3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Sugar Addiction (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/241259-sugar-addiction.html)

MsRatFink 08-20-2011 01:26 AM

Sugar Addiction

I did not know that it is really an addiction and not just having a "sweet tooth". I am having such a hard time giving up sugar that I am making the excuses and whatnot to have it. I was told (by my physician) that people who have a sugar addiction go through withdrawals just like those addicted to alcohol or drugs. It's a scary thought.

When I was 21 I gave up cigarettes cold turkey and never looked back because I was so afraid that I would have a stroke or cancer from smoking so why am I not as committed to giving up the sugar that I am so addicted to?? :?:
I was told that I am borderline diabetic, my cholesterol is up, and I can't breath right because I am so heavy. And again, I continue to eat the sugar. It's like it has a very hard hold on me.

I am writing this because I would like to hear from other Sugar Addicts and I would like to know what you are doing to cut it from your life and if there is anything I can do to make the withdrawals a bit less harsh?

Thank you for listening.

StarGetsFit 08-20-2011 01:36 AM

Hi! I'm not a sugar addict like candy, I'm a sugar addict like white carbs.:wave:

Craving sugar can be more than just an "addiction," it can be a sign of insulin resistance and unstable insulin levels. I suggest looking into some supplements to help you maintain steady levels of glucose in your bloodstream. Like D-Chiro-Inositol, but that can be expensive. There's a video here about what it does. There are also some others that can help.

linJber 08-20-2011 01:46 AM

When I cut out white carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) all sugar cravings went away, too. It might be worth a try.

Lin

Porthardygurl 08-20-2011 02:51 AM

i was a serious sugar and carb addict..im talking a lover of those five cent candies coated in sugar..They named that sugar addiction after me lol..I found that when i went on a lower carb diet and cut out all sugar and bread and white stuff..that i stopped craving..now ive been almost a month solid without sugar..I find that drinking diet soda and eating sweets for diabetics help in those craving times..

seabiscuit 08-20-2011 04:12 AM

I have always had a sweet tooth and it is definitely a challenge, I find as far as losing weight and eating healthily.

There is a great book called Sugar Busters, I think worth a read.

kelly315 08-20-2011 04:26 AM

I have doubts whether anyone can actually say they were as much of a sugar addict as I was and am. The reason, flat out, that I gained all this weight is because of candy. Do you know the only thing that helps? Not eating it. After the first day without sugar, I simply did not want it anymore. Sometimes I think about eating sugar, but 98% of the time I'd prefer just to eat savory foods. However, if I do indulge, I want more and more.

April Snow 08-20-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linJber (Post 3998370)
When I cut out white carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) all sugar cravings went away, too. It might be worth a try.

Lin

I would not have identified myself as a sugar or carb addict but it turned out that once I started on a very low carb plan (no starches, no sugars and the only grains are 2 tbs of oat bran a day), I realized that I had that issue because now I can resist both sugar and all starches including baked goods.

So my experience was the same as Lin's - once I gave them up completely, there were no cravings.

linJber 08-20-2011 09:11 AM

Let me say this - I didn't give up those carbs completely - I have them in small portions once in a while. I was totally a bread-aholic. Having a bowl of soup was just a means to eat half a loaf of good crusty bread. Cutting the carbs was a little bit hard, and I did it because of calories and carbs, mostly, not because of the sugar cravings. Then I realized the sugar cravings were also gone. It took a couple weeks. Then I read they go hand in hand. It really is worth a try.

Lin

Curvaliscious 08-20-2011 10:48 AM

My mom once read that chocolate and alcohol addictions are very, very similar, so it's interesting that your dr. mentioned that. For me, I guess I'd begin how I began this new way of eating. Start with just one good day. I think the others are right in cutting out processed foods/carbs. It's so hard, but doable.

mizjeni 08-20-2011 11:07 AM

I AM A SUGAR ADDICT TOO!! It is hard to deal with and I recently had to give up soft drinks, carbs and all that wonderfully bad stuff. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I am now on MF. The best thing I can say about giving up sugar/carbs is stick to it. I was emotional and cried over anything for about 1 week. It was withdrawal. As you are giving it up, know it gets better. People have told me that once it is out of your system, you will crave it less. I struggle everyday. I am taking it one meal at a time.

Here is some of the things that help me:
1- If you have a DVR on your TV, use it and fast forward through all food and soft drink commercials.
2- KNOW YOUR TRIGGER FOODS. What is your sugar weakness? Mine is soft drinks and bread, not so much sweets,deserts or chocolate.
3- For the first 2 weeks of my lifestyle change, I had a friend go to the store for me so I would not be tempted.
4- I used to hit the vending machines at work and drive thrus on the way to and from work if I was having a rough day. Now I do not take money to work, just water and the food I have planned for my meals. No money means no vending machines.
5- In the past, I have resorted to having a beer with dinner. After you have that awful beer taste in your mouth, you won't want sweet desserts. Think of it as beer and ice cream (yuck), beer does not go with cookies, chocolate or cake either.

Know that sugar addictions probably come in many degrees of intensity. I think I have a severe addiction. I have explained to close friends and co workers that they wouldn't ask an alcoholic if they want a cocktail and I would appreciate and need all the support they can give me.

P.S. Since I have given up sugar (07-11-11) I have fallen "off the wagon " once and I was sick (physically sick). It has not stopped my desire for sugar but it helps me fight harder not to have it happen ago.

Sorry this is sooo long. MsRatFink -- I know what you are going thru! I have been there. I am still there. I'd suggest going cold turkey and taking it one hour at a time. Since my initial diabetes diagnosis in July, I have kept my blood sugar around 115, without meds

MsRatFink 08-20-2011 12:38 PM

Thank you all so much for your suggestions :hug: I love this board because when one person is struggling, everyone comes in to lend a hand. It means more than you know to me! I am really liking the idea of my DH giving me a dove chocolate after dinner. I think I will try that to start me off and if that fails, I'm going cold-turkey.

Seabiscuit: I have heard of that book and I am going to go check it out today. I don't know if it's because of reluctance or nerves as to why I haven't read it yet but I'm making that commitment.

mizjeni: One hour at a time, I really think that is going to have to be the way it is for me. I did take myself off of diet soda and omg, that was so hard and so painful, literally. My whole body got sick but after 2 weeks I didn't want it at all and the taste made me gag.

Thanks again Ladies!

peanutt 08-20-2011 12:47 PM

Watching "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" helped push me over the edge to ditch as much sugar and grain/starch carbs as I could. Like others, I wasn't hooked on the sugary candy and chocolate so much as I was hooked on the carbs throughout the rest of my day. That vid is a long one, but a really interesting watch.

geoblewis 08-20-2011 01:26 PM

I just watched the video this week, peanutt, and while I'm not a sugar addict and I have virtually cut it from my life, I've been rather lax about it regarding my sons. But that has changed! Wow! I so hate being manipulated by the government and Big Ag into buying their excuse for food!

I went Paleo earlier this year and had cut all refined and processed food from my diet last year. My type 2 diabetes is almost gone and my most recent A1c has me so very close to normal. Blood pressure normal too! And my weight still hovers just below 300 lbs, so eating right and regular exercise made all the difference for me.

I just had to remove all the refined and processed carbs from my house. And I quit going out for meals (except coffee with cream from Starbuck's). I am not a big fruit eater, but I do have friends who eat fruit quite regularly who have found their cravings for refined sugar have greatly diminished or have gone away. It takes time, but you can do it MsRatFink!