3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   My blood work (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/239685-my-blood-work.html)

lottie63 08-01-2011 08:59 AM

My blood work

So it seems I forgot to make a thread about this when I got my blood work.

So in october of 2010 I went vegan. I was borderline diabetic and had NEVER seen my fasting sugar under 100, possibly never seen it under 105 actually.

I had read that a whole foods vegan diet (from the physicians committee for responsible medicine, www.pcrm.org ) could prevent/reverse diabetes. I had been vegetarian for the last year and a half at that point.

So I went Vegan in October and as of July my fasting blood sugar was 93!!!!!!!! I could NOT believe it! I'm so happy! :)

My cholesterol is still about 8 points higher than it should be, my triglycerides are within' a healthy range, I was told I have virtually no cardiac risk. Although...

My triglycerides were an amazing 110 when I had it checked in february, it's actually gone up to 146, which is still within' a healthy range but quite a spike. I was researching stuff about heart disease and stumbled on an article that said if vegans don't supplement with b12, they can get heart disease and high triglyceride numbers. In feb, I was taking b12, over the last few months I seem to have forgotten, I'm taking it again and we shall see how it impacts my triglyceride numbers. As a side note, I was b12 deficient when I still ate meat. Myself, my gma and my mom are all deficient, lack the enzyme that helps to absorb it in your stomach so I take the sublinguals.

I'm on a medication that can raise your cholesterol, so I'm starting to do citrucel fiber and flax meal everyday that I can in hopes of bringing it down. I personally would like it to be around 150, if not 140. Hopefully next time it will have gone own at least 30 points. I'm in a study, I get it checked every 6 months.

My a1c was well within' range as well, looks like almost everything has improved!

mj5 08-01-2011 09:52 AM

lottie--FANTASTIC!!! You are doing awesome, keep it up!

eyre13 08-01-2011 10:00 AM

That's awesome! Keep it up!!!!!

joyfulloser 08-01-2011 10:03 AM

THIS is really what this journey is all about! :congrat:

Skinny in Oz 08-01-2011 11:12 AM

Your hard work and dedication to a good eating plan are paying off in the best possible way, Lottie! You sound very, very knowledgeable about your personal medical background and the implications of both your current diet and your old diet --- I am impressed! Congratulations on a great report from your doctor and the vastly improved health that goes with it!

:bravo:

JamiSue3916 08-01-2011 11:16 AM

:carrot: GREAT JOB LOTTIE!! :carrot:

astrophe 08-01-2011 11:20 AM

WTG! keep going! :carrot:

A.

Sophronia 08-01-2011 12:13 PM

I'm totally trying a vegan diet too! I did it before, and it seemed much easier back then. I just feel like I have to eat every few hours to avoid being ravenous (and fairly high quantities of low-cal foods, too, so eating is more time consuming), and with my current schedule, I am finding it difficult. It's so much easier to grab that double cheeseburger, and be full/queasy for hours on end. (It never felt good to eat it - but I could avoid thinking about food again for a while.)

Any advice for a newbie vegan? Before - I just ate all the time. Now, I can't seem to fit it into my schedule. I feel so much better - and exercising is so much easier. But between going to the bathroom so frequently with my increased water and eating all of the time, I'm not producing at the rate I need to produce to survive!

diyana 08-01-2011 01:57 PM

That's fantastic, Lottie!! I'm so happy for you! You really are reclaiming your health and life!

DixC Chix 08-01-2011 04:57 PM

Wonderful progress and results!! Congrats!

Arctic Mama 08-01-2011 05:30 PM

The blood sugar is GREAT! Congratulations! I hope you can treat the triglycerides and cholesterol with those supplements and diet changes, keep us posted on how that works :)