Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Default Learning to LOVE work outs

So, I slacked off, and took almost a week off from my daily 3 mile walks. Now it's like pulling teeth to convince myself to get back out there. The first 2 days I stopped walking were legit, the weather was AWFUL (snow, sub-freezing, crazy winds), but those 2 legit days grew, and 3 or 4 days of slacking were tacked on. I managed to drag myself out for my walk today, and while I contemplated cutting it down to a 2 mile walk because I didn't feel like doing the full 3 miles, I pushed through, and did it all.

How do you learn to love exercise? When I read posts about people who LOVE going to the gym, or going to a class, or doing a boot camp I am jealous. I used to love working out when I was a teen. I ran and cycled for the fun of it. Now I am fat, lots of things hurt my knee (it's arthritic), I physically can't do 1/2 the stuff I see other people doing and it frustrates me.

I WANT to be someone who just "can't wait" to do a work out, so how do you get there?

Last edited by OhMyDogs; 04-19-2011 at 01:36 PM.
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #2  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

That's a good question! I hope you'll forgive the long answer, but I think it requires one. Last year I did a lot of weightlifting and cycling (indoor and outdoor), with occasional forays into hiking, swimming, and/or jogging. Right now I work out 6 days a week for at least an hour a day. I swim, bike, and run and have been trying to wedge in some weights and core workouts. 90% of the time I enjoy it, and some of it I love.

The first thing that comes to mind is that I don't love it every day, and I don't love all workouts equally. But we'll get back to that.

The second thing that comes to mind is that I didn't love it that way for most of the first year. At first, it was 10 minutes on the stationary bike every other day, which I gradually increased. My number one priority is/was not to hurt myself. I hated feeling fat, I hated huffing and puffing, I hated my belly bouncing and my fat draping over the weight bench. Sometimes I just did it because I felt that I had to.

So...what about liking it? As time has gone on, I have been able to see results. My hamstrings got some better definition; or I could go a little farther. I could lift a little more. I had X number of days with workouts on my log. My waist was a little smaller. In short, I had tangible results and could feel some pride in all the work I did.

That's part of it. A second part is the goal - I set myself a goal, as you know, to do a sprint triathlon. I have registered for two, and I am going to be perfectly capable of doing it - that is an AMAZING feeling. and because I am a goal-oriented person, meeting that goal will be very satisfying for me.

The third part is the lift. As I've gotten better, I can go farther, I can go faster, I can go longer, my body feels good...and the endorphins kick in. I just plain feel good. All together, then, I have really positive associations with exercise, and I've come to love it.

That said, it is easy for one missed workout to become three or five, so you're not alone. Some days I have to force myself to go out, and sometimes I don't love it. When it's 5F outside, or uber-windy, or I'm out of sorts, I don't. On balance, though, it is such a positive aspect of my life that I look forward to it every day.

I don't love running and I'll be surprised if I ever do. Cycling and swimming...I feel powerful, there's no impact so it doesn't hurt. In the pool it doesn't matter a whit if you're fat.

Long answer, short question, hope it helps.

Last edited by calluna; 04-19-2011 at 02:00 PM.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #3  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

I wish I knew... I don't. Now, I love that I joined a super nice gym, I love the thought of getting fitter, and I LOVE getting to steam/ sauna afterwards! But everything before that I don't enjoy. Even though I know I will feel SO good the second I get there getting myself motivated is the worst... Help meeee toooo!!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

It takes time AND also making your workouts fun helps a lot. Like me my workouts are a time for me to listen to my music and jam out so I look forward to them.

I probably didn't like workouts until like a year into losing weight so don't feel bad.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #5  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Ohmydogs, thanks for starting another great thread. I have exactly the same problem. I am finally at the point where I step on the treadmill probably at least 5 days a week.
However, I noticed that I increase speed (walking so far) and time I spend on it quickly but in recent weeks I slacked off. I just can't bring myself to do more than half the time I did weeks ago. I also started doing weights but less and less now. I feel like I am lacking energy.
Not sure if I ever get to the point where I enjoy (or even love) working out.

At least I keep losing weight for now.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #6  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I probably didn't like workouts until like a year into losing weight so don't feel bad.
I am really glad to hear that! I am hoping that part of me being not motivated is that I am still lugging around quite a lot of pounds. I do feel lighter already but I am still not up for a run!
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #7  

Thanks for so much input ladies.

I know this will sound really silly, but I have just been in tears about this. I was trying to explain this to my husband, but I don't think he'll understand because he's happy with his life. I'm not, I WANT to be active, I want to LOVE being active, but my reality, right now, is that I don't.

Maybe part of the problem is not having found something I love doing. I live in the middle of nowhere, about 1/2 hour from the city, and while that's not terribly far, it's not feasible for me to go in daily to take a class or whatever, especially with the price of gas.

I am not sure that I can make it clear...I really do want to love it. I crave doing something physical that I love. I remember the euphoria from when I used to run, and when I used to bike years and years ago.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't go to the gym, I bought a treadmill for $100 on Craigslist and then it's just me, my TV, and my ipod with the treadmill.

I do have weights and stuff I bought to do my workout DVD's as well

I honestly HATE going to the gym lol. I get grossed out thinking about people sweating all over the machines... *yack* lol.

Finding what's fun for you is best, even if it's just going for a jog around your neighborhood. Just make sure to be safe!

Last edited by beerab; 04-19-2011 at 02:46 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #9  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Height: 5' 7"

First of all, take a deep breath and realize you are not the only one feeling this way.

I also did not workout or even like hearing the word. Because of that, I gained over 100 pounds. I became lazy and did not really care anymore. Those things changed after becoming a grandmother and realizing that I could not keep up with the grandkids and I wanted to set a good example. I looked deep inside myself and decided that it was up to me, no more excuses.

I do not belong to a gym, and never will. I work out using WATP DVDs, lift weights, pilates, yoga, walk and ride my bicycle, that's it (sounds like a lot, but I don't want to be bored). I started real slow with walking a few miles (I hated it). The weight started to come off and I realized that I could do this, I could lose weight and feel good. I just dug down deep and pushed myself. There are days that I do not want to work out, and I don't, but I know I have to get back to it or I could slip back to my old ways. I have learned to love working out. I feel empowered knowing this is something I alone can do for myself. I can make myself feel and look good.

Look at the fitness video threads. Maybe you could find something you like. I love to walk and walk 2.5 miles during my lunch break every day I am at the office. I work out the minute I get home in the evening and I have more involved workouts on the weekend. Set mini-goals. Join a challenge! May is bike month and I signed up for a challenge at our office. I plan on riding 200 miles during the month of May. We had a Walk Across America challenge last year and I joined that as well. Just keep trying different things that will keep you motivated. Once you see what exercise can do for your body and mind, you will get hooked.
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

Great question!!! I feel the exact same way. I am not cleared to exercise for another week. (had a c/s) But its something I have been worried about too. For me, I am going to start small and go from there. I think in the past I have done too much, too fast, too soon. I miss the wow I feel energized from this part and go straight to the omg I cant breathe and my legs feel like they can no longer hold me up part. If you find out what works for you make sure to let us know!!!
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #11  

I have been talking with my husband (he's an IT guy, so we email back and forth all day), and I'm going to get a bike, which will help. I always enjoyed bike riding, so that should be a good place to start. I am also looking into classes in the city (30 minutes away) I could manage to go once a week or so I am sure, I just need to see if I can find something that interests me.

I WANT to be fit, I WANT to get fit, this isn't about "I don't want to get off my @ss and work at it". I am more than willing, I would just like to enjoy what I am doing, while I do it, and I am trying to figure out how to do that.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #12  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

I think a bike is a good choice - you're (or at least I am) a lot more likely to enjoy low-to-no impact activity. Go fast, have fun, and make sure you get a seat designed for female sitbones.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

When I slack off, I have the HARDEST time getting back on the horse. I dread exercise, I hate it, I want nothing more than to never think about exercise again! BUT-when I keep it up and do it when I need to, and just don't make excuses, I look forward to it, and yes, I am actually starting to like it!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #14  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

I have been thinking about this lately... I suddenly realized I enjoy exercise. I have been a bit crazy with it lately (I have decided to train for a Triathlon).

I was thinking back to my HS days when I would try to work out to Cindy Crawford's workout VHS tape. I hated it. It sucked and I did what I could to avoid doing it. The difference between then and now is - If I don't like it, I don't do it. Cindy Crawford was boring and she went too fast and her form sucks. But I do enjoy taking classes at my gym. I like being with other people.

The other difference is... when I first joined a gym in 2001, I could barely do 10 mins. on an elliptical. Now, I hit the gym and do an hour of cardio and leave feeling great. The fact that I am in SO MUCH better shape than I used to be makes it more enjoyable. Being physically CAPABLE of doing things makes it more enjoyable. I think you have to get over that hump where it is just hard torture and get to where it is a bit easier.

Lastly, I have decided to train for a triathlon - this gives my exercise purpose. I am not doing it just to do it - I am doing it with a very specific goal in mind. You said you like bike riding - you could look into joining a bike group in your area, or look in to bike races. Find some sort of goal that isn't weight loss oriented. Even a goal of being able to do 'x' miles on your bike in 'x' amount of time by a specific date.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote