Log what you eat, get support on this forum and others. It helps greatly!! This is a new day, so go for it!
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #6  

You've made the first step- realizing there is a problem and seeking out help! We are ALL here for you! I could not have IMAGINED the support I would receive from a group of strangers when I joined 3FC in April of this year. Since April 15th (Happy 6 month anniversary to me!) I have lost 70 pounds! I don't follow any "plan" per say... I just work my butt off in the gym (running on treadmill, classes like Step, Zumba, etc.) and eat right. You already know what you have to do, just put it into action. Cut out all your fried, fatty, sweet foods and replace them with whole grains, lean meat, veggies, fruits and PLENTY of water.

The funny thing is- I have enjoyed making (and eating) the meals I have learned to cook for my family that are actually good for us MUCH more than a frozen pizza, hamburger helper, etc... all the things that made me (and my fiance) gain weight to begin with. I have TONS of delicious recipes that will make you say "and this has how many calories?!?!" if you would like some

The forum is awesome- everyone here knows what you are going through and loves to help. I will also shout out to the "daily weighing" thread- since joining up with that group this month, I have rediscovered my motivation because it makes me aware of how my choices affect my weight, and keeps me on track. Just in the month of October, I am down 12 pounds!!! Welcome and good luck- let me know if you need anything!
lili8184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

This is the first time in my life I've been successful at this! I'd always been heavy, I'd lose 20 lbs., gain back 30, and after about the 4th or 5th time doing that I thought "hmmm WHY am I expecting a different outcome THIS time?" LOL it was kind of a light-bulb moment, that things were NEVER going to change permanently unless I did ~ so I did a bit of therapy (even tho I'm a psychologist myself, I couldn't 'see' it all) to figure out WHY i was so heavy, WHY i always slid back into the same old habits, and it wasn't scary or time consuming... I just had to face the fact that I was a spoiled toddler in the body of a 43 year old woman LOL once I FACED myself and my habits, and made some changes, the weight fell off as a by-product. I do not believe at all in the "I'm NEVER eating XYZ again" mentality, it never works - it might for a year or 5 but eventually it'll all come roaring back with a vengeance - so I wanted to learn how to eat a few M&Ms and then get on with my life. I'm happy to report the SANITY and PEACE I feel, not being chained to food and diet coke any longer, is better than winning the lottery!

There's so many differing opinions and methods on 3FC you're bound to find something that resonates with you and your situation - best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #8  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Go read the goals and mini goals sections. Lots of great, really inspiring success stories.

Get pumped about this. It is exciting to make a positive change in your life.

Pick one or two things that you can do TODAY, such as drinking extra water, or only eating one serving at your meals. For me, actually succeeding at small goals makes me feel like this isn't so hard, what else can I change?

Keep reading & posting at 3FC. It's a great place for support.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, small changes has worked far better than the extreme methods I used in the past. But I think the attitude change was more important than the size of the changes.

I only made changes that I was willing to make, whether weight loss resulted or not. I picked behaviors that were "healthier" so that even if the weight loss wasn't my reward, better health would be.

By making health my goal, and weight loss no more than a side effect (or an added benefit or reward), I didn't get nearly as discouraged. When weight loss was my only goal, I was willing to do crazy, even harmful things to get the weight loss; and if weight loss wasn't coming along as I wanted, I was far more likely to see my changes as pointless and I'd give up.

Making it "not about the weight" has allowed me to lose the weight.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I am also one of those having some success for the first time ever. My best advice is to accept that this is not a diet, you need to make changes that you are going to be able to live with forever. They are really a lot of plans out there. Start doing your homework. Find a plan that fits your personality and your lifestyle. It has to be a good fit for you personally. Most plans will work if you simply stick to them.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #11  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Exactly what Trazey said!

How you deal with this depends on your personality. When I started, I wanted to lose 110lbs and I had never really seriously attempted to lose weight for more than a couple of weeks because I always got discouraged or it felt too hard. I had to talk to myself and decide what I could live with. So I chose calorie counting, that way my diet didn't change too much (I was a grad student at the time with not much free time), all that changed was my portion sizes. I got a food scale and measuring cups. If I was having my favorite rice dish, I was only allowed 1 serving or a cup, no matter what. If I had Popeye's for lunch, then dinner had to be a plain green salad with a smudge of tuna. It was accountability to myself. Gradually I learned that adding vegetables allowed me to have more food (if you're a big eater like myself) and that having fast food for a meal, was not always worth the sacrifice of that being my only meal for the day. I also learned the importance of planning ahead. I used to eat out a lot (it was my last semester of grad school when I got started) so I would go online and check menus and nutrition information, so I had a game plan when I went out to stick to. This is just how I personally got started.

For you, the first part is believing in yourself. You don't even have to believe you can lose 100lbs. But believe you can lose 2 lbs and if you can do that, then you can lose 5 lbs and then 10 and then 15 and so on. Eventually you'll get there. Don't get discouraged because everything doesn't happen in a week or as immediately as you would like. Just keep on keeping on. Let every meal be an opportunity for you to make a good decision and do something good for your body. Don't wait to start tomorrow. Start at lunch or at dinner. Read labels, get to know what amount of food you should be eating. You can totally do this. The support on here is amazing. No matter how small or big the struggle or question, there's usually someone on, to respond and hold your hand through stuff. If you're considering doing one of the name diet plans or low-carb or calorie counting, there are sections on here to find out more info about them. Or if you have something self-designed you want to try, you can always ask for general advice on here or on the weight loss support board. Good luck and most importantly, know this is totally doable.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #12  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

For me the important thing to keep in mind is: it's not a race! I don't have to lose xx within xx weeks.

I have to remind myself of this daily.

When I first started I calculated up a schedule of where my weight should be on what day. It was completely unrealistic.

Another thing to remember: you will not always see a loss on the scale, you may even see a gain, but keep doing what you should be doing and it will all work out.

I calorie cycle. It fits well within my life so I don't feel like I'm dieting. I eat a lower amount M-Th, and eat a higher amount F-Su. I never deprive myself of anything, I just reason with myself. I can either have 3 tootsie rolls or I can have a whole apple. With 3 tootsie rolls I'd be hungry again within 20 minutes. With the whole apple I could remain satisfied for 2 or more hours. However, if I really want the tootsie rolls I have them, I just account for them.

Good luck, you know you can do this!

Last edited by PreciousMissy; 10-20-2011 at 11:12 AM.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for this thread, I am continuing to be inspired by what you have all written! I agree with everybody, I just concentrate on one day at a time or even one meal at a time, much easier than trying visualize how much effort it will take to lose it all.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #14  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

Soooo much great information here, I really don't think I have much to add except figure out what works for you. Experiment. You'll know when you find your mojo, then you'll be unstoppable.

And 3FC is an invaluable resource for info, support and just general love.

We're all here for you...welcome, and good luck!!
gloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #15  

Thank you for the inspiration There's a few things in these posts I haven't heard before... and I think they will help. I'm still not sure where to start, but I'm leaning towards the eating 1/2 of what I normally eat. The last thing I tried was an extremely low carb low calorie program with phentermine, and it worked for awhile... until i got sooo sick of eggs and turkey sausage! So I quit and went back to eating anything and everything and bam! Gained back the 20 I lost plus 4 more!
JenniBean1022 is offline   Reply With Quote