I'm Surrendering

• I battle with myself so often, it's so tiring and frustrating. It's so hard dealing with this battle.

this is just one example...

Me:I need to go to the gym.
    Self: I don't wanna.
    ME:You need to go, it's important.
    Self:But I'm so tired, and I don't feel like it.
    Me: You need to go because you've payed $60 to go this month and every other month for the last 3 years and you will be wasting your money if you don't go. And besides if you don't go you'll probably stay fat & unhealthy.
    Self: But...
    Me: I know you don't want to but you need to.
    Self: Ok, I'll go but I don't have to be happy about it.

THis ^^ is so hard to deal with! I'm sick of it!

This would be a better thing...

Me: You need to go to the gym.
    Self: OK

I'm surrendering. I cant deal with the battle any longer! I am always battling with going to the gym, foods to eat or not eat, doing chores, going places. I wonder why I'm so tired all the time, it's because I fight with myself constantly! I'm not doing it anymore. I'm going to try my best to just get up and do the things I have to do, no matter how hard I think they might be.
  • the good thing is you end up going in the end anyway! just keep going and you'll get to your goal
  • I think to truly get success in the scope of a lifetime, you have to surrender. My father always talked about that when he was loosing weight, but I never really paid much attention until I just decided to surrender. It was like giving up, but in the opposite way-I gave up arguing, grumbling, negative feelings about exercise. I don't love exercise, but I love what it does for my self esteem, my body, and my mind. So, that's that.
  • I'm going to tell you I used to deal with the exact same thing and with time it does get better

I found PLANNING set times to work out also helped. "I'm working out at 8 pm" and I would be working out at 8 pm.

One last thing also- I DEPLORE the gym (yes hate is not extreme enough) and so I cancelled my membership, bought a used treadmill on craigslist for $100, and I consistently use it 2-3 times a week. I also have some video tapes and weights and honestly doing it at home is the BEST for me
  • Google "Nike no excuses commercial." I watched it the first day I began running, and have thought about it so many times since.
  • Whenever I try and talk myself out of the gym I listen to a bunch of really good dancing music, before you know it you feel more lively and want to go!
  • OMG, that track played OVER and OVER in my head forever.......until recently. What changed, well, me mostly, but in addition to that I changed up my routine at the gym. It wasn't until I did that, that I realized I was totally bored with what I was doing. I also added some new fun music to my ipod (and I do this regularly now).

I LOVE my gym workouts now. Ok, so that might not happen for you, but try changing it up a bit.
  • Sometimes I try to talk myself out of stopping by the gym when I drop my kids off at school. When that happens I usually tell myself "just go and do 30 mins. cardio, it won't take long then you can leave and not feel guilty". By the time I'm done with the cardio I'm feeling so much better, and always do the rest of my routine. It a silly game I play with myself but it works for me.
  • I'm going to agree with Cajun Moma.

When I did my first triathlon, I was so overwhelmed and scared and things were NOT going right during the swim portion and the ONLY thing that kept me going were these little deals I made along the way.

"Okay, Jessica, all you got to do is swim to the halfway mark. Once you hit that, you can get out of the water and go home. No hard feelings."

"Oh? That was the halfway mark? Okay, well, get to the finish line and then run out of the water and then you have completed the swim, wow! And you can go home. No hard feelings."

"Well, I'm wet anyway and I like riding my bike so I might as well dry off by doing the bike portion and THEN you can go home. No hard feelings."

And so on. Until I realized that I WANTED to finish and then the bargaining went away. Afterward, an honest-to-goodness competitive racer read my bargaining process and he said it's the exact same process he used when competing. I felt validation that it wasn't just a fat girl's trick.
  • Beerab message about "planning" is quite wise. How often do you battle yourself about brushing your teeth? Rarely, because it's part of your routine, or your plan, right?

Make exercise a part of your routine with no excuses.

When I first started I went to the gym no matter what...absolutely no matter what. It was not an option, so there was no arguing. Once I was sick! I got up, got dressed, drove to the gym, walked into the locker room, turned around and went home! I was too sick to go, but I went anyway just to prove a point to myself. I had to go, no matter what.

As far as diet, that one's harder, but once again having a plan is what gets you through it. My easiest days are those when I am at work because my food is all planned out. If I didn't bring it, I can't eat it. You can do the same at home. The night before you can preplan everything you intend to eat the next day and then stick to it. Yes, easier said than done, I know. But this method is far easier than winging it.
  • Cajun and Jessica bring up good points too. I'm another bargainer. There are days I do not feel like putting in a grueling workout, and that's ok! A mediocre workout can be just as good. If ever I'm not feeling whatever I have planned, it is ok to back off and do something else.
  • Surrending is part of success I think, giving up the fight. The bad kind of fight. The 3 year old in us that wants to do what we want, and when we want. I figured I could punch that snotty brat in the face when it says to buy a $200 purse. I could do it when it said meh let's not clean house today. I could resist buying things, and I always cleaned my house. So I knew that spoiled brat could be beaten in all things!!! mwwwahahahahahhaha that sounds so evil ha, but it's true! Once I stopped negotiating with her, I won