3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Is anyone here doing WW themselves? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/24330-anyone-here-doing-ww-themselves.html)

snowball1 01-29-2003 01:50 PM

Is anyone here doing WW themselves?

Hi, everyone :)

Is anyone here doing WW by just following the plan at home, but not going to meetings?

I'm a little ticked off right now. Dh & I are going to be moving in about 10 months or so for a job opportunity dh has been offered & I will be going to graduate school. We are going to try like mad to get most or all of our debt paid off before we move, since our rent here is so cheap & will be going up when we move. So, we're trying really hard to save all our pennies that we can.

Anyway, I am doing WW at Work, & you join by 20 week sessions for $200+ per session (they do payroll deduction & take $20 out of every paycheck for 10 paychecks). They won't let you pay as you weigh-in, but make you pay for the whole session. Dh & I are feeling that that is $200 that could better be spent towards our move. Don't get me wrong, losing all this weight has definitely been worth it, but we're trying really hard to be frugal right now.

So, I talked with my leader today at weigh-in to ask if I could just pay per weigh-in (& I would only weigh-in once a month or so). She said no, I have to pay for the whole session :mad: Makes me feel like they are more concerned with getting my money than helping me reach my goal. I mean, I realize that they are a business that has to make money, but I am willing to pay for when I do use their services. But, it's like if I don't give them all the money, they don't want my business at all. I really wanted to be a lifetime member some day, but I don't see that happening :(

So, anyway, if you managed to make it through all that whining ;) the point of my post is to ask if anyone is having any luck doing WW themselves at home. It looks like that's what I'll be doing starting February 18. Perhaps if there are a few of us, we could form our own little "WW at home support group" :)

Thanks for listening to me vent :)

Missywoz 01-29-2003 02:22 PM

I am doing WW at home without the meetings.

My story is a little different. The closest meeting to me is over 40 miles away, and that is just a little far for me especially in the winter months.

I would like to begin a support group!!>.

Missy

Charbar 01-29-2003 03:06 PM

I do WW at home. I was going to meetings .. it was more of a social, "I've got to get out of this house" thing (I'm a stay at home mom to a 3 year old" - once I started working part time last September I no longer needed the social aspect to the meetings.

$20 a week is a lot!! My meetings were $10 a week. Is there a place you can go to a meeting? I know that if you went on the pay as you go (had to be min once/month) you only paid $13.

Good Luck!

Dana

Inca's Momma 01-29-2003 04:41 PM

I just started doing WW at home Monday, I have plenty of meetings nearby but I really can't afford the meetings. We got offered an At Work but I definately couldn't pay that all up front.

Chunky Spice 01-29-2003 05:19 PM

I also do WW at home but am a member of a couple online support groups that I use for my support. I hate the meetings... I feel they're all geared toward the woman who only needed to lose 22 pounds (total) and is now trying to get off those last 4 pounds to get to goal weight. :rolleyes:

I know those people struggle too... I just have a hard time relating.:angel:

gonzostar 01-29-2003 05:30 PM

i've considered it, but for right now i'm doing pretty good with my calorie counting. which is close to WW - just not counting in the dietary fiber, right?

well, since i haven't done it, i don't have all the info and point figure-outers and stuff. but i totally belive it can be done on your own, at home. and it will save you some good money. =)

KittyMilk 01-29-2003 07:45 PM

Im doing the WW cd rom. It's pretty good has the complete program and you weigh in every week and it has a graph ect. I think the meetings are a big money pit. They sound terrible expensive over there 20$ is almost $40 au I could think of alot better ways to spend that every week. The cd rom set me back 65$ us and I've been using it on and off for a over a year, money well spent. A support group sounds fun, count me in! :)

muelledk 01-30-2003 12:13 PM

Kayla,
I was doing WW online (13 a month), but that was really just to get me into the swing of things, and learn more about WW. I now, do it at home (or at least, I'm supposed to be doing it). I think that the meetings are more for more support, but I believe that like Chunky Spice, I have found the support elsewhere (mainly here). Good luck in whatever you decide to do and with Grad school (I'm starting Grad school next January)

Sandi 01-30-2003 01:22 PM

well..just be careful. The minute I quit going I started gaining. Or did I quit going because I was gaining? Hmmmm. Anyway, it seems like you want to quit for different reasons, but just be careful that you don't slack off because you lose the weekly weigh-in.

snowball1 01-30-2003 02:16 PM

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom :)

I still have 3 more weeks left of this session to make up my mind, but I am leaning towards doing it at home & drawing my support from other places, like here & my family.

I will still do weigh-in once a week (Wednesdays). I go to the gym at work every day & they have a scale there that is exactly the same as the scale they use at the WW meetings. So, I will be able to continue to track my weight-loss.

I talked more with dh last night & decided that I will try it at home for a month & if I see the scale creeping back up, or slacking off program, I will rejoin at work, or I will go to another center. But hopefully that won't happen!!! :)

BA99TJ 01-31-2003 01:57 PM

I can't BELIEVE you are paying $20 a week!
We only pay $13.

Wait. You're not paying $20 a week, you're paying $10 - 20 weeks for $200 right?