more of the "lets pick something healthy" game

• http://atasca.com/menus/dinner.pdf

Tonight I'm going to this place for dinner.

I've been to this restaurant before. The food is AMAZING. Unfortunately, I'm sure the calories are outrageous. I have never had anything here that was not awesome so it is a splurge worth taking although I'd like to pick something relatively healthier.

Of course, I could go with the old standby of the Salmon, but kind of want to mix it up. I'm thinking of going with the "Febras de Porco" (it seems relatively straight forward and doesn't contain any cheese or high fat linguica).

Any other suggestions?
  • I can barely read the menu. it's very light and small.

but the beans and rice sound good.
  • The lulas a alho sounds awesome as well, and fairly light. It all sounds so good!

That marinated pork would be a great choice too, it just depends on what sounds good to you when you go.
  • Wow there is so much there that I would gladly eat! Almost everything from the fish or the chicken entree section looks great. If it was me ordering, I would probably get the broiled jumbo shrimp (camarao atasco) and make sure the tomato sauce is only tomato and not cream based but not eat the potatoes, and have a green salad on the side.

tell us how it goes!
  • Looks like some fancy schmancy eats, yet prices are good!
    I'd probably get the dopa do dia (soup- if its a good one & not a creamy cream one) & then a salad de feijao (bean salad) & gambas Grelhadas (grilled shrimp) would be my choice & I'd give my cornbread away being I ain't a fan! Plenty of protein for under $20! or the calinha a verde sounds good too.

I say whatever you have a hankering for Matt (30)
  • I'd probably go for the fish of the day--
  • YUMMM that looks like a really nice menu - and lots of choices that seem fairly decent - as far as restaurant choices go! I would probably go for the jumbo shrimp one with the tomato sauce, or the fresh fish one with tomato as well and broccoli (sorry, I already closed the menu or would attempt to spell the names!!). Have fun!
  • No need to spell the names. I can figure it out .

I don't know how to say anything on the Atasca menu, so when I was there the last time I just pointed at what I wanted!

I think it is a toss up between that Pork selection or one of the chicken dishes.
  • Yum!!!

I'm no help. Seems like there's a lot of good choices. I hope you enjoy whatever you decide
  • wow, this place sounds amazing!

i can't resist grilled sardines. i'd probably get that (it's an appetizer) with a salad or the soup of the day if it sounds yummy and not cream heavy. or i'd see if i can get a side of the broccoli raab (which comes with the broiled shrimp, which also looks like a good choice)- sometimes higher end restaurants don't do a la carte side dishes because they plan everything to the menu, but you could ask. (i love broccoli raab!). i often choose entrees based on sides- so that grilled fish of the day with kale and hazelnut potatoes- i'll bet those potatoes are worth a splurge!

wow, octopus salad. yum. i wouldn't worry TOO much about the linguica- especially in a seafood dish, it is often used more for seasoning, so it might be a small amount that packs a lot of flavor.

but i don't think you could go wrong with the pork. puerca is my favorite meat.

i just got back from a (delicious) trip to granada, spain. now i'm inspired to go to portugal, or at least boston!

please report back! i will be thinking of you while i eat my (rather delicious, but hardly refined) stew of collards and beans.

i love this game!!!!
  • So, Matt, what did you ultimately enjoy?

(By the way, your amazing weight loss just blows me away! Congratulations! With such a major accomplishment under your belt (pardon the pun), I bet very little slows you down anymore when you pick a goal. And how cool is it that you still post here!)
  • wow! what a great menu, so many yummy Portuguese dishes! I'd probably get the Caldierada de Piexe (sounds a like the best parts of a cioppino to me) or the Galinha a Verde - love the veggies, though I'm not sure what vinho verde is... Green wine??

I'm also curious about what you picked in the end...