Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #1  
Resisting the Urge

S/C/G: 282.4/Ticker/199.9

Height: 5'8"

Default Best Gym Routine?

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

So I finally got myself a gym membership (its only been 4 months since I said I would ) I usually just end up going to the gym, walking to an elliptical and spending 30 minutes on it then heading home, that's not going to cut it.
I was wondering if you ladies had any advice on gym oriented workout routines that work well?

So any advice would be welcome, I am thinking of starting some Les mills classes and swimming laps in the morning, but I feel clueless when it comes to strength training and such. And I have no other obligation after work so time isn't really an issue.

Today will be day one! I have a cruise in one month and want to work it to the max for the next 30 days!
Essa415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

This is hard to answer because there are a million different ways to go about it, and not one right way. But I'll give it a shot!

You need to decide how you want to split your cardio and strength time. I suggest if you do cardio and strength on the same day that you do your strength FIRST followed by cardio.

With strength you basically want to make sure you're getting enough rest between muscle groups. I often workout either two days of strength and split it upper body one day and lower body another OR I workout five days and split as follows:
  • chest/abs
  • legs
  • back/abs
  • shoulders
  • biceps/triceps/abs

Notice I do abs three days a week. The abs and the calves can be worked out with less rest in between.

Most gyms offer to show you around the equipment for free and most of the equipment shows you which body part that machine is working on. This a good way to start. From there you can research other ways to work out those body parts with free weights. There's a wealth of information out there for that. 90% of my work outs are with free weights and/or body weight and I got most of it online.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

The best gym routine is the one you'll stick to

Seriously, there is such a variety of exercises and equipment that works well for different people. My recommendation would be free weights three days a week and cardio the other two, on whatever machine tickles your fancy. I don't like gyms, so that colors my answer somewhat.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #4  
Resisting the Urge

S/C/G: 282.4/Ticker/199.9

Height: 5'8"

Great advice ladies!! Thanks! I know its hard to know exactly what will work for each individual but just wanted to get some jump start advice from you lovely ladies!

Eliana - I'll have to look into a machine tour tonight so I can familiarize myself. I'll definitely use your advice! Thanks!
Essa415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Does your gym offer different classes?
I love going to classes. I am not good at self-directed exercise.
I tried the salsa dancing class last night for the first time. It was quite a leg workout and definitely cardio involved there. I liked it enough to go back next week.
I love the body pump class twice a week for strength training (I am still at the lowest possible weight because unlike most students, I am moving an extra 70+ lbs.)
I also do a yoga class 1 x wk, water aerobics 3-4 x wk.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It's intimidating starting out, I know. But if you go at the same time every day, after a few weeks you'll start to pick out familiar faces and it won't be long before you're one of the "regulars". It's ok to ask. People like showing off what they know. I also like to watch other people and check out what crazy things they are doing. Then I'll add that to my routine for next time. I had a PT for a while and he admitted to doing the same thing.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote