Old 08-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Default such a long road!!!

I started losing in April and I've been working at it slow and steady, but omg, I am starting to get sick of it! Up until the last couple of weeks I had been pretty excited and motivated, well very excited and motivated. But recently I have run out of steam and I'm feeling like I wish I was closer to goal so I could relax a little. I am happy to see that I'm still able to stay on plan, though, even when I'm not feeling so excited and when I'm not seeing a whole lot of progress on the scale. I kinda new this would have to happen somewhere along the line in a hundred pound journey and was scared that would be the end.

Does anyone have any encouraging thoughts that help when they're feeling this way? I have been telling myself that this is the hardest part but if I hang in the best is still to come -- and it will get easier again. I think.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

4 months and you're already down almost 40lb? That is awesome!!!!! Great job!

I can understand being burned out...that's how I re-gained all my weight last time I lost it. I've seen some suggestions here when people get burned out they should switch to maintenance mode so they don't revert back to their old ways. Just be careful if you chose to do that...it doesn't mean that you can go back to your old eating habits...which is what I did.

Someone has in their signature: being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining is hard...pick your hard.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247.7/224.3/155

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on your weight loss so far! You are doing great! I know it can discouraging. Keep moving forward. It will eventually come off. What type of exercise and food are you eating?
TransformingMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Oh, I feel your pain. I have so been in the "I'm sick of this and losing motivation" mode. In fact, the whole month of July was pretty much a wash for me, I did not go up but did not really lose either.
I have added in regular exercise and have held myself to the NO EXCUSES allowed not to do it. I also started a blog here. I do not blog every day but sometimes, I find just getting the words out helps.
I have had battles with my scales but I am getting so close that I can see light at the end of the tunnel and that has kind of rekindled my determination.

There is also a post I have printed out called "One Year From There". If I can find it I will post it for you.

Keep going girl! You are doing GREAT!!!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

rubidoux, congrats on all of your progress! Just know that it's normal for motivation to come and go....as you get closer to goal, your motivation will probably increase and you'll be so glad you didn't let a lack of motivation stop you from staying on plan. What other things have helped me in the past? I like to try on clothes that are too big for me or looser than they were before. That's super encouraging. Sometimes, I take small breaks from weighing and just focus on sticking to my plan like crazy glue! I come here and read success stories and ask for help (well, you've already done that). Another thing I do is dress up and do my hair and makeup. I find that it's very motivating. I'm less likely to binge on food if I"m all dressed up. If that doesn't work, I chew gum, go for a walk, do squats, crunches, push ups, etc. Mainly, I don't always have motivation. There were times when I posted something similar to what you posted here and I'm sure I"ll do it again....but I hope we can just remain consistent because it's all about consistency (not perfection).
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I know how you feel hun! I'd roll my eyes at people who said it was all about "commitment" blah blah blah. I "committed" to weight loss every Monday morning of my adult life it seemed. Once I got a bit of perspective, figured out WHY I got so fat, dealt with things, it was easier. I still resented not being able to eat what i wanted when i wanted it - but that was all part of the 'growing up' phase for me. No one gets what they want all the time right?

Something I always found motivating - days when I wanted to give up,etc., I'd put 20 (or 40, 55, wherever I was at) pounds of flour, dog food, anything, into bags and carry them around -- for about 1/2 hour til I was sweating and sore and uncomfortable. Then I'd go "ooohhhh riiiiiiiiiiiiight" hahah and remember WHY i was doing all this !!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #7  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

I sometimes watch documentaries on the super-obese. Not in a "Wow - am I better than them" kind of way, but a "I'm well on my way to being there" kind of way. I never could maintain. I'm either getting fatter or thinner. I need for it to be thinner.
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

This board has helped me tremendously when I needed motivation. I have gone through the goals, mini-goals and maintainers photos more times then I will admit to
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #9  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Oh wow do I feel your pain! I felt the same way- lack of motivation because the scale was not moving as fast as it was in the beginning. I went off plan the month of June and I gained 9 Lbs. back. I was scared to weigh. All it took was to see that weight gain come back so quickly to wake me up again. I just don't want to go back. I can gain weight so quick. I have been working very hard to get back off that almost 10 Lb. gain.
That was a new motivator for me. So hang in there girl- you have done a fabulous job losing in a short amount of time!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #10  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Everyone goes through this. It might seem like a long time, but that time is going to pass - so it may as well pass with you getting healthier and hotter! Make sure you have those small goals and that you really are celebrating them. Not just going yay I lost 10lb. But I lost 10lb so now I get to buy xx. My next goal I'm off to get a facial, its so darn close I'm excited!
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
I can understand being burned out...that's how I re-gained all my weight last time I lost it.
This is good for me to hear because I can see how easy it could happen. I'm happy you're back now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransformingMyself View Post
Congrats on your weight loss so far! You are doing great! I know it can discouraging. Keep moving forward. It will eventually come off. What type of exercise and food are you eating?
My plan is a little onerous, which is probably not helpful. I eat once a day at around 7 pm. For most of the last four months, I was eating 2 g of carb a day, but now I've added whole milk yogurt. Because of my diabetes it is *really* hard for me to lose weight and I don't lose at all on normal diets. My endocrinologist told me that he has never seen a type I lose weight, so I feel lucky to have stumbled on something that works. I don't exercise for weight-loss at all, though I have started walking for fitness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
I have had battles with my scales but I am getting so close that I can see light at the end of the tunnel and that has kind of rekindled my determination.

Keep going girl! You are doing GREAT!!!
Thank you! I had some set-backs in july, too. Ugh! But I am thinking that in another 20 pounds or so I'll start feeling like I have turned that corner, too. I have a mini-goal of 135 because I was at that weight for a long time in my early 20s and felt good there. So, I'm trying not to see 114 as my destination so much as icing on the cake. It's my "low goal" or something. But I will be so excited to see 135, so it's not *that* far away, right?

Luckymommy, I like to try clothes on, too! lol I do myself a little fashion show here about once a week, usually with a couple of pounds or so in between. I feel goofy to do it, but it's exciting to see how things drape on me now. I have thought about now weighing everyday, but the idea scares me! Like what if all **** breaks loose somehow, or what if I excitedly look forward to my end of week weigh-in and it's not very impressive? Gah! It may end up being part of this journey at some point, though. Anyhow, it's comforting to hear that someone who has done as well at this as you have also had low moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I still resented not being able to eat what i wanted when i wanted it - but that was all part of the 'growing up' phase for me. No one gets what they want all the time right?

Something I always found motivating - days when I wanted to give up,etc., I'd put 20 (or 40, 55, wherever I was at) pounds of flour, dog food, anything, into bags and carry them around -- for about 1/2 hour til I was sweating and sore and uncomfortable. Then I'd go "ooohhhh riiiiiiiiiiiiight" hahah and remember WHY i was doing all this !!
Yes! I am very good at the "hunger is not an emergency" idea. But not as comfortable with the "you can never sit down and eat all that you want whatever you want again" idea. So, I'm okay with going without for some period of time, but good grief, I need a meal with some chocolate cake at the end. lol And that's a great idea about carrying the heavy stuff. I always think of my 25 pound toddler and it amazes me that I used to carry that much plus 15 more around all the time. Wow! It does make me wonder what it'll feel like in another 50 or 60 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophronia View Post
I sometimes watch documentaries on the super-obese. Not in a "Wow - am I better than them" kind of way, but a "I'm well on my way to being there" kind of way. I never could maintain. I'm either getting fatter or thinner. I need for it to be thinner.
I just watched that juicing movie today and it was really motivating. I sure wish I could run out and start juicing, but the carbs would not be my friend. I should look for more movies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica Bee View Post
This board has helped me tremendously when I needed motivation. I have gone through the goals, mini-goals and maintainers photos more times then I will admit to
Your mini-goal (not so mini imo) thread is amazing! And very motivating. I like looking at those, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterfish View Post
Everyone goes through this. It might seem like a long time, but that time is going to pass - so it may as well pass with you getting healthier and hotter! Make sure you have those small goals and that you really are celebrating them. Not just going yay I lost 10lb. But I lost 10lb so now I get to buy xx. My next goal I'm off to get a facial, its so darn close I'm excited!
Yes! I've been thinking that I want to get some really great underwear soon. Not like sexy underwear (my kids co-sleep ), but just some nice underwear that fit me well and look like something a young person with a sound body would wear. I am so sick of ill fitting underwear! Right now the 3 pack of XL's are just a smidgen tight on me, so I'm going to try to wait until I hit 170 and then go for it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #12  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Yeh I need new underwear too. New bras, argh, they're so expensive -LOL- Next purchase will be a good sports bra but I tell myself that is a practical expense not luxury item
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

You are doing great! I understand losing motivation. It comes and goes. That is why commitment is more important but motivation does come back.

I think that you have given yourself the best possible advice when you said,
"I have been telling myself that this is the hardest part but if I hang in the best is still to come -- and it will get easier again."

Hang in there!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #14  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Oh wow! You've done such a great job so far, just hang in there! Change up your routine if you have to. Find something to get excited about. Do what you have to. You can do it!
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I agree about changing your routine. Find something the shake up in your routine to get your remotivated! Healthy cooking classes? Rock climbing? Hiking during the coming Fall weather? I find doing something way out of my ordinary helps me keep going. With the weight you have lost I am sure you are getting compliments and noticing how your body is changing. Maybe a makeover could motivate you as well!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote