Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Default Getting to the gym!!!

I am having such a hard time getting to the gym. At first I was all intimidated to even go in and then I finally after like 6 mons got in there because I had a groupon about to expire. My son was in afternoon camp and it was a perfect schedule. Went away last week and now I can not figure out how to go back since my son is not in camp and with me all day. DH works 9-6. I want to start the New Rules of Lifting for Women but feel so intimidated by the guys lifting in the weight room that looked pretty muscly! Also am having a hard time figuring out when to go as I don't want to go when it is busy.

Any ideas/encouragement/been there stories?
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 161/132/120

Height: 5'2

I felt exactly the same way!! But last week I just bit the bullet and joined my nearest gym. I have been three times now andhave an appointment with a personal trainer this morning. I am terrified of being weighed and having my body fat measured - but then again who cares what some pumped up guys in the gym think!! I just tell myself they are there every night becuase it is the only place they fit in!! Poor guys
Michelle2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #3  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I would definitely suggest getting making an appointment with a trainer. They'll familiarize you with the machines and set up an initial workout plan for you which makes things easier. I would also suggest trying some of the classes out. It'll give you an opportunity to meet other members and even get to know some of the instructors. Then, if at all possible, get into a routine for the days and times you go and you'll start recognizing other folks and could make some friends!
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 315/ticker/180

Height: 5'10"

I am kind of new to getting back to the gym myself. I am finishing week number 3. So far, I've been going 5-6 days a week. I just made going to the gym part of my morning routine. Get up, put on workout clothes, brush teeth, get the kiddos (dogs) fed and out to potty, make my water bottle, and go. Then when I get home, I make breakfast (protein of course), and then shower and start my day.

In previous attempts to make going to the gym part of my life, I tried going in the afternoons or evenings, but I really struggled with staying on track. I would be too exhausted from the day, or not want to be there when everybody (all the regular Mr. and Mrs. Fitness) were getting off work to work out, etc.

You will have to figure out what works for you, but when you do have it figured out, you may want to make it like an appointment you *have to* attend in your planner and that makes it easier to stay on track (at least for me anyway).

Good luck! you can do this!
allison0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

You don't need a trainer to use The New Rules since it's not machine-based, it's free-weight based. Do NOT let the boys scare you. They couldn't care less about what you're doing, they are too into what they are doing themselves.

Does your gym have daycare? Or can you trade off babysitting with a friend/neighbor for an hour a day since everyone's out of school right now? Can you go super early in the AM before your hubby leaves for work?

Remember, one day VERY soon you will be out-lifting those boys. I can out-lift more than half the guys at my gym INCLUDING the two college boys that are interning in my office right now. They can push more weight per rep but I can go on for double what they can - stamina, baby.

There's a solution for you, you will just have to be kind of inventive about it.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #6  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

I gotta agree with DCHound about just figuring out a creative way to get your son covered. She's given lots of great suggestions, but I have a few thoughts. First, unless your son is a baby, he would probably love doing cardio with you. If he's old enough, he could join you for walks or brisk walks or runs (maybe?). I know my kids always have loved doing work-out videos, even if their form is not quite perfect.

I'm not familiar with the New Rules, but lots and lots of weight training programs can be done with just a few free weights and/or resistance bands. And, of course, there are lots of strength training exercises that rely on a person's own body weight.

It may take a few times to find the "right" solution - but once you do, you'll move more quickly to that place where you fit into the medium shirt or start dropping pants sizes, as some of the threads just posted discuss.
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Working out child care and a personal schedule is up to what works for you and the others have that covered. I just want to echo the thought that you shouldn't worry about what anyone else in the gym thinks. If nothing else, they're going to notice the steady improvement in weight and ability. Don't let that be a stumbling block.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #8  

Thank you all for the encouragement and ideas. I am going to get up early tomorrow and go to the gym before DH goes to work.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #9  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison0102 View Post
In previous attempts to make going to the gym part of my life, I tried going in the afternoons or evenings, but I really struggled with staying on track. I would be too exhausted from the day, or not want to be there when everybody...
I had the same problem before, Allison. I am SIGNIFICANTLY more consistent this time. Going in the morning, I make it 5 out of 7 days for sure...sometimes even 6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
You don't need a trainer to use The New Rules.
I just read about this in another post and bought the book. It sounds intriguing. I can't wait to check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflymama View Post
Thank you all for the encouragement and ideas. I am going to get up early tomorrow and go to the gym before DH goes to work.
Great job! I can't wait to hear about how your first day goes!!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #10  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

Hey Butterfly - Just checking in to see how your trip to the gym went. I hope it was fabulous!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

The gym at my school costs $150 dollars for the summer. While it's worth it, I decided to invest that same money into something longer lasting and more convenient. I found an elliptical on craigslist for the same price. If I was to be honest with myself, I would probably primarily be using an elliptical at the gym anyway (at least until I'm fitter and able to do more than a fast walk on the treadmill), and I would probably only go every other day (max). This way, I can work out right here, and I do it significantly more often.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #12  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Ahhhh juggling life yup it's hard. But don't worry about the people at the gym, those guys are too busy pumping themselves up to worry what's going on around them. You gotta start somewhere right? You might as well bite the bullet and go, the feeling and accomplishments afterwards will be enough rewards to keep you going back for more! Promise! You can make time, even if it's only 30mins, it's something. I'm a single mother of 2 boys but my workout time is MY time. Make this time to make it all about you and nobody else. That's what keeps me going. It's easy to say "oh gosh the boys have swimming lessons and I have to do groceries, crap what about that laundry" Instead of saying " Ok by 2pm today I am having ME time and working out" You can do this and I hope you made it to the gym! If not tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it....you can always make new choices tomorrow. Good luck!

Last edited by InsideMe; 07-29-2011 at 01:04 PM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #13  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I don't have anything new to add...other than been there, done that.

Also...at my gym I am always the only woman in the weight room. BUT, those first few times, I turned up my ipod and went in and did my thing.

Now, I have "gym friends" we all workout around the same times...check in w/ each other to make sure no one is slacking and honestly...a few of them have helped me a lot when I wasn't sure how to do something. I NEVER would have asked them in the beginning, but I have realized we are all there for the same reason...to be healthy. And no, they aren't paying any attention to what you are doing. Just do your thing.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #14  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

I forgot! I also wanted to agree about the muscle-bound guys. I have found the ones in the gyms I have attended to be extremely generous. They don't want to spend all their time answering my silly questions, but have always been extremely gracious with a question here and there. Yay for weights! And for sweet muscle-bound guys!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #15  

Ok so unfortunately I didn't make it this morning I slept in and we are camping this weekend so had to get ready for camping (yeah excuses) Did go for a bit of a walk this evening however while DH bathed DS.

I do resolve to get to the Gym on Tuesday morn! I will do this. My DH said the sweetest thing. He said "I have seen you feel intimidated by things before and you are always able to conquer your fear"

Also thanks for the stories of the gym boys, that helps.