Working for Onederland - 299's to 200's

You're on Page 5 of 35
Go to
  • Mrs. T, that is a beautiful NSV! I loved reading that!

Today I bought an electric rotisserie. I'm roasting veggie and chicken kabobs right now! I love my kitchen toys.

The stress is starting to subside a little. I'm getting on top of it and don't feel so much panic about losing control of my life in general. I was really overeating for the last three days. Surprisingly, I haven't gained any weight from it. I'm REALLY surprised by that.

Earlier in the week I was on a different forum that I frequent. They're all body building chicks. At first I was getting a lot of good support from them, but for the last three days they've all been on track of discussion about how fat people are so stupid, ignorant, just a lot of disparaging commentary in general about that. I was feeling really disheartened by it all. I spoke up too, letting them know how their generalizations included characteristics that didn't apply to me, or a lot of fat people, and I often found that having a lower body fat didn't prevent stupidity from occuring. No one is backing down from their positions. They continued with their discussion. Not a single one even aknowledged my contributions to the discussion. They wanted to be mad at fat people for the world being an unfair place to live.

Ignorance doesn't discriminate according to body fat percentages. Oooof!

I'm going to spend the rest of the day away from my house. My mother can't find me when I do that!
  • Hi, everyone. I usually check whatever thread is at the top of the list here in the 100 pound club, so I'm popping in to say hello.

I read some comments about over 50 post menopause weight loss. I'm 60 and way past menopause. It has been 800% easier to lose weight this time than it was in my 30's (last time I even tried.) I think we have the ability to do this no matter our age and circumstance. Just remember:

*not one Day at a time - one CHOICE at a time
    *older chicks are tough and determined
    *we know what we should do - we just have to do it
    *we all support each other - that's what women are best at

Great job, everyone. We'll all get to our goals eventually. This journey is just making us stronger women. We can do this if we just stop for a second and realize we have hundreds of friends pulling us along, pound by pound.

Lin
  • MrsTee- We seem to be losing at about the same speed as well. Christmas it is. I hope to be under 200 by May 30th of 2012. It will be my husband and my unofficial 10th anniversary. Together 10 years but only married 4. Clothing of any kind is always a fabulous NSV! Congrats.

Georgia- Glad that things seem to be getting back on track for you. We all get stalled by life. Heck I had almost a whole week of food mayhem last week. Just get back on the horse and remember that we are all in this together.
    I too am a lover of kitchen gadgets and LOVE my rotisseri! Glad you got one enjoy.

Lovely- I know you are gonna break the barrier on your weigh in so I am just gonna say welcome now....

Today was uneventful here. Was off from work and accomplished nothing... Well except my workout and day 6 POP.

I am convinced that the scale monster is messing with me. He threw up 282.5 this morning. I have to admit I keep thinking that I am gonna wake up tomorrow and he is going to say "NOPE JUST KIDDING"

Hope everyone had a great day.
  • Morning all

May is about my goal too OMWD. I'd certainly like to give myself the nice birthday present of being close my first goal of 90 kilos on April 23rd.
    WOW 282.5 - that's impressive - you've jumped to a 5lb lead!!!!! I better get my skates on!

Big Rant coming HERE...

Georgia - I find in my day to day life laughing at fat people is the only "allowable" discrimination left?
    You cannot call people of any color or physical affliction dumb, lazy, stupid, boring, but you can generalise and call ALL fat people that. No Problems!
    On the radio the other day well known morning show hosts where laughing about how awful is it to sit next to the "fatty Mccratty" ( they actually SAID that) on the plane - one guy ( ex football star) said " I always get the 300 pound sweaty smelly bloke who oozes out of his seat int o yours, who wants to talk footy to you - as if he'd know....
    General laughter from the gang.

I thought wow - change that to "black person" or " person with cerebral palsy and he'd be arrested...yet its absolutely fine to say that about fat people.
    Partially it is true - the too big for the seat bit - and even the sweaty bit - but that FAT bloke might also be a Rhodes Scholar, a great humanitian, a research scientist - just the nicest smartest most interesting person in the world but his FAT defines him a lazy stupid and lower class.

I am FAT but I am really bright, really well read, really funny, really socially aware, a really witty and gregarious person. And on my day - really good company!

Most studies would seem to say that about 6 months is the average people stay on a diet plan.
  • Sorry bit of a random comment at the end there - was a different train of thought I didn't finish -

Do most people find 6 months is a bit of a water shed time - really hard to stay motivated after 6 months????
  • Georgia - Masssive Hugs

OMWD - Jealous! No really you are doing so great its wonderful

Mrs Tee - I think so... for lots of people, for me its 3 to 6 months. I usually can rock rock rock like a rockstar working out and eating healthy for a bout that long before "something" happens.
  • Lin, thank you for stopping by our little hen house, and for your valuable encouragement, and the post-menopausal anecdote about weight loss. Yeah! Something to look forward to! I hope I find the same success. I'm growing into that tough and determined older chick.

It's that determination that keeps me moving forward. That and experience. Not moving forward, sticking to the status quo, or even backsliding are completely unacceptible to me. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I was even thinking about giving up. Mrs. T, I read about that six month thing. I think that for me, I just have to mix things up every few months just to keep emotionally connected to the effort. We're in for a really long haul. Of course we're going to lose steam at some point. We may even lose a little ground. It's so dang disappointing when that happens.

I tend to tweak my food plan every second or third month, and I tweak the fitness plan about as often. I'm still doing Pilates, well over a year now, but I've taken breaks in between. I think about every four months I take a complete break from everything for a couple weeks. But it's not in the plan. It just sort of happens. I have such a short attention span! But limiting calories and carbs is always part of the plan.

I have tried to limit fats, but that's so hard for me! For the weekend I plan to eat a lot of fruit and veg, keep the protein limited to egg whites and almonds, and I was hoping to cut fats drastically. My liver, I think it needs a good clearing out. I feel really backed up and my tummy is not happy.

Thanks so much for the supportive hugs, silent, and for sharing the good, healthy rant, Mrs. T. I try to be tolerant of others, but I really can't stand people who mask their bigotry with "facts", "science", or "God". If only we could keep bigoted people from breeding!
  • I'd like to comment on the 6 month thing - the timing is PERFECT. I joined my gym and started this process on January 13th - 6 months and 2 days ago. I can't believe how far I've come in this time. Not just losing over 70 pounds, but in my attitude and everything. I find that I'm MORE likely to stay OP now that I've had 6 months to see really positive results.

We all need to turn every situation into a positive! Six months is a long time. When I started this journey, my plan was to lose 100 pounds in 11 months. I wanted to be at my goal before Christmas. The time seemed SO long. Staying on a diet for 11 months seemed impossible. Then something started to change in my thinking.

* What's past is past - you can't count it any more. It's over. That means the mistakes and sacrifices are gone, too. Along with the accomplishments. Be proud of your accomplishments, but don't let what you did in the past be permission to slack off today.
    * Today is a new, clean slate with new choices to make. Make them one at a time and correct the bad ones as quickly as possible.
    * Cliche, I know, but TODAY is the first day of the rest of your life. Make it the best day so far.
    * When taking things one day at a time seems difficult, take things one choice at a time. It's very easy to sty OP for ONE meal - even if there are a billion tempting things on the table. It's pretty easy if you tell yourself you can do whatever you want the NEXT time. Next time, make the choice again.

Let's not let any timetable be a road block to our good choices. We aren't in this for 6 months or 15 months or 40 months. We're in this FOREVER.

Let's all pull together and DO THIS!

Lin
  • Heya lads and ladies!

Just popping in to give a couple cheers

I'm excited to stay on plan and stay active over the weekend, and of course, visions of weight loss dancing around in my head for Monday's official weigh-in.

ALSO, Monday marks my 3rd month "Anniversary" of healthy changes. So it's a celebration time regardless of what the scale says, because I'm still very much so here and eating better and exercising daily! Me... of all people... I cannot believe I eat better and exercise daily... What is the world coming to?
  • I guess it is time to come out of hiding again.

Hello everyone. I'm Billie, but you can call me Zinke. I've been a member here forever but usually I hung out in the Biggest Loser forum or with the vegetarians. I left about 2 years ago when a whole bunch of us moved our support over to Plurk. That group has since broken up and I need some new pals.

I just turned 36. I was diagnosed with PCOS in '03 when we were trying to get pregnant. I managed to lose a few pounds and get pregnant. Now I'm the proud momma to nearly 7yo twins. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism after they were born. I've been playing yo-yo ever since. I've been overweight since I hit puberty and morbidly obese since adulthood. My highest weight has been 296'ish I'm getting scared about my health and have decided I have to do something about it since wishing on stars doesn't seem to be working for me to well. I'm was at 289.6 as of this morning.

I'm not currently trying to follow any plan in particular. I've just decided to eat like a normal weight person should. Meaning one regular size serving of things and only one trip through the buffet when I went to chinese today as a belated birthday lunch from my aunt. I'm trying to sneak veggies into everything I can and I try not to eat to much red meat. (We have a family history of hemochromatosis.) I'm also trying to remember to take all my vitamins daily which is really hard for me for some reason. Right now I'm not doing any real exercise other than climbing up/down the basement stairs a bazillion times a day and trying to get some yard work done on the house we rent.

I guess that is enough of a novel for today.
  • MrsTee- I have to admit I am usually only good for about 3 months but I feel different about this time for some reason. I do agree that people do tend to go at it for a while and than either lose momentum or get to a weight they haven't seen in a while and than ease up to much till they are back where they started. ( Most of the previous describes me )

Georgia- I have learned to cut the majority of fats from my diet. Well actually the bad fats. I still use olive oil, avocados, nuts, and like items but almost never use butter or eat meat that isn't lean. It's hard at first but it seems to be working.

Lovely- Congrats on be ready for a POP weekend. I find those to be the hardest but can usually will myself through them and remember we are here.

Zink- glad that you have decided to join us. We are a pretty good little support group. Remember all changes towards a healthier lifestyle are good. Take it day by day and we will make it there together.

Silent: We are still keeping a spot for you.

Today was insane on my end. I can't say that I am not losing a little gusto now that I have made it to day 7 POP. Oh well still trooped through it.

Made it to 40lbs lost this morning 282!

Well to be honest I think TOM is lurking because I am just irritated by everything tonight so I am gonna do both my husband and I a favor and kiss him goodnight and go to bed before I say something mean. See you guys tomorrow.
  • Saturday afternoon here, and I'm having a lovely toasted sandwich, the first I've had in ages and it's lovely! Nice grainy bread with some cheese and tomato with a little onion! Cold afternoon, the footy is on the telly, heater's on and I have a nice blanket and a cup of tea...not a bad way to spend Saturday.
    I'll be making up for a luxurious day ( had a bagel - I know VERY high GI -and smoked salmon for brekkie too) with a poached fish dinner, but I have been feeling so hungry lately, think I needed a few more cals this weekend.

OMWD - you are blasting through the 280s - we'll have to kick you out of here soon too! Or include the 270s ...

Everyone else - yes, let's keep POP -ing!!! Welcome Zinke - lots of suport and good thoughts here!

In another 6 months - well that takes us up to Christmas - I'd love to think I'll still be OP then - that would represent a real lifestyle change for me, I rarely make it past 6 months - I don't know why but complacency and boredom seem to set in, and one day Off plan turns into a week, which seems to just lead to a wandering off into bad habits. I'm not scared of being slim, I just seem to lapse back bit by bit?? I am not good at just having a day off?
  • I am terrified of being thinner.

I'm pretty sure the attention I got going through puberty had something to do with my early weight gains. As a child, my father played softball. I followed the team wherever they went so that I could spend time with my dad. That involved many, many hours hanging with lots of drunken men at various bar ball fields. There were a few of the guys that were protective but many more that were not. In the last few years I have severed my ties with my father. Now I need to remember that as an adult I have the choice to walk away from situations that are making me uncomfortable.

It is supposed to be upper 80's here today and my mother-in-law is coming to visit. She kind of drives me nuts so I'm going to have to find a project to immerse myself in. I am in a good mood though as I was down another few ounces this morning.
  • OMWD I think you will be out of here by the time I make it here! And that's so great for you. DO visit and support us but keep on chugging you are a continuing ROCKSTAR.

MrsTee - I know how that goes, I've lost 40lbs and now i'm "Comfy" and can't force anything , I think contrary to other peoples experiences summer is NOT a good time for me to lose weight. I like my workout classes, and I like my gym, I am not one for sunburns or mosquitos and so the "nature" factor doesn't help me drop lbs. I hopefully just maintain while I don't have my preferred resources and can "kick it back up" in the fall.

zinke - I am glad you are realizing it I don't know why I've never had a problem shunning unwanted attention I am really good at saying No. It's a good skill to have.

Georgia - My former twinny, now my thinner me goal! I miss you but glad you are doing so well.

Lin thanks for all the encouragement.

I hope I will be here soon, beginning of august maybe? I can hope... need to figure this stuff out!
  • Morning all.

Sunday morning - nice relaxing weekend - staying POP but enjoting time to cook some more interesting things.

Silent looking forward to you joining us!

Zinke - being slim is a health choice as you get older - and a couple of trips to the hospital with heart issues certainly changes the way one thinks about "slimness".
    Its not even about thin for me now, just not the weight stress on my heart and body. Loose the weight as young as your can is my advice!!!!!

I hope NEVER to go back to hospital and have a horrid nurse talk about my weight like I'm some sort of idiot.