Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anawhatsme View Post
what was the final straw to make you say enough is enough?
did you struggle to stay on plan at first?
did you start off with regular exercise right away?
how long did it take you to get in the weight loss/healthy lifestyle groove?
I remember like it was yesterday. When my final straw broke, it was REALLY broken. Without going into detail, I had a VERY bad OBGYN visit that left me feel worthless and disgusting. That very day I was on the internet looking up gastric bypass surgery. When I realized that surgery was NOT for me, I started looking up healthy alternatives and came up with my current plan (the link to my blog in the signature below has all the details if you are interested).

As I set out to change my life, I have not looked back and my determination has been very steadfast, because I still remember the emotional pain I felt. I made a decision, I stuck with it. I have not really struggled because I made up my mind to do something (stay on plan 1 year) and dang it, I was not going to let myself down. Its been 15 months, and I am still on plan.

I did not start with exercise. Moving hurt too much. For the first 4 months or so, I did nothing extra (I walked my dogs daily about 1 block, slowly, in the morning). I increased that walk to 20 minutes over the course of the next few months. About 9 months into my lifestyle change, I added an evening dogs walk every other day. Those started out at 20 minutes, and now are 40 minutes. In January (1 year into change) I started incorporating bursts of jogging into my walks. I started only being able to jog for 15 seconds. I am now jogging 6-8 minutes, then walking for 1 minute, for 40 minutes, every other day.

I have come to believe, based on my own life, that successful weight loss and healthy living happens 100% in your head. Sometimes I find myself on "auto-pilot" reaching for something unhealthy. I have had to train myself to THINK. Do I really want this chip? It is 16 calories for ONE chip - how will that effect my calorie count for the day? Is it worth the extra fat? Many times I say yes... and then that night I don't get a treat (my treat is frozen berries blended into ice cream consistency - delish). It took me a long time to get into THAT groove. I denied myself everything for the first year. Now I am learning moderation, and allowing myself little things (like a chip, or a bite of my husbands grilled cheese sandwich) but I force myself to use my head and not just the emotional eating that led me to weigh 332 pounds.

My advice is - don't be too hard on yourself as you start out. Set reasonable goals that you think you can manage.. and STICK WITH THEM. That part is the hardest part, but you can do it. My friend said to me back when I was starting "there is nothing to it, but to DO it". That has 100% been my motto. Maybe it can help you, too.

Geez, this ended up long. Sorry
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 272/215/135

Height: 5'5

I re started my journey in October 2011 (I had lost about 30 lbs before but I had gained it all back). The last straw for me was when I saw some pictures of myself from a co workers baby shower. I was so huge! Also I was nearing 300lbs and if I didn't do something then I was definitely going to be depressed. So I said to myself if I just dedicated 1 year of my life to diet and exercise I was going to see some amazing changes. For me staying on the diet is the hardest part, I always want something sweet or soda. So to avoid that temptation I try not to carry any cash on me and I always pack a lunch so that I won't eat out. Exercise has never been a problem though, once I get through the first 3 days then I always want to work out (I'm addicted to the sense of accomplishment that I feel afterward!) I hope that gives you a little inspiration. It's hard when you are just starting out, but you can do it!
Kiyoshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

My changes began in early November 2010. The final straw for me was being sick of feeling trapped. I felt trapped inside the fat body I had to lug around and hated looking at in mirrors. I felt trapped inside my house because I would often avoid going out since I felt people were always staring at me. Almost everyone in my family is at least overweight and both my mother and father have been overweight most of their lives. My mother has been obese for about the past 10 years and is suffering from high blood pressure and is nearly diabetic. I'm almost 26 and have been overweight for most of my life and am scared of health problems. I want to live a long, healthy life! After a bad breakup ending a long, serious relationship I thought "enough is enough!" and began making many big changes in my life. 2011 is my year!

I didn't struggle to stay on plan, but I made changes very slowly. I began with simple food substitutions (fruit instead of candy, grilled instead of fried, etc) and added more water, vegetables, and general nutrient-rich food to my diet.

I began exercising about a month after beginning diet changes. I was very heavy and completely out of shape and struggled but always kept at it. I actually started with old Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies VHS tapes my mother's had for about 10+ years! I would do as much of the tape as I could then try to do 5-10 more minutes next time. The day I finally finished the entire tape with no rest breaks was a great victory! I've gradually worked more exercise into my lifestyle, like walking 3+ miles per day (started at 1 mi/day) and weight lifting.

I enjoy all the changes to my lifestyle and love feeling strong and healthy. I think back 6 months and know my former self couldn't believe how far I've come by now. I know I'll be saying the same thing in another 6 months so I try to remember that everyday to stay motivated! Tomorrow I'll be proud of myself for staying on plan and working hard today.

Last edited by Riesz; 05-03-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I had my a-ha moment when DH told me he was no longer attracted to me in October of 2009. I hate to say this but I lost 40 lbs and gained most of it back. At my highest weight, I was just 3lbs shy of being DOUBLE my weight from when he met me.

Today everything was slapped right back in my face again. DH is still not attracted to me which makes it hard for him to be affectionate. He says he loves me but isn't in love with me because of how I treat myself.

I have absolutely no excuse or reason for not changing my weight. So here I am, trying again.

Last edited by justaloozer; 05-03-2011 at 09:36 PM.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaloozer View Post
I had my a-ha moment when DH told me he was no longer attracted to me in October of 2009. I hate to say this but I lost 40 lbs and gained most of it back. At my highest weight, I was just 3lbs shy of being DOUBLE my weight from when he met me.

Today everything was slapped right back in my face again. DH is still not attracted to me which makes it hard for him to be affectionate. He says he loves me but isn't in love with me because of how I treat myself.

I have absolutely no excuse or reason for not changing my weight. So here I am, trying again.

wow!
that's brutal.
are you ok with him saying that?
anawhatsme is offline   Reply With Quote