3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 100 lb. Club

contentment and re-evaluating goals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
unabashed
 
lottie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,710

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Default contentment and re-evaluating goals

So my ticker goal is 155.

and I know that some of you are starting out at 220 lbs and think you are huge or whatever, but since starting at 299, I"m SO happy at 220. I think I only want to get down to 190. I remember BEING 190 and thinking how great I looked and how incredible I felt about myself. I honestly think for whatever reason this time around I look smaller at a higher weight.

This pic is me at 280some, and then at 220:



and this is me in 2004 at 190


I think I might be happy and healthy at 190. All my blood work is now in order. I'm doing fine, I eat insanely healthy, I exercise (though could do more, and iwll.) I might push it to 175 but I honestly think I might make my first big goal 190 and then go from there.
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it's the courage to continue that counts." --Winston Churchill\

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Onederland Bound!
 
SweetTreat80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 118

S/C/G: 254/Ticker/200

Height: 5'3

Default

Wow girl, you seriously rock curves at 220! Congrats on the weight loss to date, you make a good point though. My ticker goal is 135 but I'm quite certain that when I get down to 170 I will start looking at my body and seeing what I think about it and how I feel about it and I might not want to lose anything else.

As long as you are comfortable in your skin that's what matters.
__________________
SweetTreat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Magalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 167

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

Default

I think you should aim for a healthy weight instead or just a good-looking one. At 190 lbs your are still in the obese BMI, putting you at a higher risk for cardiovascular disease and heart attack. That's not something to aim for !
__________________


Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Michi702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 280

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Default

I think that you should stop when you feel comfortable with yourself. I do understand that from a health perspective 190 might not be ideal, but you already shed 110 pounds which makes a WORLD of difference for your health. And if you're blood work is in order and you are fit from working out then even better.

You may be happy at 190 for a while and then decide to go lower, and that's also totally fine. Sometimes I think people get too wrapped up in the whole BMI thing and forget that there are other ways to measure health and fitness. I also think there's something to be said for keeping some curves - I personally want to stop around 165 because I'll be voluptuous
__________________


Let's support each other on CalorieCount - I'm WasabiSushiSama there.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
jenjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 580

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default

Lottie-I always love reading your posts and admire your style. You rock any outfit you wear!!!

I can totally understand where you're coming from. I'm comfortable at my current weight and have been pretty much maintaining through the summer. I like how clothes fit and that I can buy regular clothes. My health is the best it's been in a decade.

I'm planning on losing more, but my true goal at the moment is to increase my fitness level.

Once you get to 190, you can re-evaluate and decide. There isn't a right or wrong answer.
__________________
JenJen

Live the life you've imagined! - Thoreau


Last edited by jenjen : 08-10-2011 at 11:14 PM.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Walking the Journey
 
Wyllowbelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 126

S/C/G: 307/ticker/175

Height: 5'7

Default

First off, you're already beautiful, so this isn't about looks. In fact, You look SO great that I should probably hide this post from MR. Kiki because he would most certainly drool. And I hate drool on my keyboard.

I think if you're eating and you're exercising, then you've changed your entire outlook and your entire life. And I think these healthy habits will be a part of your daily living - so your body may just hang out where it wants to. If you know you're active, making smart choices, and drinking all your water (blah blah blah etc) then Just LIVE your life. And don't worry about rather you're at goal 1, 2, or 3. Isn't that what all of this is supposed to be about? About LIVING a healthy life, not just waiting to get to a certain point to declare it so?

The only wrong choice would be listening to a fascist beauty standard, which, dahling, it looks like you're already rocking your own.

Enjoy your health!

-Kiki
__________________
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure , the process is its own reward."
~ Amelia Earhart


Wyllowbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
unabashed
 
lottie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,710

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magalo View Post
I think you should aim for a healthy weight instead or just a good-looking one. At 190 lbs your are still in the obese BMI, putting you at a higher risk for cardiovascular disease and heart attack. That's not something to aim for !
I disagree with the bmi scale. So no I'm not worried about what my bmi says.

Also, as long as my hip to waist ratio (which is a big factor for heart disease which btw, I do not carry most of my weight in the middle anymore as you can see in the pics, so I'm good there.), and cholesterol/triglycerides/sugar is in a healthy range I Don't see the problem with being 190.

I'm currently 220 and in a mental health study focusing on weight loss and health. I am monitored closely. I"m a 95% whole foods gluten free vegan with good blood work that is only getting better. I was told I have 'virtually no cardiac risk' by my study doc. I feel being 220 lbs and having the blood work I do is due to my insanely healthy diet and recent loss.

I feel like another 30-45 lbs and I'll be happy with how I look, and the fact is, my health is actually good at my current weight. I have very little left to work on, I'd like my cholesterol to be slightly lower and i"m sure 30-45 lbs from now it will be. Esp with the recent changes/supplement changes I've made to my diet.

I was very unhealthy at 299 lbs with high cholesterol/triglycerides/sugar/the only thing I never had an issue with was blood pressure. My heart felt like it was gonna pop after eating at times and I was on the verge of developing sleep apnea (so says my bf after hearing the way I breathed in my sleep.) ALL of these problems are either entirely gone or improved to almost perfect levels.

If it's concern your speaking from, thanks for the concern, but from a health standpoint I do think it's possible to be overweight and healthy. Maybe not morbidly obese and healthy, not 299 lbs and healthy, which is where I was, but right now, all signs point to yes, it is possible. The goal is to stay that way and to improve.

I've seen people my height who are 155 lbs, and honestly, I'm not interested in looking like that. I didn't do all this to go from being unhappy with the way I looked and unhealthy, to unhappy with the way I look and healthy. I know there is a good middle ground. For me that middle ground is probably going to be the 175-190 lbs range.

Also, no offense, but you want to be 95 lbs, so I'm not real sure why you're even in this thread, and two, we clearly have different ideas of attractiveness AND health.
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it's the courage to continue that counts." --Winston Churchill\

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
unabashed
 
lottie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,710

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTreat80 View Post
Wow girl, you seriously rock curves at 220! Congrats on the weight loss to date, you make a good point though. My ticker goal is 135 but I'm quite certain that when I get down to 170 I will start looking at my body and seeing what I think about it and how I feel about it and I might not want to lose anything else.

As long as you are comfortable in your skin that's what matters.
haha, thanks!
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it's the courage to continue that counts." --Winston Churchill\

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
unabashed
 
lottie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,710

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi702 View Post
I think that you should stop when you feel comfortable with yourself. I do understand that from a health perspective 190 might not be ideal, but you already shed 110 pounds which makes a WORLD of difference for your health. And if you're blood work is in order and you are fit from working out then even better.

You may be happy at 190 for a while and then decide to go lower, and that's also totally fine. Sometimes I think people get too wrapped up in the whole BMI thing and forget that there are other ways to measure health and fitness. I also think there's something to be said for keeping some curves - I personally want to stop around 165 because I'll be voluptuous
voluptuous is fab. and yeah my blood work is good, so I'm not too terribly worried about that. I might stay at 190 for a few months and then try and get down to 175, but I have no desire to be smaller than that.
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it's the courage to continue that counts." --Winston Churchill\

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
unabashed
 
lottie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,710

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen View Post
Lottie-I always love reading your posts and admire your style. You rock any outfit you wear!!!

I can totally understand where you're coming from. I'm comfortable at my current weight and have been pretty much maintaining through the summer. I like how clothes fit and that I can buy regular clothes. My health is the best it's been in a decade.

I'm planning on losing more, but my true goal at the moment is to increase my fitness level.

Once you get to 190, you can re-evaluate and decide. There isn't a right or wrong answer.
congrats on the improved health! I need to increase fitness too. It's difficult cuz I work two jobs but I'm cutting down to one in a few weeks. Woooo!
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it's the courage to continue that counts." --Winston Churchill\

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
unabashed
 
lottie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,710

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllowbelle View Post
First off, you're already beautiful, so this isn't about looks. In fact, You look SO great that I should probably hide this post from MR. Kiki because he would most certainly drool. And I hate drool on my keyboard.

I think if you're eating and you're exercising, then you've changed your entire outlook and your entire life. And I think these healthy habits will be a part of your daily living - so your body may just hang out where it wants to. If you know you're active, making smart choices, and drinking all your water (blah blah blah etc) then Just LIVE your life. And don't worry about rather you're at goal 1, 2, or 3. Isn't that what all of this is supposed to be about? About LIVING a healthy life, not just waiting to get to a certain point to declare it so?

The only wrong choice would be listening to a fascist beauty standard, which, dahling, it looks like you're already rocking your own.

Enjoy your health!

-Kiki
Thanks hon! I agree.
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it's the courage to continue that counts." --Winston Churchill\

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
linJber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW PA
Posts: 1,609

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Default

Everyone is entitled to decide how much they want to weigh. And everyone has their own view on BMI, "normal" weight ranges, etc.

Lottie - at 190 you would be still about 10 pounds in the obese category according to BMI. At 180 you become just overweight. But I'm going to say something here that I hope no one - especially you, Lottie, takes offense at. BMI charts are approximate and cover a wide range of weight that's normal for every height. I am totally flat chested but you certainly are not. I think if everything else were equal (height, waist size, hips, etc.,) you could be at the same level of BMI as I am even if you outweigh me by 10 or 12 pounds because pf the difference in boobage. That said, I agree wholeheartedly with readjusting goals as we get closer. A healthy BMI is important, but so is the ability to maintain a given weight. Do what feels right for you. You're doing a fantastic job.

Magalo - I see you are 5'-3" tall and your goal is 95 pounds. Do you realize that that according to BMI, the lowest ideal weight for your height is about 104 pounds? At 95 pounds your BMI is only 16.8 - that is well into the "underweight" category. Please be healthy in this journey.

Lin
__________________


Life style change started on Jan 13, 2011. I was going to lose 100 pounds by Christmas.
I lost 93 pounds by Oct 1, 2011 and am holding there for now. We'll see what happens.
New goal: To maintain at about 160 Final Goal: To decide if I need to lose more
Just Keep On Keepin' On
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
unabashed
 
lottie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,710

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Default

lol. I"m not offended. I was blessed. (Cursed?) lol, in that area.

Yes everyone has a right to an opinion, if you were referring to my comment to her, but I do get a little annoyed when skinny people with weight goals like hers come in and preach health to me when I"m posting on a forum designed for people who are at least somewhat in my situation. She's being a hypocrite, if she were really concerned about bmi vs health she wouldn't have a 95 lb weight loss goal.

I never 'buy it' when skinny people tell me I need to lose for health when they wouldn't dream of gaining for health. I've read that even though a bmi of 25 is what people shoot for, that a bmi of 28 is where the least diseases are found.

It just always sounds condescending, and that may just be my real life experience and past issues showing through, but that is just how I take it.

Didn't mean to offend.
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it's the courage to continue that counts." --Winston Churchill\

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #14
Made of Starstuff
 
Lovely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 8,931

Default

I see nothing wrong with selecting a goal, sticking with it for a while and re-evaluating when you get there. Even if re-evaluating simply means "I'm good with where I'm at!"

Not everyone's goals are the same around 3FC, we all know that =) In fact, not everyone even puts the same stock into the same fitness evaluations. (The BMI charts (ie glorified height/weight chart) are particularly ...not controversial that's not quite the word I would use, but ... they're not universal for all people.)

Some people's goals are to stop using as much medication, some are to get their numbers in line, some are to get to a certain size, and some are a specific number.

Lottie - Keep on keepin' on. I'm amazed that so far you've been able to lose weight and drastically improve your health in the process. Three cheers for you!
__________________
~Made of star stuff~
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
MrsTee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 424

Default

My goal wieght for the moment puts me in the obese catorgory well and truly - but when I get there I'll be so darn happy - I might well just stay there!!!!!!
We all are different shapes and sizes, I am very heavily built only 5 foot 7 but size 12 feet, and hands bigger than my husbands, and broader shoulders than the average man. My ideal weight is not likely to be comparable to a slight build.
__________________


Christmas goal - 110 kilos Reached 19.12.2011
MrsTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2