Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 10:27 AM   #1  

Unhappy Oh no it's the weekend!!

Does anyone else have this problem?

During the week I do great, I'm at work all day long, I drink all my water, I bring some fruit for lunch, and I run around the office. I don't get home until after 6:00, sometimes 7:00 if I stop at the grocery store. I eat a small dinner, watch some TV, and go to bed early (waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer so I can go for a nice long walk).

However, on weekends, its a free-for-all. My kids are bored, especially in the winter, I'm bored too and we don't know what to do with ourselves. They are in and out of the house and sometimes they have their friends over and it is just so loud in my house, that I am totally stressed.

I don't really eat more, but I tend to sit around too much. I am trying to think of things to do that don't cost too much (I am a single mom, and money is tight). I would also like to get a bit of walking in and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

What do you do on the weekend differently, if anything? I really miss the routing of getting up and going to work and knowing what I am doing with my day.

I must be one of the few people who don't look forward to weekends.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:38 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Weekends used to be a big problem with me too. I thought it was a free for all... go off plan, eat whatever I want, etc.. Then, when Monday would roll around and I would have gained 3 pounds over the weekend! I hated it!

You've already identified your problem. Boredom! (Me too). Now, I don't have kids but my mom (the skinney minnie) used to do all sorts of indoor projects with us on rainy days. Look up some non-food projects on-line (Disney Family has a great website) and be prepared for the boredom to strike. My favorite memories of my mom was when we did "Scientific Experiements" together. We had crystals grow, we made stuff explode (baking soda, food dye, and vinegar). Paper mache is also cheap cheap cheap and lots of fun. My friend at work makes scavenger hunts for her kids at the mall (all free stuff, like a sample spoon for the ice cream shop, or the nutritional information from burger king). Also, I plan for the munchies to hit. So, I learned how to make low-fat chicken fingers and juice popscicles.

As far as exercise goes, I grew up in the midwest, so I know how that dumb weather is. What I would recommend is to be prepared for a break in the weather. Wear what you would wear to walk around the block and have you gym shoes on and once you see a chance (even for a short walk). Go for it. Make it a game.

Other things I do on the weekends:
Find out what days are "free" days at the museums and walk around, great exercise.
Go to the public library. There is no food or drink allowed.
Read a book.
Do an exercise video.
Make a very complicated soup for lunch for the rest of the week.

Hope that helped!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:50 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

The weekends have always been my biggest problem. Last weekend I made it through - largely due to a bet. This weekend I am hoping to make it through just because I want it bad enough. I know that one strategy is going to be keeping busy, but Jacob's naps are the worst. I am going to use this time to exercise and shower & stuff.

I think it's just a mind-set, no day, no event, no occasion is a free for all. It doesn't help us in any way to ever have a free for all. Even if we go off our plan somewhat, it still has to be in moderation. One garlic butter roll is enough!!
Old 01-31-2003, 02:14 PM   #4  
Searching

I work this weekend LOL! But I have had the last 3 days off and been totally OP! Most was beating the boredom like you said. I played DJ, I finished watching Band of Brothers, made little To DO lists everyday. Admit it everyone has that chore they don't want to do. I cleaned my stove. TOP, BOTTOM, and UNDERNEATH! I eat small meals every 3 hours too. I know that helps and keeping all food off the counters. If I am really bored isn't that an excercise oppurtunity? I hate cardio, but there I stand on the elliptical until I can think of something better to do.LOL!

Miss Chris
Old 01-31-2003, 03:21 PM   #5  

I too, struggle on weekends. Last week I did lots of cleaning, including a hands&knees heavy duty wash of the kitchen floor -- that helped to an extent. This weekend we're having family in for a small b-day celebration for my 6yo son -- his b-day is Christmas day. For food I'm planning stuff I can eat ... veggies and fat-free dip, salad and sandwich fixin's (low fat cheese and turkey, included). Of course there will be cake and I may try to plan for a piece of that ... I don't know yet.

Good luck to you ... I've joined this month's "point challenge" for the first time and I hope that might keep me motivated, too.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:31 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

a tough problem. i've started knitting. in fact, i'm taking a class in sock making at the yarn store in boonton, sharri [see? i'm a northern joisy girl too!]. if you're interested, PM me.

and i drink instead of eating when i'm bored. some folks get up early and walk at the malls. but we all know the risk of doing THAT!

find a family volunteer project? winter hikes can be fun, if you're all bundled up.

keep us posted! this is a tough one for all of us.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:43 PM   #7  

Default weekends...

Hi Sharri,

I'm a NJ girl too, so I know how you feel about the weather. We have a three year old little boy, and with the rotten weather, he's been boucing off the walls every weekend! He keeps asking to go to the places we go in decent weather-the zoo, park, playground, boardwalk, aquarium, etc.

How old are your kids? That makes a difference in the activites they would like. My son loves to do little crafts projects. There are tons on familyfun.com (the website for family fun magazine). Many of their projects are made from things that would be around your house-no expensive craft supplies. Another good website for kids crafts is dltk-kids.com

Also check in the newspaper-there are ususally free things for children somewhere around.

My son loves the library-we read kids books and magazines, the check out a video for him (he has so many books at home, I don't really check out ones for him) That's free. We also like to cook together-Matthew doesn't care if I"m making low fat muffins, he just has a blast pouring and mixing ingredients.

Is there a community pool near you with reasonable membership fees? We got a cheap membership the the pool at the College of NJ cause my husband is an alumni. My son Matthew loves to swim, and it's a great way to burn off energy. I don't like the indoor play places, causes they're a rip off (moneywise) and I worry about the likelihood of tons of germs floating around those places.

You can private message me, too. I'm in Central NJ, near Princeton. I dont' know what part of the state you're in.

good luck-I know just how you're feeling. You're not alone
It's wonderful that you dont' eat extra on the weekends-I fight that battle every weekend.

Take care,
Sherry
Old 01-31-2003, 07:45 PM   #8  

Some more cheap ideas..

Do your kids like animals? The Petsmart near us always has local animal shelters bring animals up for adoption on weekends. Matthew loves to just look at and pet (if allowed) the cats and dogs.

Also, some of the craft stores, like Michaels have cheap craft classes for kids, where they make and take home a craft.

Hope this helps-
Sherry
Closed Thread