Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/191

Height: 5'6"

Default Oh my goodness!

Now that I've been making a concerted effort to eat better and exercise, I'm way more aware of how terrible the things I used to eat are! I've been looking at the nutritional info pages for some restaurants I used to enjoy. I just came across the info for Famous Dave's, one of my favorite places to eat. Their bread pudding has 1646 calories and 99 g fats. GROSS. And even GROSSER to think this was my go-to dessert for days when I was either celebrating or drowning my sorrows.

What about you? Have you unmasked any of your former favorites as villains?!?
1049jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #2  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

my typical meal at denny's added up to a total of 1900+ calories.

smothered cheese fries - split with hubby
club sandwich + onion rings
caramel apple crisp - split with hubby

yeesh.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I used to love going out to eat. Now I would rather eat at home because I can have something tastier than a plain house salad with a plain chicken breast without worrying about the nutrition info. It is so weird to me now, after 4 mos of diligent calorie counting, that I used to ignore it altogether.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

I just read that Famous Dave's has a new 600 calorie and under menu - I looked and here is the link...http://www.famousdaves.com/menuCategories/citrus-grill/
I know it's not exactly the same, but it sounds pretty good. I find that minor changes in my ordering are making a big calorie difference - I order sushi rolls without rice, salads without dressing, eat fajitas without the tortilla, eat the insides of sandwiches, order shellfish whenever I can, and drink a glass of wine or flavored vodka instead of more caloric drinks. I try to forego the things I don't care about, while making sure the things I love and can't do without so easily remain in my plan (dark chocolate, light potato chips instead of regular, sauces on things so that they are not dry broiled, etc...)
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #5  
Pretty much a total champ

S/C/G: somewhere near 215/175/145

Height: 5'5"

I've only started paying attention to calories since May, and I'm finding that pretty much everything I used to each in restaurants is waaaaay too many calories. Like, a horrifying amount of calories. It's been a real eye-opener to start paying more attention to this sort of thing, and now I'm like, "Ah, so THAT'S how I got fat in the first place!" lol Ah well, I'm glad I know these things now...better late than never!
nomadiclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/242/192

It's quite an eye opening thing isn't it?

Almost every morning I would stop and get two hashbrowns from McD's, I mean after all they were 2 for a $1 and about 50% of the time I would order a sausage and egg McMuffin with it, 300 cal in hashbrowns alone and 410 in the mcmuffin. WOW - almost every day!

nomadiclee: and that's how I got fat! lol esp. when followed by burger and fries for lunch.
Donna Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/274.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Even things I used to eat at restaurants that I thought were healthy are bad!

Every Monday, my bf and I go to Moe's because you can get a Joey with chips and a drink for $5.55 (used to be $5...hello economy!). Well that meal comes out to 1139 calories, 38g of fat, etc. That's grilled chicken, black beans, rice, and cheese on a whole grain tortilla plus the chips (no queso or anything). Sounds healthy on paper but not at all!!!

So now I get a Joey, Jr. and only eat about 10 of the chips - 440 calories and 14g of fat. What a difference! I think that is the biggest problem with restaurant food - the portion.

My mom had gastric bypass, so she couldn't possibly eat even a "normal" portion, much less a restaurant size portion, so she would either order an appetizer or a lunch size portion. If she had to order a restaurant portion, she would just order a take out box along with it. I think that's what I might start doing - order the healthy sounding food and order a to-go box too, so when my food comes, I can just go ahead and put half of it in the box because that would probably take a restaurant portion down to a normal portion.
myfishpajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #8  

k0nfyo0zed-- That's a lot of calories for one meal! I'm kind of disgusted at how I used to eat like that several times a week and think nothing of it!

juliana77-- I like eating at home now because I have control. We do still eat out some, and I try to be smarter about my ordering, but eating at home is best.

freefall--Dave's under 600 calorie menu looks alright I guess, but I love their brisket so much I don't know that I could go there and NOT have it! I've pretty much been avoiding it like the plague these last six weeks. I also try to be smarter about my ordering when we go out now-- steamed broccoli instead of fries, grilled chicken instead of fried, etc. Small changes. I enjoy going out so much that I don't want to give that up!

nomadiclee-- Exactly! I see now why I got fat. DUH @ it taking this long to figure out!

Donna Donut-- It's VERY eye opening! Like super eye opening!

myfishpajamas-- I like the idea of putting half into a box before even starting. Restaurant portions sizes are often HUGE, and I have a hard time stopping if I see a big plate of food in front of me. Great idea!

I've started checking nutrition info for restaurants before we go there. That way I have an even better idea of what low calorie options are available to me. I'm also exercising willpower and skipping t 1,000 calorie desserts!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

OMG I know! My saturday & sunday lunches practically every single week for years was a double-cheeseburger & fries off the value menu at McDonalds, followed by a large Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard at Dairy Queen -- pretty much 1600 calories for LUNCH. Then afternoon snacks, giant dinner, snacks all night.

But I'm still mystified about how I got fat
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

One of my favorite things was a breakfast bagel at a local convenience store. A full sized bagel, sausage patty, a scrambled egg with spicy peppers, and a slice of cheese. I put it at about 1200 calories. I used to get one at least once a week on the way to work. Many times twice a week. Nothing like blowing 90% of the day's calories before 8:00! Not to mention the fact that if I stopped at the convenience store, I almost always got a candy bar or bag of chips, too - "for later." Sheesh!

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 07-12-2011 at 11:08 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #11  

Since they started posting this info in all CA restaurants I have been horrified. Some of the "healthy" salads I always felt so good about eating turned out to have around 1,200 or more calories!
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

Dont even look at Cheesecake Factory's nutrional info!! They have it on their menu now and there is barely anything under 1000 calories!!
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I used to get a Hardee's chicken biscuit and hash browns most mornings for breakfast. When I first started calorie counting, I looked them up. I start my day with 1800 calories, more than a day's worth of calories. I eat 1200 - 1300 calories a day now!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #14  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Double cheeseburger at Burger King on the way home from work (and the first thing I would eat in the day):
450 calories 12g sat. fat 95mg cholesterol 6g sugar 29g carbs
26g fat 1g trans fat 27g protein 960mg sodium

Umm... Yuck?
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #15  

Have you guys read The End of Overeating by David Kessler?
It's a really interesting book, and he addresses some of the issues with restaurants and the awful foods they serve.