Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #16  
~Kim~

I always love the paper towel theory. =)
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Me, too. Damn, don't you just love a vivid metaphor when someone's explaining something?

(Unfortunately, if we who lose weight gradually over time are paper towels, then I am Bounty, the Quicker Picker-Upper, because I am still able to retain so much fluid from the slightest lick of salt or impending hormonal uproar during my menstrual period.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

I think, as some have all ready stated, people are afraid to comment. It seems like there is a huge communication break down anymore, and people are afraid of getting snapped at for being, in their eyes polite or encouraging.

Personally, I would love it if someone I worked with or even someone at the gym noticed that I had lost weight and made a comment. But I can understand the uncertainty they may feel because I read horror stories all the time.

It's sad, but when I look in the mirror I still see my 340lb+ self staring back at me. I don't see the 265lb woman I've become.
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
if we who lose weight gradually over time are paper towels, then I am Bounty, the Quicker Picker-Upper, because I am still able to retain so much fluid from the slightest lick of salt or impending hormonal uproar during my menstrual period.)
This is hilarious!! And I totally agree.

It's a fine line I think telling someone that they look like they've lost weight, you never really know if someone is going to be sensitive about it. I always try to keep my compliments more general, as in "you're looking great, what's your secret?"

I think compliments about weight loss should be quick and general. Then if the person who is getting healthier decides to open up about it then you can take it from there.

I've seen people who honestly meant well, really make a person who is dieting feel self conscious by asking a million personal questions about their weight loss journey in front others.

Last edited by charliee; 06-03-2011 at 01:42 AM.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #20  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

i agree with the "degrees of fatness" comment LOL I sure noticed 40 pounds on myself, but to be fair I was STILL 280 right? so still enormous, and a lot of people put fat people in a 'fat category' and leave them there. Sucks. I'd prefer no comments than to the fake ones of "oh you've lost weight" after 5 pounds hahahah just because they know you're doing it ~ now THAT sucks!

I liked the "oh you look good...what's different" like they didn't quite know and didn't want to say in case they were wrong LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #21  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Yep, one of the things I had liked about being a big girl was that I could gain 20 lbs. and not even have to buy new clothes. It wasn't so fun on the way down...
ha! Yes, this, unfortunately. I know from past experience that it will take me a LONG time (in the 25-35 lbs range) to truly change clothing sizes. And as someone else mentioned, that is also when the loss becomes more apparent to others, or at least crosses over the line where they will start to comment.

It does sometimes feel frustrating that I have to put in so much time and effort and did I mention time before hitting that point. But the alternative of staying the same, or even worse, getting bigger, is no longer an option for me.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

Lots of good points here... You're right on with the percentage thing! As a tall girl who weighed a LOT more than I should have, it took more weight lost before it made a difference, like 40 pounds. Plus, I agree people are hesitant to say anything and the correct-size clothing issue makes a HUGE difference. And it's totally true that people who see you regularly are less likely to notice. I'm a high school teacher and I lost 70 pounds over the school year. Not a single one of my current students ever said anything, but when previous students came back to visit, I got TONS of comments. Keep up the good work -- you'll get there soon, and then pretty soon, you'll start to get sick of hearing about it!
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #23  

Hi all - interesting thread - and I soooooo agree with all the point's here, from my many many attempts at this caper, about 40 lb seems to be the marker for me that people notice. 20 or 25 lb I notice in my face and clothes but essentially I am wearing the same clothes - I know they are looser - but no one else does. I think I probably look much the same - FAT!!!

The compliments when they come are lovely, but also make me feel a little uncomfortable, not because it's a compliment for all my hard work, more that I was/am so large to begin with???
MrsTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

People only notice because I'm active, girls at my workout classes, or people who see me walking everywhere will say they've noticed big changes. i think its all mental. I think I am "acting thinner" interms of people see me out about and active. There is a TINY change if I look at pictures side by side, but really not that much of one and I think that they are "noticing" my activity level more than real weight loss... but thats just what I think .
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, for me, my mother noticed first once I was down about 25-30lbs. People started to comment at about 40lbs. However, I still have seen people who say NOTHING. At 75lbs. One friend I finally told that I had lost 70lbs. She said she didn't notice because she sees me once a week at least, so it was harder for her to see a dramatic change. Really? 70lbs down?
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #26  
Happy Member

I was in my mid 70s when I was finally able to lose weight. Evidently my friends noticed that I had lost weight, but were afraid to say anything. They assumed that I was sick and/or dying.

Eventually one of my friends mustered up enough courage to ask me about my weight-loss, and I assured her that I was deliberately losing the weight and was in tip-top shape.

That word spread, and after some time had passed my friends became comfortable with the "new me." Looking back, I think it was funny.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #27  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

Like most other have said I am sure more people have noticed, than have commented. For whatever reason they are not comfortable, and maybe they fear it will make you uncomfortable. I also have become more paranoid about addressing someones weight in a positive way. Simply put, there are a lot of posts about people being angry they get "too many" comments and then others being angry that they "are not getting noticed". Quite frankly its impossible to know what side someone is on. So I would say if you welcome the comments, then when someone does say something, don't down play your efforts accept the compliment so that it will be seen that you are okay with it. But any weight you lose is a success, and even if others don't notice, you know the truth and you can just keep on doing an awesome job. Hope it all works out.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote