3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   "Protein Power" the book (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/23927-protein-power-book.html)

nelie 01-18-2003 01:17 PM

"Protein Power" the book

I have been doing a reduced carb plan for the past 3 weeks. I'm not following a specific designed plan other than my own, but I really am interested in reading about things regarding weight loss. Someone recommended the book "Protein Power" to me, so I picked it up at the bookstore last night and I am already over 100 pages into it.

It is written by two doctors (husband/wife). I think it probably does what no other low carb book does, explains the science of low carb dieting. It also tells you things to discuss with your doctor and tests to take and things to watch out for. I think it is a pretty good read for anyone, whether you plan to follow the plan or not. I didn't buy the book to follow their plan, but now I started thinking about it, more so because I can probably eat more carbs than I do now because it discounts fiber carbs.

Overall, just a very good read no matter what plan you are on and its nice that someone finally tells you why low carb diets work.

KittyMilk 01-18-2003 05:46 PM

I haven't read that book but I will check it out. Recently I read that your burn up 23% of protiens cals when you digest it, all I know is I struggle to lose eating high fibre low cal but now I've gone back to lowcarbing the weight is just dropping off. Protien is so much more filling as well. When I used to eat loads and loads of vegetables I would be hungry again in an hour. Now I may have a tuna salad for lunch and it has similar calories but keeps me full all afternoon. I think eating low G.I food helps alot as well.

Kitty

SuchAPrettyFace 01-18-2003 08:55 PM

Just be careful. Too much protein is not good for your kidneys.

nelie 01-19-2003 12:22 AM

The book goes over kidneys and protein also. Main thing is talking to your doctor, especially if you have damaged kidneys already. It also gives you a way to calculate how much protein you need on a daily basis. So far from what I've gathered (I'm on chapter 6), is that they encourage a real balance of diet and it is more forgiving than Atkins I believe. They aren't concerned if you go over your protein allotment though and refer to other studies of eskimos which have a very high fat/protein diet naturally.

I have been trying to read different books on dieting/eating/cooking, not just low carb books but low fat and nutrition and other stuff that may be helpful to me. This book I believe is one of those books that is pretty good info, no matter if you are a low carber or not.