Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #211  

Welcome one and all!!!!

The beauty of our thread is we've changed the title to emcompass a lot of movement on the old scale!

So you can join any-weight any-time, and we can all hang around and get to know everyone whilst we chug relentlessly towards onederland!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

We are between two houses right now but I intentionally left the scale here where we live most of the time and spend the nights...until today when hubby decided to pack it up in a box and take it to the new house. i wanted to weigh in this morning but can't

Edit: it's almost 5 AM so i guess he moved it yesterday technically.

Last edited by Purplefirefly; 08-08-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #213  
Optimistic.

S/C/G: Inches: 47"/44.25"/37"

Height: 5'4"

Day 3 of IF.

My weigh in this morning was 207.4. A bit depressing. That a lb up since yesterday. Was it the cake? Is it all the water? Is my body just not used to IF yet? Am I doing it wrong? ...questions that immediately went through my head.

Guess I'll just keep on truckin' and see what happens tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Shalyn, don't stress over one pound. Fluctuations will happen...you have the right attitude to just keep on trucking.

I am exhausted and worn out today, but determined to stick with this. Going to be a hard day for me, so I hope the rest of you have a wonderful day
Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #215  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

@Shalyn, I'm an IF'er too. Been doing it since March/April (can't really remember when exactly) and it helped me break a really long plateau. I have lost 20+ with IF and feel more free to go about my life eating this way. Give yourself some time with it. I used to eat breakfast because I am a type 2 diabetic (controlled with diet and exercise) and was eating early and often, like the five-times a day thing. That was making me crazy! But there were days when I got busy early in the day and "forgot" to eat (I know, crazy, right?) and noted that I seemed to be able to go without food till at least noon. Then I read about IF on the boards and started thinking and reading about this more and decided to give it a try.

Usually my eating window is between 1 and 9. Once I start eating, I have a hard time keeping the calories restricted, so I try to stop eating close to bed time. I have no issue with the fasting. I don't seem to feel hunger as a physical discomfort in my stomach. But my blood sugar does drop quite a bit and I'm pretty useless until I eat. My weight loss wasn't a steady downward decline, nor was it rapid. I'm 50, perimenopausal, currently have a lot of stress in my life, have PCOS and the type 2 diabetes...weight is not going to melt off me! But I really am happy when I lose a pound every week or two.

At the moment, I'm doing IF Ramadan-style. I'm not Muslim, but I've lived in three different Muslim countries and I started feeling a little homesick for my old life. When Ramadan came up again this year, I decided to do the fast too, but modified for me. I wrote all about it in my blog (see link below) and am on day 2 (I started a week late!). So far, I'm okay with the fasting during the day time, but I was not able to keep calories as low as I wanted last night. I'm going to have to adjust the "breakfast" hours. I guess I forgot to factor in that I'm not a morning person and I didn't like getting up so early to make and eat oatmeal. Anyway, I'll blog more about this later.

For the next month, I put my scale away. I'm trying to cut my emotional ties to that things. I do like to see my progress daily, but I was letting that thing tell me how to feel every day! @Purplefly, being without the scale is an adjustment! But there are other ways to track progress. Clothes getting looser seems to be the most rewarding for me. It's what I'm hoping will happen for me this month, that I drop down to a size 22/20 so I can start buying t-shirts from Eddie Bauer for women with longer torsos. All my size 24 t-shirts that I bought recently are already too short after just a few washings. It would happen when I was size 28+, but those tops were a bit longer to begin with and it didn't matter so much. But with the drop to a 24, shrinkage is now an issue.

@Mrs. T, I'm up for that Christmas challenge! I'm a recent user of challenges as motivation and I'm surprised how well they work for me...as long as they're not too long. So maybe we can break it down to weekly challenges that build towards Christmas, like earning rewards towards something special from "Santa". I'm doing my personal Ramadan fast challenge for the next month, but am willing to add a challenge to that to extend it till Christmas. What should our challenge be?

I'm off to take my mother to the bank, but first I have to get my lazy son out of bed and into cleaning the garage and doing his laundry this morning. The boys helped me clean house yesterday and I'm in such a good mood to wake up to it still being clean! There's only the garage and my room left to clean. I guess I'm responsible for my room. It seemed to become the depository of I-don't-know-where-this-goes-Mom yesterday. But that's okay. The rest of the house is clean and dust-free!

Have a lovely day, everyone!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #216  
Optimistic.

Purplefirefly - I tried not to let it get me down too much. I did stay on track with eating so far today. Thanks for the encouragement! Good luck to you!

Geo - Glad to hear you had success with IF! I'm finding it to be pretty easy so far. It sounds like you have some obstacles but are finding a way around them! I also have PCOS. I was diagnosed years ago but my doctor failed to mention that it came with insulin resistance most of the time. I called them about it today and they said my options were Glucophage and birth control pills, neither of which I really want to take. So I'd like to control it with diet and exercise. I have a question...if you have PCOS related insulin resistance, does your blood sugar show up high on a meter? Mine is always a really good # which makes me think I don't have insulin resistance.

Last edited by shalyn; 08-08-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #217  
Made of Starstuff

Goooood Evening everyone!

I'm just popping in for a moment to celebrate. I had been up a smidge last week on the scale, but ended up "making up" for it this week by dropping about 5 POUNDS! And...
I made my 10%!

So. I'm down a total of about 33 pounds. Another goal in the basket. My next goal is just about five more pounds away, when I'll be 289.9 (or just under 290).

I felt a little slumpy when I gained last week, but there were TOM issues to consider, and I'd just started adding in more exercise and more vegetables.

Goes to show me that one week is just one week, but that months of being on plan can really make things happen. (Sometimes a reminder of this is good ) I feel a little more solidly into to the 290's, but I have a feeling I won't mentally be out of the 300's until I see 280-something on the scale. Mental lag...

Just about dinner time here, best be off to cook!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #218  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Congrats Lovely! That is so awesome.

I'm really struggling with food again today. I'll log it all but it isn't pretty. The good news is my back is just about back to normal so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #219  

Morning all

I too am feeling a bit de-motivated. Not sure why? I tell myself all the right things, I know why I NEED to stay on plan - and have not really strayed too far off plan - (WI day Thursday will probably see me put on half a kilo or a pound) not terrible, but I still feel the motivation I had 2 weeks ago just slipping slightly.....

Why does this happen?

I am into the 15th week, so am I bored? Am I feeling deprived? I don't know the answers to those questions - but I'll think about it!

What about you? What de-motivates you - and how do you get around that?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #220  
thinks she can

S/C/G: 321/266.1/170

Height: 5'9"

Lovely - Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!!!!

MrsTee - I think there's something to be said for boredom and/or deprivation. I'm not on my 15th week yet so I have absolutely no idea what that's like, but I do know that I tend to start losing commitment to projects when the challenge starts wearing off.

What I'm finding as I begin week 5 is that I'm starting to simply live. My first four weeks counting calories was accompanied by all sorts of reading and learning/talking about weight loss. It's like my diet was a shiny new toy that I wanted to play with.

Now that the excitement of dieting (perverse as that sounds) is wearing off, I feel like I'm moving back towards simply living my life again. I count calories. I weigh and measure my foods. I work. Nothing too new and exciting.

That's good in a lot of ways, but it also means that I'm learning about what to occupy myself with when food/dieting isn't the center of my mental world. I'm trying to look at these empty spaces in my mind as I would a clean, new house that I can fill with lovely things.

So I kind of get the stagnation. I've got some distance from it, though, because I only weigh myself once a month. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should make that more frequent.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #221  
Optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
It's like my diet was a shiny new toy that I wanted to play with.

That's good in a lot of ways, but it also means that I'm learning about what to occupy myself with when food/dieting isn't the center of my mental world. I'm trying to look at these empty spaces in my mind as I would a clean, new house that I can fill with lovely things.
Same here! Great way to look at it.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #222  
Walking the Journey

S/C/G: 307/ticker/175

Height: 5'7

I keep changing my fitness. I know that sounds weird, but the food aspect of it is confusing to me. I eat below my caloric goal, I try and get more plant type foods in everyday (WHY WHY WHY am I such a DAIRY hound?! If you don't want to eat that apple, you aren't Hungry!) So what I CAN do is change up the fitness. I seem to be one of those people who dig the work out (I've kind of always been baffled that I got to 307 lbs because I LOVE to move my body).

Recently I downloaded to C25k App for my Ipod. This very lovely British woman encourages me with timed vocals and micromanagement, which somehow I respond to. I guess I like structure, deep deep down. Now, I'm nowhere near running. So when she commands RUN! I start to walk as Speed walky as I can speed walk and when she says Walk, I back off. It's my own version of kicking up the intensity of what was becoming a perfectly boring walking routine. Plus, it made me finally make that playlist to import over. I fancy myself doing the C25K with running, but not until my muscles and body can support it. Until then, I plan on spending 2 weeks on each 1 of the plan until I'm speed walking the whole time. Or until I'm so bored, I've moved on.

I also rotate out Dance, Pilates, NIA (my favorite) and weights as supplemental work outs. It seems to keep my attention and my motivation.

The again, this is week 4 for me. HA! I can not imagine week 15- your attention span and your willpower seem quite strong to me! Keep it going! I'm sure, just like with everything else (marriage, money, good hair days) it ebbs and flows. Maybe you just need some sort of WOO HOO reward day to celebrate your current amazing self.

-Kiki
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #223  
Walking the Journey

S/C/G: 307/ticker/175

Height: 5'7

Oh. And I change my hair color. A lot.

-Kiki
Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #224  
Happy as a clam..........

S/C/G: 268/178/165

Height: 5'8"

I usually don't post here ( or too much anywhere ) but today is the day I have been working towards. I weighed in at 199 today! What a feeling of accomplishment. I don't want to get too excited yet but this has been a long time coming and I am VERY happy!!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 290/290/155

Height: 5' 7"

Hi, everyone! I hope am in the right thread. I just joined this forum today. I need to lose about 130 pounds. 7 years agao I started this weight loss journey and lost 90 lbs. Then I went through a divorce and a lot of the weight piled back on. I got remarried and the rest of it piled back on. I think I got complacent.

My daughter is becoming very conscious of weight and bodies and is hesitant to even wear a bathing suit even though she is tall (5 ft. 1) at 10 years old. She is in the higher percentage weight wise, but still the doctor says she is fine and maybe is slightly (5-7 lbs) higher than she should be. This was told to me in confidence by the doctor.

Anyway, I figure that I need to emphasize more healthy eating instead of the number on the scale (for her). If I don't eat healthy than I can't ask her to.

So part of my motivation is to be a role model for her and also to be healthier so that I can enjoy life more. I am tired of not wanting to go places because of my weight or feeling stress about the idea of maybe going to visit my in-laws in India next year because I keep thinking, "What if I don't fit in the airplane seat?"

I just read a book called Finally Thin and it had a lot of interesting points in it. I am trying to apply those to myself.

Anyway, glad to be here!
Closed Thread