3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Evaluation time (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/243431-evaluation-time.html)

linJber 09-19-2011 09:58 PM

Evaluation time

Well, it's time for me to make a big decision. First a little background. I joined my wonderful little gym and made the decision to get healthy on January 13th. When I walked in the door, the owner asked, "What brings you in here today?" I answered, "Look at me - I need to lose 100 pounds and I plan to do it by Christmas." I'm not sure where those words came from, but I said them out loud and they became very real.

I have been very focused on keeping my word. I have had no real problem with staying on plan. Even at family weddings, group camping trips, vacation with friends, and visits to my DD in NC I stayed on plan. I know I can lose the last 13 - 15 pounds in the same way as I lost the first 85 - 87 pounds.

But now I'm not sure I want to. I was 252 pounds. At 152 I'd be in the normal weight range (high end) for my height. My BMI would be 23.8. And I'll be very baggy. I've noticed such a difference in how much loose skin there is on my upper arms and thighs in the last 5 or 8 pounds that I'm not sure I want to go any lower right now. I've sort of made up my mind to get to 162 and hold at 90 pounds lost. And in deciding that, I somehow feel like I am giving in to vanity rather than staying on course for the sake of better health. But I'm sure, statistically, those 10 pounds don't matter too much as long as I maintain a healthy lifestyle of eating right and exercising. It's all just numbers.

If I were reading this instead of writing it, I'd be chomping at the bit to get to the end of the thread so I could post all the "right" things to encourage the person who posted. I know what to say to my stupid self. I'm usually so upbeat about this weight loss thing because I've been able to do it. My "down" feeling has thrown me for a loop. I spent Saturday with old friends (WAY old - we had a 60th birthday party for our HS class!) I look less baggy than some and baggier than others, heavy or thin. I know that many people my age have saggy skin just because of our age. Thank goodness I don't have a baggy face. But, oh my, this ain't pretty naked.

I'm not looking for advice. I know losing almost 90 pounds has made a huge impact on the rest of my life. I don't even think I'm going to change my ticker to reflect that my goal might be 162 instead of 152. But I think I need to go into a holding pattern for a while. If I leave my goal at 152, I can still consider the possibility of actually joining the 100 pound club someday. I think it will be best for me if I slow this down until I see if my skin catches up even a little bit. In the meantime, I am going to talk to one of the trainers and the owner at the gym and see about some weight training to build a bit more muscle and take the place of some of the still jiggling fat. I know that muscle weighs more than fat, so I'm also prepared for a slight gain, perhaps.

It is just SOOOOO silly to be tied to a number on the scale. I'll get over this. And actually, my goal was to do this by Christmas. Things might change again before then. Thanks for hanging in there with me for the long haul.

Lin

MrsTee 09-19-2011 10:49 PM

Hi Lin!!!!

Sometimes writing things helps clarify them in your mind doesn't it.

I'm sure the "right" decision will come to you, and reading other threads they do say skin catches up a bit, I notice they say stay 6 months at goal and re-assess( for surgery).

I am closer to your age that lots here, so I hear you loud and clear!! Thank goodness nudity is not complusory.....................

runningfromfat 09-19-2011 10:59 PM

I can relate. My ticker says 140lbs and there certainly is an element there where I'd like to lose an even 100lbs, silly, right? I mean, it's just a measurement in an obscure system and even stranger yet because I weigh myself in kilos every morning. :lol:

I don't think there's anything wrong with stopping early even if it's just for vanity's sake. ;) You're clearly infinitely healthier now than you were at the beginning and you've already made the changes in your life that you needed to. Besides, if you pick a higher goal weight it might be easier for you to maintain in the long run.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

April Snow 09-19-2011 11:01 PM

Lin -

As I've posted before, I am not even setting a final goal at this point. I've been overweight since I was in grade school and at 261 lbs, it seemed absurd to me to think I could tell what I was going to look and feel like at 199, let alone below that.

It was fantastic to start off with the idea of losing 100 lbs, and that goal clearly motivated you to make the fantastic progress you've made so far. But it's also completely understandable that you may need to reassess where you are and where you want to go.

And the great thing is that goals are never set in stone - not that 100 lbs you initially thought about, and not the 90 lbs you are thinking about right now. Stop and give yourself some breathing room. Try on maintenance for size and see how it fits. Give your body and skin and head a chance to catch up with how far you've come. You'll know whether you are at a final goal that you can happily embrace, or if it turns out this is a temporary way station while you plan your ultimate destination.

linJber 09-19-2011 11:49 PM

Well, you guys have made me feel better already. I'm off to bed now and things will look differently tomorrow. You're all right, especially you, Mrs. Tee - nudity isn't even an option!

I have been inspired by so many people in here. It does my heart good to be told I have inspired someone else.

I changed my mini goal in my signature to reflect what I think I need to do for now. But, in the words of Scarlet O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day." We'll just have to see and I need to just follow my own advice to keep on keepin' on. All is good.

Lin