Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/234/138

Height: 5'5.5

Default Anxious about NOT being hungry

I started this leg of my journey with the support of a dietician and since then I've lost an average of 2.5 pounds (the rate was much faster in the beggining obvi).

I have BED and while I've been on track enough of the time to show a healthy rate of loss I'm still bingeing (just plain over eating too, but the bingeing seems to be slowing my loss the most so my dieticien suggested that I try intuitive eating for a week. The whole thing is fraught with anxiety for me but the thing that makes me the most uncomfortable is how low my appetite is.

I definitly want to eat but I don't feel hungry and its making me anxious. I'm definitly less anxious than when I'm obsessing how many calories I have eaten but I am so anxious about this. One would think that I would be happy about this but it scares the heck out of me!

It makes me worry that my hunger meter is broken. I'm so used to being hungry pretty often. On the other hand I've noticed my appetite changing after getting treated for CPAP and I'm remembering that I was actually pretty thin as a child until I started being left alone all of the time and I started to eat out of boredom. Maybe I'm just getting back to what is inherently normal for me when I'm not sleep deprived?

The other anxiety under all of this is what on earth am I going to do if I don't eat all of the time?

I just wanted to post this. I don't have a specific question though. Maybe one question I do have is has anyonr discovered that their appetite changed as they got started on their journeys?
gmailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Maybe intuitive eating is just the key for you. If so, embrace it! I have a friend who eats intuitively whatever she wants and she's thin. The second she goes on a diet (she still wants to be thinner), she obsesses over food and ends up eating a whole lot more. I hope you can embrace this lifestyle.....unless you're not eating hardly anything at all?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I'm on a low carb plan, and those have a well deserved reputation for appetite supression. I track my food in fitday out of habit and curiosity, since I'm not counting calories. I have a list of foods I am allowed to have, but no limits on how much of each (with a couple of exceptions). Since I started almost 3 weeks ago, I have been averaging aorund 1000 calories day but that's with eating as much as I want.

So depending on what you are eating, it's possible that you may truly just not be hungry. And while it's a change from what you are used to, you shouldn't try to ignore that sensation, any more than youl would want to ignore it if you were hungry (esp. when trying to do intuitive eating).

and fwiw, I also do have a tendency to eat out of tiredness, like my body just needs that extra energy to make up for the lack of sleep. So I definitely think that if you are consistently getting better sleep now, that is very likely a part of all of this - and it should also help you lose weight, not just from eating less, but because a lot of your metabolic activity needs sleep to happen most efficiently.

as for what to do with your extra time, become an exercise junkie instead!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #4  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I definitely found that before my journey - I had NO idea what it meant to be hungry. I just ate - cause I was bored or it was "time" to eat. Now my tummy starts growling and I KNOW, "Okay, I'm hungry." And then I eat 'til I'm not. Funny...
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote