Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Default Just the motivation I need

So, I swore up and down that I was NOT going to weigh myself daily. I was going to do my thing, and hop on the scale once a week or maybe even once every 2 weeks. I got a new scale the other night, got on it, and voila, there's my starting weight.

The last couple of days I have worked hard to stay in the proper caloric range, but also to stay in the right ranges for protein, fat and carbs too (am insulin resistant, so gotta watch those carbs). I have also taken up walking on my Wii (much too cold to do it outside right now) doing 2-3 miles a day.

So, impulsively I hopped on the scale today, knowing there'd be no change, but doing it anyway. Imagine my shock to find it down 1.6lbs.

That's totally the kind of motivation I need to keep me focussed and geared in the right direction
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Congrats!!! That's great! I am a daily weigher, it really keeps me on plan. I actually weigh more than once a day, usually - once at morning and once at night, and sometimes in the middle....whenever I feel like it, I guess! I can see how it would make some people crazy, but I feel good about it, and it works for me!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/165/129

Height: 5'3"

I, too, weigh every day and sometimes twice a day. In the very beginning, I told myself I wouldn't do that - but it's nearly impossible for me to NOT do it. However, I have one set day of the week that I do my "weigh-in" for myself when it "counts". The rest of the days it's more or less to keep me focused and motivated. If it's down - I feel proud, if it's the same, it motivates me to work harder!
Kimberly2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #4  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Congrats!

I'm a daily weigher too. For one thing, if I don't do it every day then it is too easy for the habit to slip and that leads to other poor habit changes. For another thing, if I see it daily then I don't catch my weight on a bad day for a weekly weigh in and discourage myself.

If you are insulin resistant you should really look into the principals behind the IR diet. When I am at my best I am calorie counting AND doing the IR diet. It really helps me with the whole carb issue and I lose weight much better with it's 'rules' in place.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Here's why I don't think daily weighing would work for me. I know myself, and if I weighed daily, and the scale didn't change, I would see that as a good excuse to have a binge day....if I weigh myself only every week or 2, then the days I am not on the scale, I can assume it's moving downward every so slightly, and if I happen to have a bad weigh-in then it's only once in a week (or 2 weeks or whatever).

Not only that, but the surprise at seeing the scale number (not always a good surprise I'm sure) when it comes up is something to look forward to, and work towards for me.

We each have to do what works for us, I love seeing how people do things differently, and their reasons and results. I wanted to make sure I said, I am by NO way down on weighing yourself daily, I just know it's not a good option for ME! LOL

Thanks for the support! Now I can't wait to have a ticker!!!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #6  
Liz

S/C/G: 255.5/249.5/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Yeah, I mean it can be a great motivator, but I'm on medical orders to be drinking 124 oz of water a day, and I tend to forget until 7 or 8 at night, then I have 3 hours to drink all of it. So if I'm not done "getting rid of it" by the time I weigh myself in the morning, I tend to get really discouraged.
Like a week and a half ago, I did AWESOME that day, and when I stepped on the scale the next morning, the numbers went UP. It sent me into tears.

So I'm only going to weigh myself a couple times a month, because otherwise it will drive me nuts.

But you should do what works for you and keeps you on your plan, as should everyone else!

I too cannot wait for my ticker
howellbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

I weigh all day. Whenever I feel the kitchen staring at me and the craving overwhelming I hop on and the number brings me right back to reality.

A little pressure is never a bad thing.
The Last Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #8  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

WTG!!!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #9  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Congrats.

I weigh daily as well. seeing the normal fluctuations has made me numb to them. :P
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote