Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #16  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Don't let them get to you girl. People who attack are feeling insignificant to something inside of themselves, they need to feel better so they judge. Gosh I would hate to be that person and feel that way skinny or fat! Obviously they aren't happy, it's all about how you feel on the inside. I agree you are out there exercising that's GREAT! If they can't see that, then poo poo on them, it's THEIR issue. You know once you get into your rightful hot body you worked so hard for if you saw an overweight person working out you would send them positive energy, and that's all that matters.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Hear hear is right!!!

You know, as self conscious as I can be sometimes, I don't get a flying (BLEEP) if people look at my fat butt when I exercise- at least I'm doing it!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #18  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

Very well said!
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think some people who criticize fat people's clothing choices have self-esteem issues, but I think more often it's a social issue. They do it, because it's socially acceptable to do so, because no one is telling them not to, and because they get reinforcement from it (people agree, often even other fat people).

This reminds me of the swimming suit thread. There are so many fashion rules for fat folk, and so many people willing to be fashion police (regardless of their own fat - "I know I'm fat, but at least I wouldn't wear that," they say in defense).

And the "rules" are so insane, that function and comfort is expected to be last priority not first. Oh, no because first priority must always be protecting decent folk from the horrorific experience of witnessing our bare flesh or any hint of jiggle.

God forbid a fat person wear clothes for comfort or function (and yes, I am being sarcastic).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #20  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I wear spandex... it stays in place and keeps my thighs from chaffing. To me, it is a necessity. And if people want to laugh at the fat girl running... well... I'd rather be fat than ugly!!

Besides... I silently judged the toned guy running in the wispy little running shorts... no shirt in 50 degree weather. Maybe he was worried about catching his nipple rings on a shirt? IDK.

I think if anyone said anything to me about my sretchy shorts - I would just point back at them and laugh.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #21  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

Just to be clear, no one has ever said anything directly to me. It's just that I work out at a student health center (I commute 40 miles to go to school, and so this works best with my schedule and is free with my tuition), so most of the people there are pretty fit. I have just heard the comments from people talking about other people, many of them making comments directly to me. I often wonder if these same people tell racist jokes to black people. Can't they see I am fat? I respond the same way I always do when someone says something negative about someone else to me-with an effort to be gentle and firm in my refusal to diss someone else.

The internet, however, is awash in this hate-filled invective. I just Googled "Fat people in tight clothes," and every entry on the first page of results is filled with anger at fat people who wear tight clothes. "I don't hate fat people. I just hate fat people who wear really tight clothes." There's even a Facebook group devoted to it.

And as I said in the OP, I don't care. I have thought about wearing looser shorts over it, as someone suggested, but it's really not comfortable. In the scheme of what's important to me, someone else's uninformed disgust does not rank high, especially compared to my desire to become healthier. Thanks to everyone for their support! And you're right - form for weight lifting is another great reason to wear clothes that fit. I think I may go to the Facebook page created to make fun of fat people who wear tight clothes and re-post what I said earlier. =)
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 305 / ticker / 175

Height: 5' 10"

I'm going to admit something...

I'm fat. And I used to judge overweight people who wore spandex. Honestly.. before I really admitted to myself that I was fat and needed to do something about it.. I was just as bad as some of the skinniest people. I had a huge problem with judging others. As I've started this journey, though, I've realized that a lot of the reasons I had for judging them was because I wanted to reassure myself that they were worse than me somehow.

Horrible revelation that has changed my entire way of looking at things. Especially now that I'm one of those people. And now that I exercise, I totally understand why they do it! Things jiggle, and they rub together and they bounce uncomfortably. Having tight things to hold them down is a life-saver! If I didn't have those spandex pants/shorts my thighs would be bright red with chaffing. If I didn't wear that bra that looks way too snug and that tight shirt over the top of it, my boobs would bounce painfully when I jogged. Even my arms would rub uncomfortably against my side and chaff. It probably looks ridiculous to people who are driving by as I huff and puff down the street. I've had people yell out their windows or honk at me as they drove by. It's embarrassing. But I'm exercising anyway. I'm saving my own life. And I no longer judge anyone else for doing the same thing.
sabrinalecompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 61"

you tell 'em girl!
dj mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #24  
MoveIt.GrooveIt.RokOut2it

S/C/G: 335-175in2003. Now 235/220/135

Height: 5'8"

this is great..

I also wear spandex, that way when I pass the mirrors (and the gyms allways make sure they have mirrors every where) I can see the fat pockets on my hips, belly, below my ***, thighs and back lol keeps me determind and reminds me why Im sweating like a pig in frontta all these strangers
Me1stAllways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #25  

Quote:
Besides... I silently judged the toned guy running in the wispy little running shorts... no shirt in 50 degree weather. Maybe he was worried about catching his nipple rings on a shirt? IDK.
Some folks run hot.

I'm in shorts (you'd call them wispy and little, I call them comfortable) until around 35-40 degrees. As it gets cooler I add gloves, then switch to long sleeves way before I even think about covering my legs. The only weird comments I've heard have been from people who I look fitter than.

Anecdata, most of the skimpily-dressed runners I know are (a) thin and (b) hard-core runners who've been running for a long time.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #26  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinalecompte View Post
I'm going to admit something...

I'm fat. And I used to judge overweight people who wore spandex. Honestly.. before I really admitted to myself that I was fat and needed to do something about it.. I was just as bad as some of the skinniest people. I had a huge problem with judging others. As I've started this journey, though, I've realized that a lot of the reasons I had for judging them was because I wanted to reassure myself that they were worse than me somehow.

Horrible revelation that has changed my entire way of looking at things. Especially now that I'm one of those people. And now that I exercise, I totally understand why they do it! Things jiggle, and they rub together and they bounce uncomfortably. Having tight things to hold them down is a life-saver! If I didn't have those spandex pants/shorts my thighs would be bright red with chaffing. If I didn't wear that bra that looks way too snug and that tight shirt over the top of it, my boobs would bounce painfully when I jogged. Even my arms would rub uncomfortably against my side and chaff. It probably looks ridiculous to people who are driving by as I huff and puff down the street. I've had people yell out their windows or honk at me as they drove by. It's embarrassing. But I'm exercising anyway. I'm saving my own life. And I no longer judge anyone else for doing the same thing.
Kudos to you! We have all judged, myself included. I think it takes great courage to admit yes we have all been at fault of judging others, but we have also gained the awareness that acceptance of people of all shapes and sizes, gender, sexuality, race and culture is truely what needs to happen. Thank you for being so honest
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'll tell you what bothers me about how people dress - inappropriate clothes for their age! I was recently at a concert with my brother and his wife. The venue was very small - 1000 people - so we had a good chance to see the whole crowd as we waited in the lobby for the doors to the theater to open. The average age of the crowd was 50 - 60, as you might expect at a concert by someone whose rock and roll career started in the 1960's. Most were in jeans and we saw many interesting rock and roll tee-shirts. Then we saw HER - the 60 something woman (she was in good shape, I have to admit, for any age) in the 5" heels, plunging neckline, and a skirt so short I wouldn't have been able to get away with it in 1968 when "barely covering your butt" was too long! She looked ridiculous! We noticed lots of people looking and then whispering. She would have looked a thousand times better if she had worn something more appropriate. Even clingy and sexy would have worked and she'd have looked like a million bucks

Tight gym clothes are appropriate! Hoochie mama clothes are not!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 245/223.2/125

Height: 5'4"

OMG, I would never be seen in spandex! I have worn it under a baggy shirt with a pair of baggy shorts on top, cause this way people won't notice I am fat, right??

I admit, I do look at overweight people in tight clothes and wonder why they are dressed like that....how can they walk around smiling and doing their own thing when they are bulging out of their clothes??

But, it is not a negative judgement on them, more of one on myself. I can't even pretend to have the confidence to wear tight clothes and walk around with my head up. But if you can do it, more power to you.

I do try not to stare, but admit I can't help but look and think "how come they feel able to be themselves and I am constantly trying to hide - what really can't be hidden - in baggy, layered clothes?"
leacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Laeci - I think the original post was about spandex at the gym. I think anything goes at the gym. You have to be comfortable to work out effectively. Adding layers works for some, but others might prefer to go without the added bulk of 2 layers of clothing.

In public, I think it's everyone responsibility to dress appropriately for the occasion and the location. What is good at a backyard picnic or the beach is probably not the same as for a church service or an awards dinner.

I totally believe the gym should be a judgement free zone - but it isn't always like that.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

i usually wear long yoga pants from the gap-they are extremely tight, but thin, cottony and comfy. Either way, be proud of your choice to BE at the gym i loved your vent, and i hope you don't let this get to you any longer. There are lot of "thin" people with health problems-exercising is probably the best thing you can do for your health no matter who you are! i think you're doing great! -fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote