nsv - stairs

• I hate stairs. Partly because I'm a little afraid of falling and hurting myself (a little irrational but I did break a bone in my foot falling on stairs once).

And mostly I hate them because I get so winded and out of breath. Now, I can't avoid them completely but had been doing my best to avoid having to climb up more than one flight.

At work, there are 3 floors in the building but we have elevators so I almost always use those, even though many of my co-workers use the steps. Yesterday, when I walked out of a meeting, I was in the middle of a conversation with some co-workers and they headed to the steps, so I went along with them. This was the first time I used the stairs go up both flights since I started my daily workouts at the beginning of September.

And when we got to the top, I got proof positive that the workouts are working - we were continuing our conversation and when we got to the top, I was the one who was not winded and panting a little!!!

This is about losing weight but it's also about getting healthier and it was fantastic to see some actual proof that my body has gotten healthier.
  • That is an amazing NSV. Congratulations!

I always went to our daily meeting 5 minutes early, because I didn't want anyone to see me panting and sweating when I got to the room upstairs. Now, I can go right on time and feel "normal".
  • Congratulations! I don't know what that feels like yet so I'll just enjoy your moment with you. Great job!
  • GREAT JOB April! Seeing the way you are kicking but with your workouts this month, I'm not at all surprised that you're seeing such major results! And look at you! So close to your "for now" goal. How awesome!

I too feared stairs and hills and learned a lot about how much I've changed during my recent trip to San Francisco to crew the Susan G. Komen 3-day event earlier this month. I had to RUN up and down several different sets of steps and hills and managed pretty darn well. It was a workout and I was breathing hard but it felt good and I wasn't scared or worried about having to do it again, and again, and again througout the weekend.

FOR US!
  • thanks cathi, desertmouse and jami!

and woohoo to the other stairclimbers!!
  • That's fantastic! I can't say the same right now...I'm constantly sore and tired from my workouts, so stairs are still pretty horrible lol. At least it's for different reasons now. I'm so happy for you!!!
  • Great job, April Snow! I can totally relate - I often have to climb stairs on job sites - usually with a guy contractor leading the way. Usually taller, younger, more fit, longer legs. I used to dread it. Not so much any more! Each little thing we do that is easier than it used to be is progress. Keep up the fantastic work.

Lin
  • Awesome!