My mother in law posted pictures on FB from 80 lbs ago!

• It burns me up! First let me say that about a year and a half ago she had wls and has lost 140 lbs. Friday night we all went out together for my brother in law's bday and there were lots of cute pics of all of us that a few of us posted. I got lots of compliments as I hadnt seen a lot of the people that showed up in months. I was feeling great!

So Fast Forward to Sunday evening. I had that same brother in law's fam over for dinner and we were just dancing it up when my phone goes off with a Facebook update. I check it and its randomly 6 pictures from Christmas 2009 when I weighed over 300lbs. 3 of the 6 I was in and everyone that was looking at them here was like... omg, that doesnt even look like you. You've done such a great job...great.

But WHY! Why add those pictures now? Why not add pictures from Christmas 2010?! It was just so random and I wanted to say something crappy but I was just like oh well...I guess. Maybe Im being too sensitive...
  • I would be furious!

Untag (detag?) but revel in the compliments That's an amazing feat!
  • Oh, I would be soooo mad!! Who knows, she may have had good intentions (show how far you've come) but still... I would untag yourself in them.

Or, find some pictures of her 140 lbs ago and post those
  • I would ask her why she posted such OLD pics- Not mentioning anything about how you looked in them or anything, but just see what she was thinking. Who knows what she had in mind, but maybe there was another reason. If she says not, though, then you pretty much KNOW it was to get under your skin. I'd be cranky either way, I know, but I'm the type who will see what's behind something or ask, "What are you getting at" of "what did you do that for" and see what the response is...
  • Ohhh yikes I've dealt with this before. I wouldn't take it personally, my guess is that she wasn't even thinking about YOU when she posted them. People are vain when it comes to Facebook (guilty as charged), and she probably just posted them because she looked good in them, or just wasn't thinking about you.

Untag. Breathe. You have done GREAT WORK and you should be proud. Congratulations!
  • I think I would untag myself if it bothers you. Either way I would make sure there are recent pictures posted and dated and I would tag her in those. Maybe some Christmas 2010 or of the birthday celebration. My sister was considerate enough to ask me if she could post pics of me from Christmas. I only said to her don't post any of me that you wouldn't post of yourself. None have been posted and it was a couple of weeks ago when she asked.

No matter what happens with the pics you can celebrate your continued success and don't let the past get you down.
  • Wow...I'm sorry but my first reaction when you said she had WLS and lost 140 pounds was "She's jealous everyone was complimenting you on your weight loss, so she wanted to show that you haven't lost as much as her", but you know her better than I do. I agree with mdchick...I'd find some pics of her from 140 pounds go and say something like..."Saw you were posting old pictures and I found some you might enjoy"...lol
  • Yeah I DEFINITELY untagged myself and Im just not sure if Im being overly sensitive but she is absolutely the type of person to be petty about this sort of thing. She hit her low weight a few months ago and she has even gained a little. So I can see both sides. She might be uncomfortable or jealous of my success or I might just be a crazy person. Or both! Lol.
  • I have my FB account set so nobody can tag me in photos, there is a way to do it. Do it now. I'm sorry that happened, you'd like to think it was unintentional, but really?
  • Was your mother in law in any of the 2009 pics posted? If so, maybe she is fishing for compliments herself since you got so many when you were all out together. Maybe that was her way of reminding everyone that she also lost a lot of weight. If she wasn't in the pictures then I have no idea other than just to be petty. I don't think you're being overly sensitive and she would probably feel the same way if the tables were turned. What was your husband's reaction and rationalization for why she would have posted them?

Regardless of her reason you have accomplished so much and I'm sure you'll use this as another motivator to keep going.
  • If she did it with good intentions, okay, but, she should have asked. If not, well then, what goes around, comes around. My question is why do mother in laws have to be such witches!
  • Change your profile pic to a full body shot of you now and reply to the posts on all those pics with something like...wow look at me now what a difference a year makes. That way you will show that you didn't take it personally, (even if you did). AND it will change the focus of the post if squashing any ill intent on her part. You should be excited because you have accomplished a lot in a year.