Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #16  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2Ms View Post
That is my son as well. Though he is only 4, he already has a very athletic build and great weight for his height/age. Since he was born he has been long and skinny. He was something like in the 95% for length and 50% for weight. My daughter, on the other hand, was in the 25% for length and 75% for weight. She was born a beautiful, round ball with these wonderful (well, wonderful on an infant) chunky thighs and squishy cheeks. So, I know that genetically speaking she may already have some disadvantages. So, I know that I adds to the importance that I make the environmental factors as favorable for her to succeed as possible.
Both of my children were big babies. MY son was 10 pounds at birth, and maintained his own curve for years. My daughter was the same way.

They were cheerfully chubby as toddlers.

Once they turned 4 or 5 we involved them in sports. Also lots of outdoor play time.

Now at age 14, my son is 5'6" 116 pounds
Daughter is 5'7" 120 pounds.

Both slender and fit. Both very athletic.

We always ate healthy, all three meals and their snacks. My weigh gain was due to MY poor snack choices... I was very bad to myself, but I hope I helped them to eat better and make better choices. I did not have the support at home growing up, what came to learning to ear properly.

As babies and toddlers; They are supposed to be cheerfully chubby (well if your two year old dresses 4 sizes up...then to worry...)

You are here and you are worried; you are doing the right thing and being a responsible parent
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #17  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 300/ see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I wanna start off by saying my 2nd child was a HUGE baby 20 pounds at 4 months and 30 pounds at 12 months he is now a skinny mini he will be 8 and is 60 pounds and 4 feet tall. My oldest was 115 pounds at 10 years old and 4 foot 10 inches he was heading the same way i was but now within the 4 months of changing the food I buy, no more juice only crystal lite, and I limit them on treats such as ice cream, cupcakes, etc. he is now 11 years old 105 pounds and 4 foot 11 inches he has thinned down because I changed the food in the house and I have set a good example for my kids. My 3 year old is 30 pounds at 3 she is not big either and as long as I keep buying the right things and setting a good example they will not have a food issue. As far as your little girl never seeming full limit how much food she can have and tell her no if she wants more and already has had enough. My rule in my house is you can not have seconds on snacks, breakfest, or lunch, seconds are only allowed at dinner this way they do not over eat.
Ky30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I don't have any kids, so I can't speak from that angle.

I can say that sports will be a HUGE thing for your daughter. Get her involved in soccer, or softball, or basketball, karate, something that will keep her active and get her to enjoy physical activity. Playing soccer when I was younger kept me in shape, and gave me a lot of self confidence. I went through a very chubby stage, which was hard, but being able to run as fast as the other kids and be just as strong helped. (Why I was chubby was somewhat of a mystery, very active kid, ate right, etc. Until, that is, I grew 6 inches in the course of a summer. Very thankful mom listened to the MD and didn't freak out about my chubby stage, I was so gangly and awkward after that growth spurt I can't imagine what would have happened without a bit of extra weight)

Teach her to love her body for what it does- not what it looks like. Love her legs because they can run or figure skate, her abs because they keep her balanced in karate, her arms because she can lift heavy things even though she's a girl. I had my own insecurities like any other teenage girl, but never as bad as my nonathletic friends. As someone who works with teenagers now, I can say there is a noticeable difference between the girls I see who participate in sports and those who don't- both in confidence and behavior.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 260/257/160

Height: 5'6"

My biggest motivator to eat healthy is my younger son. He is 8 and weighs 110. He is also a head taller than all his classmates and has always been on this growth curve of being above the 100% from birth til now. He plays football, baseball, basketball but he is just a big kid. My older son is 11 and weighs 104 and is less active but super skinny. I guess it is a metabolism/genetics difference but I worry so much about the younger one. That being said my husband was a chunky kid but is very slim now. He grew tall and thinned out which we are hoping will happen to my youngest.

It is because of him I am focusing on having lots and lots of healthy snacks. That being said I don't want to make "junk" food taboo because that just makes you want it more. We have frozen yogurt now at home instead of real ice cream, rice cakes, nuts but in their lunches I let them have a snack cake or something like that. I figure it is all about good balance and I am trying to work on that. I never want him to struggle like I did.
brenbray06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #20  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

My 2 year old is really tall (89th percentile) and skinny (25th percentile) but I still worry about the same thing. Something I've tried really hard to do is not to make food an issue. If he's hungry, he can eat. If he's not hungry, he doesn't have to eat. I NEVER make him finish what's on his plate if he's not hungry. He also doesn't get to eat mindlessly in front of the tv, but is allowed to eat a snack while he's playing with his toys. I encourage him to try new things (he must take one bite of whatever I make) and offer him healthy snacks and meals for the most part. I also don't deny him the occasional treat.

I think my biggest downfall was creating an issue around food within myself instead of just enjoying it for what it was. When it's an issue I can't just take it or leave it based on hunger, it becomes a big to-do. I want my kids to enjoy food and eating and celebrating and family and culture (and the food that all of it entails) and not see food as something scary or bad (or even certain foods as scary or bad.) Moderation, I guess that's what I'm trying to instill in my kids.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote