Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Default Some Realistic Thoughts Please!!!

Ok so I have been doing really really well on my diet. Well at least eating and exercise wise. The scale however is not playing nice due to TOM and for some reason I have been fighting this plateau for a couple weeks.
Anyways, my Mother In Law is here for the weekend and I somehow stayed on plan Saturday and Sunday watching everyone else eat and drink whatever they wanted. I usually cheat a little bit on Sunday but yesterday I decided to stick with it and stuck to my plan. Today however I feel kinda crappy due to TOM and everyone wants to get Pizza and see a movie.
SO do I stop beating myself up and go and just maintain a reasonable portion or do I not go and stay on plan?
Here's the kicker my Husband will not go if I don't because he wants to be supportive. So I must admit I feel kinda guilty.....Plus lets be honest I so want to go.
IF it matters I did my workout anyways so no matter what I decide thats done

Last edited by OnMyWayDown; 06-20-2011 at 05:36 PM.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Even going to a pizza place (if that's where they're headed for dinner) there are usually -healthier- if not the "best" options. Salads that you can ask for dressing on the side, or grilled chicken instead of fried foods. I'm not really sure what your plan involves, but if you want pizza and have a slice while still having the majority of your meal be a salad then that seems both reasonable and on plan. (Unless it's not on plan for you, but again, I don't know what your plan involves)

Or if you're really, truly concerned about sticking to plan while they eat pizza, then grab something healthy at home and meet up with them at the movie theater for the show! You can easily say "No, Thanks!" to the popcorn and crappy junk food they sell there, since you'll be full from dinner.

If you want to go... this is real life... you should go. Plan wisely for the dinner, and have fun at the movie watching the movie - not eating snacks in the dark!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I won't go if you don't go...that puts guilt on to you... might not know that's what he's doing, but it is. My husband used to say this and I finally had to tell him not to worry about what I am or am not eating. Are you at the point where you can go to a pizza place and eat just one small piece and not feel miserable? Like a small piece of hand tossed veggie pizza. Or eat a salad and bring your own salad dressing? Or let them go to the pizza place and meet them at the movies?
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I agree that most pizza places will have a salad or *something* that you can eat and still stay on plan - assuming your willpower is strong enough for that. If you feel it will be too tempting, explain to your hub that while you appreciate the thought, the most supportive thing he can do is go out to dinner with him mom and you will meet them at the movies after having a good on-plan meal at home (and maybe tuck an on-plan snack you can enjoy into your bag for the movie?)

As tempting as the pizza may sound, think about this - if you are in TOM and still holding at the same weight, chances are you will break that plateau when TOM ends and your body gets rid of some of that excess water. Doesn't that sound better than a slice of pizza??
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'll chime in about the 'lifestyle' stuff again LOL it's life, people want to socialize and food is part of it. You can't stay home forever. Or worse, stay home for 6 months with your head in the sand and lose weight, yes, but then go on a feeding frenzy once you're 'done'. I say GO and have fun, GO and get the healthiest option you can. If your hubby can guilt YOU maybe you can guilt HIM right back lol -- "gee, I'd go if we could eat something BESIDES pizza...there's that little place close to the theatre..." heh. But even with pizza, ONE slice with a diet soda is still fun and exciting and won't sink you for the week. You gotta enjoy life and not be made to feel on the outskirts, or that you're being punished. Like so many have said, there's bound to be a healthier option, even a slice loaded up with veg is better than sausage!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I'd say if you are craving pizza, you've ate on plan all week...then GO HAVE PIZZA..not DIET pizza...but the reall oowee goowee kind! When you try substituting it just makes you want the real stuff more, then you end of eating stuff you don't really like...all to finally over endulge in the real stuff anyways.

BTW, I lost 60 pounds having PIZZA NIGHT just about every week! I ate anything I wanted for one meal once per week. Deprivation leads to the dreaded ALL or NOTHING attitude which kills/sabotogues healthy lifestyle.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'm probably too late here, but I think going is important. I also realize how important it is not to feel pressured, so opt to eat at home if you want to and meet them at the movie. If that isn't an option because of only 1 car or the distance and the price of gas, eat a salad at home and have one slice with everyone. Have fun. What good is it to get healthy and be left out?

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

So it turns out that I am AWESOME!!!!!! I decided what the heck If I can watch everyone eat and drink all weekend and not succumb to it than I can have a slice of pizza and be fine with it.
AND............................
Low and behold I can!!!!!!!!!!!
The table ordered wings and a supreme pizza. I asked the waiter to have the meat left off of 1/4 of the pizza and for a side salad with oil and vinegar.
My husband asked for light cheese and light sauce and off we went.
I had one lite beer and a ton of water. The waiter actually got so sick of filling my glass he brought me a pitcher.
I ate 1 slice of pizza and my side salad and was completely happy.
The movie was fun and I packed some mixed nuts in a little baggy like I always do and munched on those and some more water.

Woke up this morning and I guess TOM ran away because the scale says I have finally lost something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your input.

I have to say I was kind of surprised that everyone thought that I should go but in the end I must say it kinda made me feel powerful to be able to do it.

Last edited by OnMyWayDown; 06-21-2011 at 08:30 AM.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Good for you!!! You did awesome! Pizza is one of my major weaknesses, one slice leads to another and another...and you get the picture. You are a strong woman!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Rockstar!!!

So far I have not skipped one event to stay on plan. I just figure it out. I refuse to sit life out. I will admit that most of the time I bring my own food and the time that we went to a pizza place for a family birthday I skipped it and ate after. So you are awesome for making 1 piece work!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #11  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

great job, onmywaydown!!!

And a great learning experience about being able to successfully manage a situation so you can socialize but still stay on plan.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

So happy to hear it worked out for you! Awesome job!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Life is going to keep coming at you no matter what. Each little victory is what makes us stronger and able to make the correct choices next time. We can't sit out and let everyone have the fun without us. Keep up the good work! You really are awesome.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #14  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

Woo! I didn't post because I figured I missed you but I was going to vote to go too! Too much of putting life on hold and it starts to feel like a temporary punishment you can't wait to be done with, not an attainable life change.

I'm so glad you went and everything turned out so well! And that the scale moved! WOOHOO!
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #15  

Totally brilliant outcome. I did the same this weekend, pizza or pasta provided at a netball tournament no choices, so I chose pasta not pizza, and ate a very small proportion of the container, then slipped it in my bag, bought it home for my son!
I also noticed lots of the athletes eat only what they feel like - leave the rest - don't care at all about all the food lying about. I on the hand, left the room and went back out to watch the game, not staying about with all that temptation....

BUT agree so much with all the comments, we can't just avoid life - need to modify it!!
MrsTee is offline   Reply With Quote