Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #16  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I'm trying to imagine how someone reconciles being unable to walk due to a reversible and controllable health condition with calling herself healthy.

This is no different from the other end of the spectrum--people with eating disorders that leave them near death from low body weight instead of high--yet somehow it's apparently okay for newspapers to write point-and-stare articles about her and for people to pay money to watch her eat.

Can you imagine the moral indignation there would be if a woman suffering from anorexia were treated in a similar fashion by the press? I doubt that an anorexic's daily calorie intake would get the same lurid sidebar coverage in an article. A husband who willingly supported his wife's endeavor to reach an equally unhealthy and extreme low weight would be treated as a criminal. And while I don't know if there are skinny-person fetishists out there (there probably are), a web site catering to them would not be fodder for a newspaper article.

It's so strange to me that in society's view, people at one end of the eating disorder spectrum suffer from life-threatening illness while those at the other end are weak-willed and comical. This woman has a dangerous eating disorder and it's a terrible shame for her and her family.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #17  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
horrifying. I guess instead of putting a gun to her head she's going to commit suicide this way instead
Thats the impression her story gives me. Nobody who loves themselves eats literally to death, to this excess. She admits her divorce and 'failures' at weight loss spurred the desire to just eat and eat to 'be happy'. As an emotional eater to a lesser degree, I can honestly say there is nothing normal or healthy about hating yourself so much that you eat to the point of immobility.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #18  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

this woman has some mental problems and she is an incredibly selfish a;sldkfjad for doing this to her children, shame on her and God bless those children!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote