Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #1  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

Default Does anyone weigh weekly?

Hi members!

I searched for this thread so I apologise if this is a duplicate.

I know all the benefits of daily weighing, I think it is an amazingly useful tool and it has definately helped me to understand how my weight fluctuates and other things.

The thing is, I just feel like I am getting pulled into this vortex of obsession. Every morning I have a coffee, have a shower then step on the scale, see if i've lost anything or God forbid I have gained. This sets the mood for the day then in my mind I am counting down the hours until the next weigh in.

Basically I know that patience is essentially the key, and consistency. I'm not sure if daily weighing is the cause or just a symptom of my starting to get obsessive.

I just wanted to ask how many people out there are weekly weighers even monthly. I just seem to see so many daily weighers and lots have had incredible success (although I know there is so much more to it)
Does it help you to focus on living healthily or do you need to weigh daily to keep yourself in check?

Any input would be greatly appreciated
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I weigh daily because it keeps me focused, but I only update my ticker weekly on my official weigh in day. I actually weigh more than once a day, usually in the morning and then the evening. I think if it sets the mood for the day, it might not be a good thing for you to do. I think it depends on the person whether weighing daily or weekly is a good option (or monthly or whatever...some people do it only by measurements or the fit of their clothes). I will admit to a few times that I've sworn at the scale or something when I didn't like the number, but I quickly get over it and go on with my OP day. I think it can make some people feel "why bother" and then go and eat something they didn't plan on. If that's the case, it might not be for you. Anyways it's definitely an individual thing!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #3  
New start 24/10/10

Thanks for the reply sept15lija

Well it hasn't been a case of 'screw it all/what's the point' yet lol even when I have gained but in the past that is what getting obsessed has eventually lead to. It just mainly affects my mood.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

When I started, I weighed daily, and I got a little OCD with it. I was driving myself crazy so I switched to a weekly weigh-in (which I record here at 3fc in the 300+ club). Over time, I finally realized that fluctuations in weight from day to day (and and even night to day) is totally normal and really has very little to do with the amount of FAT I am losing. Even when I have a gain one week, I pretty much look at the end result of the MONTH as the real indicator of my success.

Perfect example is what is going on this month for me. I decided to do daily weigh in this month 1) to see what upping my protein would do and 2) to track how much is gained during pre-TOM week. My results:
Feb 1: 188.4
February 6: 186.8 (-1.6)
February 13: 183.2 (-3.6)
February 20: 182.6 (-0.6)
this morning: 187.6 (+5) (tom coming any day now)

Now, I KNOW this is 100% water weight and it will all fall off next week, plus a pound or two. If I just looked at my daily numbers, I would be so discouraged right now. It looks like I have gained a pound when I know the reality is that I have lost 6+ pounds this month (and I have the loose pants to prove it).

So, don't drive yourself crazy! Our bodies can be real jerks with hormonal fluctuations, salt intake, water intake, yadda yadda... just be good to yourself, stay on plan, and be healthy! You will get the results in the end.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #5  
New start 24/10/10

Thanks Pacificbee, I love your example month. Thanks for your input
Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I used to weigh daily, but it began to drive me crazy seeing my weight go up and down like that really discouraged me, and I have come to realize that weighing myself daily just does not work for ME. So I just stick to weighing myself weekly and this being my 5,000th time trying to lose weight it seems to be working.
NubiaxRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #7  
I am Anti-Fat

S/C/G: 364/361/170

Height: 5' 7"

I do not weigh everyday. Too much anxiety there. I started again with my doc, and I will go back to him in 3 weeks for a weigh in. Then I will weigh every 2 weeks. I don't look at weighing as the be all end all. I go by how my clothes are fitting. Remember, muscle mass is heavier than fat, and this might discourage you also.

Good luck.
fawnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #8  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Height: 5' 7"

I do not weigh daily. I did a couple of times and it was very frustrating. I weigh myself first thing Monday mornings.

I also do not look at my weigh-ins as being the most important part of weight loss (I know that sounds strange). There are times when I do not lose weight for weeks on end, but I can see and feel the change in my body. I just focus on eating a healthy diet and exercise every single day. It also helps to set up long-term and short-term goals.

Don't get discouraged by the "scale."
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 244.4/195/159

Height: 5"6.5'

I just can't weight every day. I know it is a number on a scale, but if it is a bad number it affects my entire day! I weigh every Tuesday morning and that is that. Sometimes I am tempted to step on the scale on other days, but I don't because to me it isn't worth it.
luvnmycstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 305 / ticker / 175

Height: 5' 10"

I'm a weekly weigh in person. I became depressed and obsessive when I weighed in every day and saw the numbers fluctuate so much. I knew, deep down, that I shouldn't gauge my progress on that, but I couldn't help how it seemed to make me feel every day, despite what I knew about weight loss.

When I switched to weekly weigh ins, it was easier to get a more accurate feel for my progress. Plus, it gave me a reason to anticipate something.. to work towards something.. to push myself towards a goal. Each looming weigh in day gave me a reason to get up and work hard so that the number on the scale would be a good one. I didn't get that when I weighed in daily.

There are times when my weekly weigh ins seem to show less progress than I know I have made, so I will sneak an in between weigh in here and there to verify that I'm heading in the right direction (like when I know that TOM is on the way, or have had a particularly bad sodium day or something), but I only record my official weigh ins once a week.
sabrinalecompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #11  
New start 24/10/10

Thanks so much for the replys.

Toonsies: I totally understand what you mean, the hardest part of the journey is keeping it up regardless of what the scale says.
Sabrina: I have a feeling I will be the same sometimes to reassure myself some weeks.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #12  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Once a month AT THE MOST. It was important to me when starting out to establish good eating and exercise habits, regardless of what the scale reported. I was sticking to my plan and didn't want to get discouraged with how small the losses were going to be compared to my effort!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #13  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

When I was actively LOSING weight, the daily fluctuations of the fickle scale were crazy-making!! it drove me absolutely crazy, so I switched to weekly. Monday morning, and i'd do it 3 times in a short period, and if I had 2 the same that was the winner LOL

Now that I'm moving into the maintenace phase, I do find that daily weighing is very helpful. Right after a poop & a shower (LOL omg i'm dying laughing) I weigh in, and if I have 3 days in a row with a gain, then I cut back. I feel it's a great way to stay "on top" of it you know??? I only wish I'd thought to do it 20 years ago duh!!! the whole "it's easier to correct 5 pounds than 150" live and learn!

Last edited by Trazey34; 02-25-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #14  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
When I was actively LOSING weight, the daily fluctuations of the fickle scale were crazy-making!! it drove me crazy, so I switched to weekly. Monday morning, and i'd do it 3 times in a short period, and if I had 2 the same that was the winner LOL

Now that I'm moving into the maintenace phase, I do find that daily weighing is very help. Right after a poop & a shower (LOL omg i'm dying laughing) I weigh in, and if I have 3 days in a row with a gain, then I cut back. I feel it's a great way to stay "on top" of it you know??? I only wish I'd thought to do it 20 years ago duh!!! the whole "it's easier to correct 5 pounds than 150" live and learn!
Are you my twin?? With the exception of our starting weight, we are pretty much the same! Daily weighing used to drive me crazy too when I was losing and so I weighed once a week for my sanity.

Maintenance needs much more discipline though so I have switched over to daily weighing. A blip does not scare me any more....its when it is consistently up that I get concerned and cut back.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #15  
New start 24/10/10

Trazey: that's a good point, I can't be sure but i'm pretty certain weighing daily when I reach goal may be much better for me.

Last edited by supergir111; 02-25-2011 at 03:46 PM.