3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Stretch marks getting worse as I lose weight (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/228949-stretch-marks-getting-worse-i-lose-weight.html)

StarryEyes86 03-26-2011 12:30 PM

Stretch marks getting worse as I lose weight

So I have stretch marks on my stomach from being fat. It's really embarrassing since I've never been pregnant. But anyway, when I was at my heaviest, they blended in with my skin and they're barely noticeable. But now that I've lost 15 pounds, they've turned purple and you can see the lines textures. It's so gross! I guess it means that I've lost inches, but come on! Anyone have any tips to mask this? I still have about 105 pounds left to lose and I'm just really worried. I'm already worried about loose skin let alone stretch marks. Anyone else whose lost over 100 pounds ever dealt with this? Thanks.

lottie63 03-26-2011 12:52 PM

my bf has lost about 40 lbs and is dealing with this (he's much smaller than me.

He uses cocoa butter sticks on them, it seems to work. I'll start using it soon probably as well.

Jen516 03-26-2011 12:56 PM

Every body reacts differently... In theory, your skin will shrink down some, but it takes more time than losing the fat. And it helps if you don't lose too fast, so your skin has time to adjust at each stage. You are younger, so that works in your favor. From my experience so far (65lb down from 288lb), my skin has caught up some. It's not perfect of course, but it wasnt to start with either :o. And it's better than I was afraid it would be. I worried about this too, but ultimately losing the weight far outweighs having some lose skin. (And I hated it when people said that when I first started... it seems to be something we almost all worry about but hardly ever is an issue later.) Best of luck and keep up the good work!! :D

xty 03-26-2011 01:03 PM

My absolute best suggestion is to focus a ton on building muscle and strength training. I cant explain the physiological body mechanics of why it helps, but it seems to...make my skin stick to the muscle if that makes any sense.

I have very bad stretch marks after many, many gains and loses that were quick in my childhood - early 20s. They seemed most noticeable before I had defined muscle tone.

The other things I suggest are:
- hydration
- eating as many antioxidants as possible + omega3s (not supplements, as part of a balanced diet)
- dry body brushing

Everyone is of course different though, and you will likely find that at different parts of your weight loss journey your own body is different!

Trazey34 03-26-2011 01:12 PM

yup, ever 'body' is so different! After I'd lost about 50 I noticed the sides of my stomach were purplish, almost MAD looking LOL I've never had kids either btw, but a friend of ours is a derm and he recommended vitamin e on them. I'd snap a capsule and rub it over them and the boobs, now I'm not saying I don't have any stretch marks now LOL but at least they're the faint silvery colour and not harsh and noticeable.

Good luck and please don't let the worry about stretch marks or loose skin deter your loss in any way -- those things are cosmetic and SO easily camouflaged they aren't worth losing sleep over. LIVING LONGER is kinda worth it!!!

time2lose 03-26-2011 02:21 PM

My stretch marks stayed a silvery color when I lost weight. I think it was because I had them for many many years. My son used MedermaŽ Stretch Marks Therapy and it helped his stretch marks.

Nikki6kidsmom 03-26-2011 06:58 PM

I have always preferred to tan mine (tanning bed, no flaming please) just for my own viewing pleasure. I also use lotion with vitamin e every single day. I have plenty from having large babies but with flat tummy and a tan it's no longer an embarrassment for me.

I know as females we get fixated on a small flaw and make ourselves think it's a huge ordeal. Try to focus on your shrinking self, feeling healthy and staying positive. No one is perfect and even super models have things airbrushed out of pictures all the time. HUGS!