Dear impatient, self-loathing, self-pitying prick

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hello there!

That's right, you got on the scale again this morning. And you're still in the 320's.

After upping exercise, watching your 1900 daily calories like a hawk, and drinking only water (TWO gallons of it) a day, you're only down 5 lbs since December 2nd.

"Almost three months for 5 lbs, what a joke!" Is what you're thinking, right? "I walked/ran two miles today, plus lifted weights!"

I know you're thinking about trying something insane. You can eat only, say, 1000 calories a day, and kill yourself with cardio. That would make you lose fast, right? Or how about taking a shot at those 'awesome' crash diets that you've seen advertised everywhere? Why not, since all weight loss methods must be the same, right??

Repeat this after me: WRONG.

Did you get it? Let's try it again, to make sure it sinks in: WRRRRONG.

Seriously, you're close to your 50-lb milestone, and those awesome boots are sitting in a box on your floor, waiting for you. So buck up, and get back to counting those calories, and quit feeling sorry for yourself. You're down over 45 pounds! Forty-five!

You've still got the rest of your life ahead of you, this isn't a race. So quit acting like you have to lose it all in five minutes. It took you 21 years to decide to do something about it, didn't it?

Now calm down and go run for a while.

Love,
    Me (the part of you that's still sane)
  • Bravo!
  • Snickering as I read your letter, but great sentiments.
  • Patience truly is a virtue, something the rational part of my mind does get
  • Love this.
  • This is fabulous...and totally true.

Have you thought about Calorie Cycling? Or having 1 high calorie day. That might be the jump your metabolism needs.
  • Nice indeed! Good idea about the boots!
  • Exactly how i feel so so often.
  • Thank you so much! I needed to read that today! And, you are on the right track with that type of attitude. You WILL reach your goals!
  • I commend your inspiration - but er assume that at least one of the words in your title mean something different in American than in British :blush:!!!!!

Well done on the 45!
  • Quote: I commend your inspiration - but er assume that at least one of the words in your title mean something different in American than in British :blush:!!!!!

Well done on the 45!
    LOL!!
  • It does mean something slightly different in American. It's more of an insult than a body part here. LOL!
  • Good for you -- recognizing that the majority of the issue is all mental! Congrats on the 45lb and congrats on making good choices and developing patience!
  • Thank you for the inspiration!
  • Thank you SOOO much...honestly!