Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 09:30 PM   #1  

Default does a little bit of exercise make any difference?

Hi,
I'm new to exercising-just been doing it a few weeks. My fitness level is negative- so all I've been doing is either riding my exercise bike for ten-fifteen minutes or doing the Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds 15 minute mile tape. (which I can't always complete) I've doing one or the other about five or six times a week.

Will this make any difference at all? I know I have to keep at it to build up any endurance to work out longer, but this little bit of movement seems like such a pathetic amount. I know it's better than nothing...or is it?

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 01-28-2003, 09:35 PM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Sherry.. it sounds like we are in the same boat when it comes to exercise. I do about 10-15 minutes on the treadmill. I have the done the Leslie Sansone tape for beginners - it just about kills me.

From Sept to Dec I worked at Target part-time 10-20 hours a week. I walked most of the time while there. I was dieting at all - but not gaining because of the exercise. After I quit I started to gain- a little exerise makes a big difference!

When you have 100lbs to lose and you barely move all day anything is good for your body.
Today I shoveled the drive for 20 minutes - for most that's just part of life - for me it's exercise!

Dana
Old 01-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #3  
Catwoman

You will get stronger. I started with 20 mins gentle walking 6 months ago, I would puff even with that and have to stop and start, now I walk an hour most days and often more. The difference walking has made to my fitness is amazing. The trick is to keep it up and do it gradually, you'll see results over months not weeks,
Good luck,

Kitty
Old 01-28-2003, 11:51 PM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

A few years ago, I decided to take up running. When I started out, I could barely run 100 yards without stopping. I took it literally feet at a time. After about three months, I was able to complete 1.2 miles, albeit s-l-o-w-l-y. So the answer is yes, every little bit counts, and every little bit adds to your endurance. You'll be counting your exercise in the miles rather than feet in a few months if you just hang in there!
Old 01-29-2003, 12:33 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Years ago, I remember reading about a woman who was 100+, she started exercising by walking to the end of her driveway and back. Everyday she would go a little further. Her main problem is she never exercised before that and so just a little exercise helped her.

I was just thinking about this tonight, but everyone has their own fitness level and it is dependant on how much fat your body has, how much exercise you've done in the past, what medical issues you have and your age. So if you feel like your exercise is challenging you, then that is all you need to do. Slowly increase and you will build up your endurance.

A couple years ago, I first joined a gym and discovered ellipticals. I started at something like 5 minutes and would slowly increase my time. There came a point when the incredible happened, I realized I could go on forever. I was doing 35 minutes of elliptical almost a year later. After gaining a few lbs and not exercising for a little while, i'm back to building up my endurance. I am now at 14 minutes on the elliptical.

No one expects you to run a marathon, but you could build up with that and it could all start with something like walk off the pounds
Old 01-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #6  

Yes, even a little can help, and it's certainly better than nothing. To me exercise is way important because it keeps me more level -- I have a more positive attitude. And, as everyone has said, you WILL improve ... but you won't improve if you don't keep it up. Push yourself ever so slightly to do just a little more ... And even if you have days that you seem to backslide, don't give up!

You may not run a marathon anytime soon ... but then again, why not? Others have gone from a complete state of unfit to competition , why not us? Well, even if that's not a goal you ever want to have, you can still improve your health with whatever small activity you do ... if it's completing that 15-minute-mile tape, you CAN do it! Even if it takes a few months of trying, it will happen - but only if you don't give up!

Pen
Old 01-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

sherry... when i started exercising, i was just out of the hospital, walking with a cane, and i had to lug around an oxygen tank. i counted steps up and down the driveway. [40 steps one way, just FYI!!!]. then i gradually increased by about 10 steps a day. that was in october 2001.

i'm now walking a couple of miles a day, and swimming a half mile, lifting weights [for heaven's sake... is this really the same person???] and the oxygen and cane are long gone.

and it's helped the weight loss journey, absolutely. i'm with the other ladies here. just keep it going, slow and steady, and increase a little every day or two. you'll be real surprised!!!
Closed Thread