Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #1  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Default I just feel like a BLOB

I have been losing weight and I know I'm on a downwards trajectory but some days I feel like I have gained all my weight back! I don't know how to describe it. I'm uncomfortable and my pants feel tight and my bra feels like it's digging into my back. I don't know what it is!! If I did overdo today it was really minor. I started drinking diet soda again - wonder if that is it? It's not a "cycle" thing - I had a hysto years ago.

It's really getting me down. I wish I could just exercise it away but my back is in bad shape and the recumbent bike is my limit (which s&cks).

Any advice welcome.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5

I feel the same way. You adjust and this becomes your new "fat"

go pick up 20 pounds of potatoes or something to remind you how far you've come.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #3  
gym bunny

S/C/G: 210/168/140

Height: 5ft 6

I feel like this too. The more weight I lose, the more marshmellowy I feel. After I eat I have a sudden panic that I will gain 35 pounds overnight. I dont feel thinner, but the scale says I am. My pants and shirts fit the same, and so does my face.
nickyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #4  
DebuNeko

S/C/G: 380/215/150

Height: 5' 4"

Default you are not a blob!

Let's start with the fact that you are not an object (a "blob"). You are a human being. You are not equivalent to your body or perceptions of your body. Try not to judge yourself as the most negative and cruel people in society do or objectify yourself. Everyone deserves better than that. When you feel this sort of negative self-talk, you undermine your value as a person as well as your capacity to improve. The less you think of yourself, the less capable you'll feel.

My feeling is that you are hyper-aware of your body at times when you are feeling self-critical. If your pants feel tight or your bra is digging into your back, you may be having a day when you skin is more sensitive (because the sensitivity of our tactile senses does vary from day-to-day), you may be retaining water, or they may have always been that way but you didn't notice because you weren't judging yourself.

A lot of people feel that beating themselves up or hating on themselves will motivate them to lose weight and that not doing so means they have to muster some sort of fake self-love, but it doesn't have to be like that. What you need to build is a voice as an adult in your own mind. An adult voice will not beat you up nor fill you with despair but rather evaluate reality as it truly is. You can build the rational adult in yourself by focusing on your behaviors and rating them objectively. Am I doing what is necessary and reasonable to lead toward my objective? If not, what should I be doing? If so, then I need to be patient. Focus on the actions you take as your goal, not on your weight or body. You can control your actions, but you can't control how your body changes.

Diet sodas (unless they are full of sodium and causing you to retain water) are unlikely to be having a meaningful impact on your weight or body. Even if they are, this will pass. An adult evaluation of your drinking of diet sodas would reveal that it is okay to have them.

Changing your thinking like this is by no means easy, but it really will help you through the process if you stop giving yourself such negative messages and build your confidence through rational evaluation of your actions. My best regards to you.

Last edited by debuneko; 01-25-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo
debuneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #5  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I looked in the mirror this morning and a butchered version of the old Blue Oyster Cult "Godzilla" song ran through my head. Replace "Godzilla" with "Blobzilla". It's no consolation, but I understand how you feel, and it's even worse after a regain.

You know, I'm going to admit to playing with the extra flab. Flop the boobs around, squish the gut, rearrange it, make the belly button talk.

That was really off-topic, and probably points to the need for therapy. I'll leave your thread now...
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #6  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

It's ok AZ...you made me laugh!

I feel that way if I have consumed too much sodium. I feel like a puffer fish or a bloated toad. Drink lots of water and in a couple days, you'll feel better. I do anyway.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #7  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

@Debuneko - you are so right about my being hyper-aware when I'm in a negative place. How did you know that?

@ AZ - you're so crazy! I wish I had a sense of humor about my body like you do! If I "flopped" mine I'm afraid one of them might flop back at my face and break my nose! How would one explain that in the Emergency Room?
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #8  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I have those days too. Where I feel like all those 40 pounds are suddenly back. But I also have what I call fat days. Where I look in the mirror, and just don't like what I see, and see all my flaws. That is when I just tell myself, you can only look and make sure you look okay, because no matter what you do with clothes, hair or makeup you aren't going to like what you see, its just one of those days.
I also feel that way when I have been acting like a blob. Sitting around, eating junk and not eating healthy. Which has been pretty much this WHOLE MONTH.
But I do understand...and I think its pretty normal.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #9  
DebuNeko

S/C/G: 380/215/150

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKoo View Post
@Debuneko - you are so right about my being hyper-aware when I'm in a negative place. How did you know that?
Emotionally speaking, there are few places that an overweight person has been that I haven't been myself. ;-)
debuneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 259/253/140

Height: 5' 9"

Think we have all felt that way. I also think that the winter months, after the holidays is a big factor. I have been feeling very down myself. Can't seem to get any progress in ANY area of life and being that we are overweight, we tend to be hyper sensitive and the reason that everything is going wrong, of course is because I am fat......Now, I know that isn't correct, but like debuneko said it is emotional.
lisanovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/254/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKoo View Post
@ AZ - you're so crazy! I wish I had a sense of humor about my body like you do! If I "flopped" mine I'm afraid one of them might flop back at my face and break my nose! How would one explain that in the Emergency Room?
Tell them you fell on your face? lol I once was doing something around the house and had mine flop up (jumping to get to the top shelf maybe?) and smack me right in the face. I was so glad no one was around to see that!

I totally get the blob thing, I'm sure everyone has those days I know I do.
Ahzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #12  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

Great post Debuneko

I have days where I can't understand why the scale is going down because I feel huger than ever.
I have consecutive days where I feel like I am getting bigger every day.
I just try to remember where I have come from and I keep a pair of trousers that have been fitting me better every day to give me some perspective.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #13  
*~ZUMBA~*

S/C/G: 324/197/150

Height: 5'5"

supergir111~your post gave me an idea, when I start to feel like a "blob", I will try on the biggest pants in my closet that I have saved since 2008. And hopefully, I will feel better instantly.

Side note: the biggest pants in my closet are a pair of jeans that I bought from Walmart....I had lost about 15 pounds when I bought them and I remember having to "roll" my stomach into them to get them to zip. (Mainly typing this for myself, so I can work through the feelings I am having about myself these days. Self-Therapy, is what I call it.)
dewdrop1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #14  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Dewdrop, you are a hero and don't you forget it. I think your idea is a good one...feeling blobbish myself and my big, old jeans might prove a real comfort right about now.

MissKoo, to you! Stay positive!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

I feel exactly the same and posted this week about diet soda too. My pants feel tight. I pinch the rolls on my stomach and under my arms at night and they don't seem smaller. I agree with whoever said that we adjust and this becomes our new fat. Depressing.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote