Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #1  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Default Flailing...

I've been working at losing weight since the end of August, and I now find myself flailing. I hovered at 201ish for weeks before making it into Onederland (in a genuine plateau), and I now I find myself flailing. I can't legitimately call this a plateau, because a large part of my stall is due to my food choices. With the exception of one major binge, my daily calorie intake has stayed pretty consistently below 1800 (my normal is about 1400, but with calorie shifting), but I've been giving in to the mini-binge urge. A granola bar here and a bag of popcorn there. A couple chocolates and a bite of cake. Half a donut and an extra oz of almonds. In addition, the motivation to exercise has also waned.

I've just barely managed to cross into Onederland, and I'm now at a weight I haven't seen on the scale since I was about 14 (and this was the weight I made it to before giving up on my diet and regaining at that age). I have many things to celebrate and many new goals ahead of me, but the voice in my head that was soooo good at saying "NO," seems to have suddenly developed laryngitis. I've been checking in at this site daily, but posting rarely, and I think I need to change that.... so here's step one to getting completely back on track
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Hey...
I've been following your posts around for awhile on here (no, I'm not a stalker, LOL!!) because we joined around the same time, and although I'm taller and had a higher start weight, I would also check out how you were doing and see how it compared to how I was doing. Well, you and one other person on here, I just felt like we are in the "same boat".

Let me tell you, you and the other poster have both made it to "onderland" before me (I'm really at a sticking point, and been eating completely on-plan,BTW) and it has been driving me NUTS!!!

I'm 33, and when I was about 23, I was able to get down to about 205, through mainly starvation methods. I didn't have the knowledge and research behind me back then, and was "dieting" rather than overhauling my lifestyle. Anyway, I gained it ALL BACK and then some. So part of my mental block is that I've never weighed less than this since high school. I catch myself saying, "it is impossible, you never weighed 165 as an adult, so you won't be able to". Which is complete horse puckey.

I'm with you on the exercise. I've been working out daily, and it is starting to get to me. I took a day off last week. I'm changing up my routine. I feel like I'm in the rut. Then, this morning, it hit me. So what if I maintain this 202 for the rest of my life? I'm healthier, I feel better, and I know I'm going to live longer. I know the weight will come off eventually, but putting the weight back on is NOT an OPTION. I tell you, 202 is better than 260+

Once I get comfortably in the 190's, I'm going to take a week off and eat at "maintenance" for that week. I think it will recharge my system and help revamp my metabolism. And, it is good practice.

I think you've done an awesome job. Go to Home Depot, pick up a 50lb bag of fertilizer. Celebrate that you're halfway through your weightloss journey. Go back and remember how you felt 50lbs heavier than you are now. Read some of the goal stories on here. Try a new fitness class, or delve into something different that doesn't involve food. Do whatever you need to do to inspire you and keep you focused. Posting on here is great--hope to read more from you.

Don't you dare quit!!! Some days, the only way I make it through is seeing the folk who started when I did, and that they are still "plugging along".

Here's to you, and all your success, and the success you'll have in the future
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Ugh, I'm so sorry it's tough going for you right now. I know how you feel!

I'm not sure if you've read it, but Judith Beck's "The Complete Beck Diet" (or whatever the exact title is!) really helped me get over my bumps in the weight-loss road. She's a cognitive behavioral therapist, and uses CBT techniques and tools in the book. I didn't do her actual "diet," but I've relied on those techniques over and over again in my journey.

Something to think about - in any case, keep going, and don't give up! You can do this!

Last edited by JenMusic; 03-07-2011 at 08:25 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Hi, my name is Taryl, and you are apparently my diet twin

More seriously, I know exactly how you feel and I'm sorry you're struggling. For me, I just have to out my foot down and be on plan. No ifs, ands, or buts. A few days of that and I am energized and back on track in no time.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

If you look through old posts you will see that many posters get stuck around 200. I call it the "200 curse"! I am affected too. I got into Onederland last fall. Then I gained a few pounds during the holidays and have struggled ever since. I know that if we stick with it, we will get to 190 and beyond! I have seen other people do it, so I know that we can too! We just have to be committed and not let those stray bites find their way into our mouths!

There used to be a "Getting out of the 190s" thread but I don't see it now. You may want to start one because it can be so helpful to have others to lose with. I don't join those types of threads because I lose so slowly that I find them discouraging.

I am sure that you will get back on track!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I think posting again is a wonderful idea! Posting and reading here everyday is a large part of my plan. You can do it!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #7  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm with you! I started my journey in August also. Though I've had some good success, I let myself flail. Now I'm wondering if it is more emotional, that we're tired of this walk, or if it is hormonal, from having changed so much. But I'm back on plan as of this week. We can do this! We SHALL do this! Our health really is worth it.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #8  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

No giving up here for sure I've let myself become complacent with regards to my plan, and I'm easing my way back in - getting better each day. I'm trying to be kind to myself, both with regards to making healthy choices, but also with how I "talk" to myself when I don't. I'm trying to understand the "why" behind my food choices instead of just seeing it as failure.

I've definitely gotten a ton of attention recently (I'm used to being a wallflower), and I'm getting nervous about moving across the country in June, so I'm thinking I may be sabotaging myself unknowingly to keep on my security blanket o' fat. It's weird how much our emotions conflict sometimes...one part desperately wanting to lose the weight and the other seemingly fighting against it
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #9  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

^Congrats for getting into Onederland. You've achieved a big loss so far.

I think that looking at why you wanted to lose the weight in the first place is a good motivator. Even small successes motivate me.

I also feel like I often sabotage myself from ever getting to where I want to be. The 'why's' are a good way to change that behaviour over time. I eat when I'm bored, stressed etc.. overeating can also be habitual in my opinion. I found exercising helped replace the boredom and stress. Maybe you can find something to replace the 'why's'.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Jojo381972; 03-09-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #10  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Cheryl's so right! I remember the last couple of pounds to 199 taking for ever, and then taking for ever to move on.

Tell yourself that OK, you've had this phase, now it's time to move on. i.e. acknowledge but don't beat yourself up.

The plan just one good day and achieve it. Then plan another, then two. It really does take baby steps, often, but it's so worth it. I speak as a serial roll-backer!!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/150

Height: 5'10

Oh my God you said exactly what I've been thinking! I'm at 215 and I just keep wondering why I'm allowing myself to cheat a little when I'm sooo close to my goal! (Well, relatively close). It seems like I'm sabotaging myself, like I don't deserve to be under 200 pounds! Blah! So stressful. Well you are beautiful and congrats on getting into the 100's! Well, I might not be any help to you but just know that you definitely made me feel better about my diet shortcomings. Especially when you say "I'm trying to understand the "why" behind my food choices instead of just seeing it as failure. " < Great. I think my big issue is if I have a chocolate covered almond I see it as failure, and I think "well screw it, I already messed up a little" and it's just an excuse to keep going big time! Well, I for one am done! Thank you for this inspiration )
sweetsmmr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

I just wanted to tell you congratulations on your weight loss so far. I know when I hit my halfway mark is when I really felt like I made a dent and I knew I was on the right track.
I tend to think in 10 pound increments, it's what helps me go on. Right now I am in the 160's, and excited as I was to arrive, I will be even more excited to leave them. Best wishes
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote