Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #1  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Default Gluten Intolerance (finding out the hard way!)

I"m less than thrilled to have found out the hard way I seem to have a gluten intolerance.

I had cut out gluten to see if it helped my fibro. Then I was low on protein (i'm vegan, was veggie) so I added it back in in the form of seitan which is pretty much straight gluten flour seasoned and made into dough and cooked.

Anyhow, I wasn't even watching for signs of gluten intolerance. But today I was like "why do I feel like **** every night around 7-8?"

things that happen:

1.) I feel depressed
2.) I feel severe soul crushing fatigue
3.) My fibro pain flares to the point of putting me in bed with my heating blanket
4.) I experience extreme bloated, intestinal distress, and edema!!!!!!

I eat gluten pretty much every day between 4-6. Yesterday I had LESS gluten. I had some falafell, but that was all, nothing compared to the seitan (made from .5 cup of PURE GLUTEN!) that I had today, and this morning I felt so good mood wise, then I ate at 5ish or so and then by 7-8 I was in full on misery mode again!

This last week I have been SO bloated. my bf said I seemed depressed. I have been waking up every day with a puffy face and I've lost whatever slight figure I was starting to regain. I am a bloated PUFFY MESS! Sometimes my fingers hurt they are so swollen and puffy.

I had my legs crossed earlier, my ankle was resting on my other shin. When I moved my ankle I had a DISTURBINGLY DEEP indent in my shin. SHINS ARE BONE! ha. it was ridiculous how deep it was! My socks are leaving indents, they are NOT tight! The indents are SO deep!

My stomach has been hating me, if you can imagine any unfortunate state for your stomach to be in, that's probably what mine is doing.

My muscles hurt my joints hurt.

AUGH!

I AM SO PUFFY!

I've gained 2 lbs overnight.

I"m surprised it's not more. it FEELS like more.

Some is water, some is air, but I am so gross and bloated. I am in complete and total misery!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also have fibro, and also have a problem with wheat. I don't know if it's gluten specifically (I tested negative for celiac disease), but I also have more flares and feel crappier the more I eat carbs in general, and wheat specifically. Even a relatively small amount of wheat triggers a skin breakout. I also react (to a leser degree) to high-carb eating (and most especiallyh sugar).

Eating one serving of wheat has about the same effect as eating four or five servings of starchy or sugary foods.

The longer I avoid trigger foods, the worse the reaction if I do eat them (on the bright side, at least it's getting less and less tempting to eat what I shouldn't).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #3  

I have all sorts of negative responses to certain carbs. (Edema,muscle pain, fatigue, joint pain, swelling,. But unlike Kaplods, the foods I crave are the very ones I shouldn't have. But I am working on it. Pain is a pretty good deterrent, fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it.
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunti View Post
I have all sorts of negative responses to certain carbs. (Edema,muscle pain, fatigue, joint pain, swelling,. But unlike Kaplods, the foods I crave are the very ones I shouldn't have. But I am working on it. Pain is a pretty good deterrent, fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it.

I didn't say that I didn't crave the foods I shouldn't have (far, far from it). It's just getting less tempting over time - not that it isn't tempting).

I was just saying exactly what you're saying "pain is a pretty good deterrent," unfortunately not a perfect deterrent.

There are a lot of foods I eat, because I forget the damage they do. The worse the damage, the better I am at remembering, but it doesn't mean I always do.

The only way I know that my wheat reactions are getting worse, is because I'm stupid enough to keep sampling foods that contain it.

Every year I overindulge in Ranier cherries during their short 3 week season. I always end up with terrible, terrible intestinal issues (I have IBS) from the overindulgence. It's like a bad hangover, but I do it every year, and every year I vow to be more sensible the following year (by which time I'll have forgotten just how bad the stomach cramping was).

Call me a slow learner where food is involved, but practice helps, and so does my hubby reminding me when I've forgotten that something I want (because it looks so good), has wheat or way too much sugar in it.

I don't know if I'll ever get to the point that I can say I've conquered cravings. At best I've been able to call a temporary truce.

The worst mental games I play with myself has been trying to find the symptom threshhold. Can I eat a small enough amount to escape symptoms?

And unfortunately the answer is sometimes. One bite of bread doesn't usually trigger an observabe reaction (but it sometimes does). More than two bites almost always does. Pasta I can eat about a 1/3 cup before I'll see a reaction.

I have no doubt I'd feel better if I never overdid problem foods, and I'm getting better, but I am still very much in "progress not perfection" mode.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #5  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I have food sensitivities too. I'm sorry you had to find out the way you did. It took about a month of not eating the offending foods to fully get rid of the negative symptoms. Wheat gluten is a difficult one especially when trying to eat healthy since they tend to load up fat free products with filler which us usually a starch (wheat) of some kind, that and the added fiber to make things healthier is usually wheat.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote