3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Scary Dieting (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/23866-scary-dieting.html)

Sandiemcr 01-16-2003 12:38 PM

Scary Dieting

You know.. dieting scares me. (Yes.. I have food issues). But still.. it scares me. I talk to people with their diets, and they have these grandeous ideas.. but they aren't lifestyle changes. They're either too rigid.. or too much work. Or.. just weird. I know.. they *intend* to stick to them. They *swear* they can live this way, if it means lower weight.. less fat, etc. But.. at the grand ole age of 40.. how many times have I seen, and done.. just the opposite take place.

The ladies at my son's school, for example... they're all on WW, and have found out that they can snack on popcorn. (and they know it's not limitless).. but they're eating popcorn for lunch.. all the time. They snack on it. They're influencing others who aren't on WW.. and they're eating popcorn instead of food. Pardon me.. but how long is this going to last?

My neighbour has decided she's dieting. She's fat counting, and carb counting, and monitoring protein etc. She's journaling her food. She's refusing to eat out.. or eat at friends. She has bought all different food, and different books. She's gotten rid of all of her favourite things, and she's going to her mom's in Florida for a few weeks. She's not eating anything she likes. No disrespect.. but I know she's not going to stick to this. It's too rigid.

How do you find that *something* that works for you? Are you in a lifestyle that will drop the weight, and that you can live with?

Sandie

SuchAPrettyFace 01-16-2003 01:44 PM

Yes, some of the people on diets scare me.

"I'm eating all protein, no carbs."

That's beautiful, sweetheart. Your kidney will thank you for it, I'm sure.

"I don't eat any fat at all"

No wonder your hair is falling out.

The 2 above statements were made by the woman who married my uncle 22 years ago. I'd call her "Aunt", but just don't feel that way about her.

My nephrologist said I cannot do a high protein diet. And I know that you have to have at least some fat in your diet. But what can I tell her? She still sees me as the 6 year old @ her wedding.

I think that *drastic* changes don't work for anyone, Sandie. I think it's all about the baby steps. Finding solutions you & your family can live with, not "Ok, we're eating healthy for the next, I dunno, until I get discouraged I guess". If you make the changes slowly enough, they should be easier to stick with.

I'm @ a lifestyle right now that is dropping the weight, and one I can live with. I've already tried a soda here, a donut there & discovered that my body WILL NOT ALLOW ME to "treat" myself in such a way. I have to stick to CD's, books and a manicure, b/c my body likes the way I've been treating it, and wants the good habits to continue.

I just had a dirty-hippie in-touch-w/-the-universe moment there, but do you know what I mean?

rochemist 01-17-2003 11:12 PM

Any rigidity got to go. It why I have a tendency to really believe in the free day and the mini-meal concept. Mini-meals keep me from being screaming hungry and free days let me have a little taste of life. Also I like to set short OP days to decide what I like to try. For 5 days I will lo-carb it and the like or say the cabbage soup diet for 7 days.

I agree with the above statement. I really am trying to keep track by journaling my food, binge triggers and foods I am sensitive to. I am sensitive to alot of bread and rice, bread also can act like a trigger. I wrote down all the milk products I had yesterday. Figured out all my precious bathroom time!

Stick a fork in me I am done!
Miss Chris

Grandota 01-17-2003 11:51 PM

What is the cabbage diet? isn't that like a lot of fiber.?

nelie 01-18-2003 12:41 AM

First magazine had a version of the cabbage soup diet which is a 7 day diet in which you eat different things and can eat as much cabbage soup as you want. I figured it'd be a great jump start, I did it, and lost 0. Week after that I lost though when I was just doing my normal low carb.

People who aren't willing to make positive changes for their bodies may try to cheat legally. I am certainly not excluded from that group. How many people when they were doing a low fat diet, ate angel food cake because it was low in fat? Nevermind all the sugar in it. Its a legal cheat, but not good for your body.

I think diet plans should focus more on eating the good stuff first and then other stuff for special ocassions. Like maybe at lunch, eat something nutritious then maybe a little popcorn as a snack a little later.

Jennelle 01-18-2003 11:59 AM

Okay, I think I took offense to that last post. :mad: I AM most CERTAINLY willing to make positive changes to my body. I strongly believe my free day is teaching me to eat like a normal person (by that I mean not having to always shy away from food just because I launch into a pig-fest around it).

What works for you might not work for me. What works for me might not work for you. Let's not get all holier-than-thou soapbox about it. Whether you believe it or not, I AM WORKING JUST AS HARD AS YOU ARE AT THIS. For you to intimate otherwise was really a slap in the face.

nelie 01-18-2003 01:04 PM

Jenelle (and any others), I'm sorry if you took offense. Honestly, I do believe anyone who seeks out support on this forum or any other similar ones, is trying to make positive changes.

Also, there are so many diets out there, some may work, some may not, but as long as you are doing your best then thats all anyone can ask of you. No one expects you to be perfect or on your diet 24x7. This morning, I was thinking about a night out that I will be having soon and how I am going to handle it. Nothing is wrong with a free day, I know some diets have free days and I really wasn't referring to that in anyway.

Though we know there are people out there who half heartedly exercise or half heartedly follow their diet plan. Biggest example is a standard low fat diet plan where you eat junk food all the time, but its low in fat, instead of stuff that provides your body with nourishment. I'm not referring to one day or even just one meal, but all the time, every day every meal. I've had personal experience with this myself and even though deep down I knew it wasn't good for my body, it was within the boundaries of my diet so why not?

rochemist 01-18-2003 11:13 PM

I liked the cabbage soup thing actually and it reminded me more of being a vegetarian again than actual high fiber. I didn't lose the amazing 10 lbs. promised, but I did drop 4 lbs. that have stayed off. It was kind of fun too, I figured out all kinds of interesting ways to spice up the soup. Of course I ate in my min-meal format so it might have not been the soup at all LOL! I find that constant fuel leaves me more satisfied.

I totally agree with Nellie that we should eat the good stuff first. But I think its the flexibility to take it 1 day at a time has to be there too. Like when I am PMSing nothing takes the edge off like the 72% Dark Cocoa Demitasse at Godiva. There is a myriad of reasons, chocolate has feel good substances and magnesium. But I know the proper dose is 3. I can work it into my diet, so I will and if that means giving up an apple or chicken breast I will ;-)

Miss Chris