3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Yeah, it's a NSV, but it's a hassle too (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/241235-yeah-its-nsv-but-its-hassle-too.html)

Jo Kittibuck 08-19-2011 06:34 PM

Yeah, it's a NSV, but it's a hassle too

So, I first started this journey 2 1/2 years ago at 280 lbs, with one primary goal : to lose enough weight to get back into wearing costumes to conventions. Specifically one costume which I had long since outgrown. Last year I achieved that goal and wore it proudly. I wasn't entirely pleased with how I looked in it, but it fit, and that was what mattered.

Convention season's coming up again, so I tried on the costume for looks. And I look terrific in it. Better than I ever have in my life. Except... it's too big. By a lot. I'm going to have to buy new pants and a vest, and I haven't budgeted for them. There goes my loot money for the con.

Hah, well, you gotta laugh.

PreciousMissy 08-19-2011 06:39 PM

That is an awesome NSV...perhaps that could be your treat when you get to goal...a completely new costume!!

Lovely 08-19-2011 06:48 PM

I think that's a rockin' NSV :D

ShoeCrazy 08-19-2011 06:52 PM

Yay for you! Better than having to get a new costume cuz the one you have is too small :D

runningfromfat 08-19-2011 06:56 PM

That's a great NSV! Just curious, what kind of conventions are these? Was wondering if you were another Trekkie, like me...

Sophronia 08-19-2011 07:21 PM

Congratulations! How much fun you sound, too! Costumes and conventions - I bet you enjoy those so much more as a fitter person.

=)

Jo Kittibuck 08-19-2011 07:27 PM

Thanks everyone! And runningfrom, it's DragonCon and maybe Anime Weekend Atlanta. Not a Trekkie, but very much the geek. The costume in question is Irvine Kinneas from Final Fantasy VIII (as seen by the pic in my profile page).

That's a good idea PreciousMommy, I'd planned to get some new costumes anyway once I reached a good weight. I suppose now's as good a time as any.

Mama Bee 08-19-2011 08:51 PM

Congrats on the weight loss so far!

As far as the costume parts, can you look at a thrift store or second hand store for a vest and pants that you could spiff up to look like those ones? I guess I can't tell from the picture too well but they look like pretty simple khakis and a black vest... considering you still have 30 lb til goal weight you'll probably move down a few more sizes at least and then will be stuck with more big clothes!! :D

mybestme 08-20-2011 12:27 AM

Congrats!
Do you know anyone that could take the costume in for you? That may be an option for your "in between" size then you can enjoy the event and have a new costume to look forward to for next year.
Just a thought from someone that has taken in several articles of clothing cuz I just dont want to spend all the money for a new wardrobe every 30 or 40 pounds ... the money I save I put aside for when I do cross the finish line :)

cfmama 08-20-2011 12:33 AM

That is an incredibly awesome nsv!!!!!!