Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Informal "normal" poll

Ok, I'm there!! I'm so there! I've been toying with these numbers a long time now and thought I'd just know when I got there, but apparently I don't. I can't decide what to do.

When I started this, I was 5'3.5" and claiming 5'4". That makes 145 my "normal" number, and actually since I was really a half inch shorter than that, it should have been a lower number, but we won't go there. Since losing this weight, I have grown an inch!! I've read that weight can compress the spine, so when we ditch the pounds, sometimes we grow. So now I am 5'4.5". I changed my height for my side info. and for my ticker, but I did not change all my little mini goals.

So now, here's my ridiculous "who-cares" question. One more pound is going to slip me into a normal BMI range if I go with the 1/2 inch of height I have. But don't most people just round down their height?

So which do I celebrate? 145 or 147? 'Cause there's gonna be a thread!! There's gonna be a big ol' thread!!

Last edited by Eliana; 02-11-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am looking for that big ol' thread! I think that I would celebrate at 147 but only if you really feel it then. Will you be saying to yourself, "I am celebrating at 147 but I am not really at goal until I get to 145"?

You are an amazing woman, my friend!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I am looking for that big ol' thread! I think that I would celebrate at 147 but only if you really feel it then. Will you be saying to yourself, "I am celebrating at 147 but I am not really at goal until I get to 145"?

You are an amazing woman, my friend!
So sweet! Thank you, thank you!

And yes, that's why I'm asking all of you. My head is not going to be content with 147.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I think you should round UP your height or at the very least keep the .5. I am basing this on the fact that we are subject to gravity during the day and have usually been under its influence for a few hours before we get into the dr. office (or wherever you get measured).

And BTW, congrats!! I guess you could update your mini-goals section for reaching 149!!! Yay!!! You have worked really hard.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #5  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I would still go for the 145. Like you said, you will not be content with yourself if you call it at 147.
I haven't had my height measured in a LONG time so don't know if I've grown too, but I've just kept the same mini goal and goal numbers all the way down. It's like now, I bought some new scales before xmas but I still weigh on my old ones once a week and in my head that is the true weight, as the new scale shows me about half a pound lighter and in my head if I rely on that one I am giving myself an extra half pound loss
You will just KNOW when you are there. I set my initial goal at 145 but I KNEW that I wouldn't feel done til I got to 137....
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #6  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'd go with the 145 because of the fact that you don't feel you will be content in your own mind with the 147. And now you have me worried that I will grow! I don't wanna grow, I like my shortiness.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #7  
A chick on a mission!

S/C/G: 229/ticker/145

Height: 5'4.5

Congratulations! Your posts and 'A year from now post' have been my rock! Thank you!
Ladybird1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #8  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Ok, I'm there!! I'm so there! I've been toying with these numbers a long time now and thought I'd just know when I got there, but apparently I don't. I can't decide what to do.

When I started this, I was 5'3.5" and claiming 5'4". That makes 145 my "normal" number, and actually since I was really a half inch shorter than that, it should have been a lower number, but we won't go there. Since losing this weight, I have grown an inch!! I've read that weight can compress the spine, so when we ditch the pounds, sometimes we grow. So now I am 5'4.5". I changed my height for my side info. and for my ticker, but I did not change all my little mini goals.

So now, here's my ridiculous "who-cares" question. One more pound is going to slip me into a normal BMI range if I go with the 1/2 inch of height I have. But don't most people just round down their height?

So which do I celebrate? 145 or 147? 'Cause there's gonna be a thread!! There's gonna be a big ol' thread!!
If you can't find the thread then I would go ahead and create a new one and we will celebrate right along with you! I think what you mean about "growing" is that the weight weighs down our spine and we usually have such bad posture that we are shorter while we are heavier. I used to be almost 5"8" when I was at my normal weight. 30 lbs ago, I was practically the hunchback of N.D.

I've never heard about rounding down your height. Usually, I have been pretty proud to have the height I had. I would like to actually get down to 135 lbs which I used to weigh while I was in high school but with what we know now about exercising and chiseling our bodies I might not need to do that and still get results with exercising. Remember, lower weights are great but they also take less calories to maintain. (not to rain on your wonderful parade here)

Again, on your acheivement!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-11-2011 at 11:41 AM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #9  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Not sure, I sometimes round up and sometimes round down. Because you want to celebrate the milestone, I'd round down (IF) you feel like you be apprehensive, if you feel comfy rouding up then go for it!

twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I would go with 145, only cause I like nice, "round" numbers. But for you, it kinda seems like you've already decided that 145 is going to be more meaningful for you anyways.

*waits for thread*
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

How come you can't make two threads? There's no constitutional or legal limit, right?

Sounds to me like you wanna go for 145.

I just want you happy. Two pounds either way, meh, as far as I'm concerned. It's your party, babe. Which moment on the scale would be more thrilling & more celebratory for you?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

What Saef and the girls said - which one is going to do it for YOU? It sounds like that number is 145
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #13  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

The last part of your post made me laugh out loud.

I agree with the others, do what will make you happy, but it sounds like 145 is what you have in mind as your goal - plus it's a nice, round number!

I haven't measured my height since I started losing weight, but I did round up to 5'7 even though I am about a 1/4 inch shorter than that. My goal weight is set to 159 right now so I can eke into the healthy BMI range, but I might go down to 155 to give myself a little extra healthy.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #14  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

I have been reading your posts since I joined this forum (in June last year) and based on my little knowledge of you, I know that deep down you want that 145. So wait until you get there.....

If you make that thread at 147, my guess is you are going to feel like a fraud. So wait....you will get there very shortly.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #15  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Ah **** girl- why don't ya CELEBRATE em BOTH! Or stop right betwix the 2 & call er GOOD!

By the way, have you adorned your empty shelves yet??? just being a curious george!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote