Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 05:39 PM   #1  

Default can't stop bingeing on junk-help!

Hi,
I'm sitting here with major heartburn and am totally disgusted with myself...I am starting "again" on 1/1/03-and since I've made that decision, I've been eating practically non-stop..and I can't seem to stop. I'm afraid to check the scale-I've probably gained back every pound I managed to lose, and will end up starting the new year heavier than when I was on program from 11/1 til the second week of December. I had lost eleven pounds, but I'm sure most of it was gained back by now.

How do you put the brakes on the holiday eating overload? I'm trying to clear our house of any leftover junk food-gave away some brownies and baking stuff yesterday. I ate a healthy breakfast (toast and low fat cottage cheese) and lunch (veggie burger) but in between I've eaten total crap.

It seems once I know I'm starting over, I try to fit in all this food I won't be "allowed" to eat. I have no concept of portion control when it comes to sweets. I don't understand how people can eat "just a little bit" and stop. I can't do it. I'll have to go cold turkey.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to start 2003 heavier than I started 2002!

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 12-26-2002, 06:20 PM   #2  
Slowly going crazy!

Sherry,
I did this exact same thing before I had my surgery.
Even ate an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream in one sitting one week before.. *LOL* (I had never done that before).

For me, I need to continually remind myself that the food will still be around even after I am through with this liquid/mush diet.

One thing to remember is that food will always be there.

It's almost like when you know a good friend has to move away to another state, and you want to spend every last minute with them before they leave, because you know you will miss it terribly.
But, you forget, that you can email that friend, and call or write letters to still keep in touch.

For me, I was forced to leave the food, when I had surgery, but I know I can have it later. ( the surgery=my lost willpower)

Same with a diet. Once you get to a place where you can control your portions and your eating, you will be able to enjoy the food, but in smaller quantities.
It's like enjoying your friend who comes to visit for a couple of days or weekends a year...etc. You will appreciate the "forbidden' food more when it's not so accessible.

You can start by thinking what I think.
"Bye for now...piece of thick, creamy fudge"...I'll see you in a few months...etc.

I know it isn't easy, heck I'm struggling with it all too. I just have to keep remembering that the food will always be there when I am ready to have it.

I think going cold turkey always makes it harder as well.
Maybe set out a bit each night for what you will 'allow' yourself to have the next day. That way you can take a bit of control back.
When you wake up in the morning you can say...ooh...today I can have 'fudge, nachos, .... whatever) and that's it.

I'm not sure if that would help at all...I hope you can use maybe on of these tips, I know I'm going to keep working on the 'saying good-bye' part of it all.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:54 PM   #3  
hot mom wanna be!

I wish I had some great words of wisdom for you, but I don't!
I am kind of an all or nothing girl myself. I am either "on" all the way or I am not on at all. I have managed to maintain even if not losing this time around. (of course it has taken me two years to lose 78 pounds!) Not six or seven months like I would do in the past. Just tell yourself tommorow you are going to stick to 1800 calories (or whatever number you want) and just do it!!
You can do it one day at a time!
Laura
Old 12-26-2002, 11:06 PM   #4  

Hi,
Gosh I do the same thing, Sometimes I get eating and it feels like I can't stop. It can feel comforting to have my stomache feel full, like a warm cozy feeling. Other times I hardly think of food. I keep trying to analyze these moods but havent come up with anything. I just swing from overeating to undereating and back again.

Now I try to set small goals. For instance, I work in a hospital where patients give boxes of candy at holidays. THis Xmas, I went to work and there were 6 boxes of candy for all the nurses and aids. Usually I will pick at the boxes thoughout my shift. This time I made a goal of eating one piece and no more. I actually accomplished that goal. Now I make tiny goals like that in hopes of learning the big one .....daily control of food before me.

With so many diet books out, what I really need is not a diet or food list but information on why I overeat and cant always stop.

IsabellaMay
Old 12-27-2002, 01:28 AM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello Suzie and everyone!

I can identify exactly with your situation ~ setting a date to start, then trying to cram in all the forbidden stuff I think I shouldn't have once I start trying to "be good".

As someone else mentioned, I know that the food isn't going away ~ like I can never get it again once I start ~ but that doesn't stop me.

I don't know what is wrong with me. I don't know how to "fix it" and change my habits ~ how to make these be changes for life, and not just temporary. Because they are going to need to be changes for life if I am ever to win this battle.

I plan to start again ~ probably 1/2/03 ~ my husband's vacation time from work will be over, and we will have returned to our normal routine. It seems to be a little easier to be OP when following the normal daily routine. I am trying to be positive, but worry already about how long I will be able to do what I know I need to do, before I screw up again.

Wish me luck.

glynne
Old 12-27-2002, 09:13 AM   #6  

I don't want to tell you what eating program to use, but for me it has always helped to follow a low-carb program because it stops the craving for all the junk. Of course, the problem is getting started with it, because the cravings don't go away for a few days!

Pen
265/214.5/150ish
Old 12-30-2002, 10:10 AM   #7  

I won't begin to tell you the things I consumed yesterday. I was telling myself, tomorrow, I will start again. It's almost the New Year. I will just finish off the holiday weekend.

I am bloated and disguted.

Sometimes I wonder if am addicted. I look around my life, and yes, I am wonderfully stressed and going through emotions. ALot am not too happy with. So...I eat. And then I feel worse.

TODAY..I am going to be OP.
TODAY..I am going to drink my water.
TODAY..I am going to exercise.
TODAY..I am going to post and read on 3FC.
TODAY..I am going to prepare healthy meals.

This is all I can do at this point.

Closed Thread