Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Default Walking, for more than burning calories.

I have a gym membership, but it's in the city 40 minutes away. Sometimes, when cash is tight, I can't go because we don't have the gas. This has been the case for a week and a half now. So I decided that I was going to take up walking. My girls are in school full time, I am a stay at home mom, so I thought that going for a walk EVERY single day (even when we're back to having gas) would be a cheap and productive way to spend some time during my day, and help ensure I am getting at least 30 minutes of activity a day. I alternate between 1.6 mile and 2.75 mile walks, and have been enjoying them quite a bit (aside from my new shoes chewing up my heel, but eventually that will stop).

So last night my husband surprised me with getting some extra gas in the van so I could go to the gym (tomorrow is payday, this week's been killer). So off I went. Now, I had only been going 3 times a week at the best of times. I could do 9 minutes on the elliptical with a 2 minute cool down, and I found it hard to get through.

So last night, I set the elliptical to my usual 9 minutes, with a 2 minute cool down, and away I went. As I got to about 8.5 minutes, I realized that I wasn't NEARLY as tired as I typically am at that point, and decided that when it hit time for my cool down, I'd put 10 more minutes on the machine, and just go as long as I could. Turns out, my usual 9 minutes, with a 2 minute cool down turned into 18 minutes with a 1 minute cool down. I DOUBLED my time, and the only thing I had been doing recently was walking every day. Who knew that walking could increase stamina so much? Certainly not me!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #2  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Awesome!! Good for you!!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/217/195

Height: 5ft4

Thats amazing! Good for you!

I've been wanting to get into walking myself.. this inspired me into wanting to even more.
MzHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #4  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Woohoo! I love walking and it can be a goal for a lifetime to just walk a little every day
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm a big fan of walking! I don't go to a gym, the outside is my gym LOL I'm not a huge fan of "nature walks" tho, I like concrete with a flat surface so I can't twist an ankle etc., inclines are awesome as long as it's paved ha I'm such a princess!!

In the bad weather this winter, I've been doing mall walks, and our huge entertainment venue complex opens its doors during the day (even gives pedometers to borrow!) and you can walk around it and up and down the stairs, very invigorating!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Awesome! I too do a lot of walking, and I love it. I am definitely the kind of person that would rather be outside than in a gym. Hiking, heavy hands walking and regular walking are all great-I even run outside now! Keep it up!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #7  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Walk!

[QUOTE=OhMyDogs;3782578]I have a gym membership, but it's in the city 40 minutes away. Sometimes, when cash is tight, I can't go because we don't have the gas. This has been the case for a week and a half now. So I decided that I was going to take up walking. My girls are in school full time, I am a stay at home mom, so I thought that going for a walk EVERY single day (even when we're back to having gas) would be a cheap and productive way to spend some time during my day, and help ensure I am getting at least 30 minutes of activity a day.

Hey!
You sound like you're in the same scenario as I am.
#1. I live in the country, so anywhere is pretty much a drive!
#2. I'm a SAHM and have been throughout my children growing up. Now, just one child left at home that I homeschool.
#3. Our weight(s) are similar.

I "should" just walk around the land that we have, but alas, I haven't implemented that into my day. Should I end that sentence with.....YET?!!!

But, hey kudos to you and your exercising.
Best of luck to you on your weight loss.

KELLI
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #8  

Wonderful!

Stacy

245/227/160
starfish27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #9  

Thank you everyone!! I am just so pleased that something as minimal as going for a walk every day could have such an impact on my endurance and stamina! AWESOME!!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #10  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Go you!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #11  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

The first 14 months of my journey were spent walking my neighborhood or the school track. Walking helped me build up to be alot stronger in that time. By last summer I was walking the neighborhood (4 miles) in 95 degree heat pulling my 2 little boys in the wagon, it was a WORKOUT! We even did the hills. My walks have now turned into runs.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #12  
Lazybones

S/C/G: 260/255/155

A nice reminder that any bit of effort pays off! A great motivator and it's FREE. My co-workers and I are walking on breaks and can't wait for warmer weather to expand our walks in the fresh air. Happy walking!
Slimjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

Wow, that is excellent!

I can't afford a gym membership so I mainly exercise by walking. The back of my neighborhood is a giant loop so I think of that as my track. I typically walk about 3 miles per day in an hour.

I've noticed drastically increased endurance since I started walking mid-Feb. Now I feel sluggish if I don't get my daily walk in! I've even made a few friends with retired folks around the neighborhood. I love being outdoors and it's FREE exercise! Woohoo!
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riesz View Post
Wow, that is excellent!

I can't afford a gym membership so I mainly exercise by walking. The back of my neighborhood is a giant loop so I think of that as my track. I typically walk about 3 miles per day in an hour.

I've noticed drastically increased endurance since I started walking mid-Feb. Now I feel sluggish if I don't get my daily walk in! I've even made a few friends with retired folks around the neighborhood. I love being outdoors and it's FREE exercise! Woohoo!

I totally understand Riesz. If I hadn't quit smoking, there would be no way I could afford a gym membership either. As it is, I only get to go sometimes...lol I could go 3x a week every single week if my husband would quit smoking too. But he will whenever he's ready! You can't push someone into quitting smoking because they won't succeed until they are ready.

My walks have been alternating, yesterday was 3 miles, so today is supposed to be 1.6 miles. But I am not sure if I will end up doing 1.6 miles today, or if I'll end up doing 3 miles again. My knee is bothering me today (I have arthritis in it), I think from the soft ground (between melting snow, and mud roads), but I took some Advil, and I feel better after my 3 mile walks, I feel like I cheated on the 1.6 mile walks, but I will wait and see how my knee does before I decide...heck I may not decide until I am on my way (both start off the same way).

I love walking!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #15  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Yay walking! I love it, too. And the neatest thing about it for me, is that I feel like part of the outside world! Being in the car watching the world isn't at all the same thing as being out IN it. I'm appreciating the subtle signs of the changing seasons being out there, and noticing little touches in people's yards, etc, that I never would have noticed driving by. I have developed a new appreciation for my neighborhood, and really feel like a part of it. And my sweet little doggies are LOVING it, too.

Nope, not one bad thing to say about walking outside!

P.S. In case anyone hasn't heard about it, try mapmywalk.com. It's fun to make up new routes and know the exact distance.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote