Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone belong to any other forums?

*edit* Comment deleted. I originally wrote this thread asking for website recommendations, but got a lot of opinion instead. I think it's best to close it. Thanks to those of you who responded.

Last edited by kelly315; 09-14-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Are you reading the same posts in here that I am? You have over 1900 posts and have been in here for over 3 years. I'm a newbie compared to you, but I find all sorts of help and support here. And zero in the way of small / always small members. And I don't recall many posts at all about losing for the sake of vanity. What exactly are you looking for? Who in here has never been fat? Boy, one of us is really missing something.

Glad to see you're back on plan. I'm not sure where you're going to find a forum like you describe. You want one geared specifically to your problems as you see them. Remember - you're posting this in the 100 pound club forum - no one in this part of 3fc has "never been fat" to the best of my ability to read tickers, etc. We all have our own particular struggle with obesity. Just because my struggle is a bit different from yours doesn't mean we can't help and support each other.

If you were a "junior member" I'd suggest you hang around for a while. Since you have been around longer than many of the very active members in here, I'm not sure what to say. I'm just baffled that you think there is no support for you in here!

Hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 09-13-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #3  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Gosh, I've actually found exactly what you're looking for within the threads of the 100lb club forum. So many amazing women that have and are losing a hundred pounds or more...and doing it on their own...healthy and slow. The Daily Weighing as well as the "Time to get out of such and such decade" threads are my favorites but I have found almost any thread in this forum to be the kind of healthy experience and sound advice I've been searching for.

Here's hoping you find the kind of advise and support that works you for somewhere.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #4  

Deleted.

Last edited by kelly315; 09-14-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #5  

I'm pretty new to posting, but I haven't encountered any of the issues you have. That said, if this isn't the right environment for you, then by all means seek out one with a better fit.

I used to be a member of Livejournal Community 100lbs2lose....it doesn't seem to be super active any more, but it might have some of what you are looking for: 100pounds2lose.livejournal.com

Also, have you tried the weight watchers forums....specifically the large amount to lose forums (the regular forums will probably have many of the same issues that you are having here)?

Good luck, wherever you end up!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #6  

Thanks Altheia- I'll check out the livejournal one, but I'm not a ww member so I don't know if I can go there. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist. I don't know of any such weight loss site that is so specific that it excludes the viewpoints you've mentioned having a problem with. We're all here from different places, and for different reasons (and that's just as true on all the other sites).

Weight loss is a mixed bag for all of us, and you're never going to find a site that includes only views and values you're comfortable with. Weight loss is too personal a journey for that. But you don't have to agree with everyone to benefit from a diverse community - and the diversity brings a lot more benefits than disadvantages. You can always ignore or argue with what you don't agree with, but you can't entirely avoid it, no matter where you go.

There are a lot of sub-communities here at 3FC - and when you get more familiar with them, you can stick to those you find the most comfortable. But I'm afraid that's the best you can do, no matter where you go - because there are no websites to the best of my knowledge that fit your ideal. In fact, 3FC is about the kindest, gentlest, most tolerant, most reasonable weight loss site I've found.

On the other sites, I've experienced far worse in the way of wacky advice, insults, name-calling, hate-speach, and even evil-stalker behavior.

I'm afraid if you find the 3FC atmosphere disturbingly judgemental, you're going to be horrified by what is out there on the other sites. I don't know any that eliminate people based on their degree of overweightness. Besides, where do you draw the line. Some people will be uncomfortable with anyone who doesn't have at least 50 lbs to lose, whereas someone else would be uncomfortable with anyone who didn't have at least 100 lbs to lose, and someone else would want to exclude those who've never been 200 lbs overweight, or who've never been bed-bound.

If your well-being is being harmed by comments on 3FC, I would not encourage you to go looking for other sites, because you're going to be torn apart. When I first joined 3FC, I also belonged to other weight loss sites, and was used to the more argumentative sites, so 3FC seemed incredibly oversensitive to me. There was so much focus on tolerance, that some (to my opinion) very interesting and valuable debates got squashed. Eventually I realized why. 3FC is one of the most tolerant, kind, gentle and diverse of all the weight loss websites.

If you find 3FC-style disagreements with your personal philosophy harmful, the other websites are going to seem like **** itself.

Ironically, if I had read your post on any other website, I would have guided you here - because 3FC is the closest I can think of to what you say you want.

I can't even think of an in-person weight loss group that meets your requirement, because every weight loss group I've ever joined has always had diverse membership (the closest was a WW meeting specifically geared to people who had started with at least 100 lbs to lose - although even then some members with far less weight to lose would attend because it was the only meeting that fit their schedule).

Last edited by kaplods; 09-13-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Closed Thread