Heartburn drinking water - any one else?

• We all are trying to get all that water in!

I do have reflux, am taking an RX from my doctor and am eating according to the reflux guidelines. However, I find that drinking the water gives me heartburn. Also, I have stopped drinking or eating by 7:30 - 8:00 pm. So I don't have the evening hours to hydrate.

Do any of you have this struggle with this? Any suggestions?
  • I sure did, and thought it was awfully strange. I'm surprised you're still having issues having lost 70 pounds! That's unfortunate.

My heartburn was triggered mostly by diet. I was affect by high carbs and fatty foods more than by the typical caffeine.

When I did South Beach diet, my reflux was taken care of within the first two weeks of the induction phases. When I did it by calorie counting it took 3-4 months to go away.

I'm sorry you still have this. Miserable isn't it?
  • I have problems sometimes if I drink it too cold too quickly. This recent bad weather I've had to either let the water stand to bring it up to room temperature or add a dash of boiling to take the chill off it.

I don't eat after 8 but do continue drinking water. What's the reason for you not drinking in the evenings?
  • I get this only on occassion but i don't think for me it is caused by the water but something else (like too much coffee or other food I'm sensitive too) upsets me and gives me heartburn mild enough that I can ignore but then I start drinking water and it gets way worse. So for me it's staying away from those foods and limiting coffee rather than avoiding water. Is there a pattern in your food journal that might point to specific foods or drinks that you eat before the heartburn?
  • Quote: I have problems sometimes if I drink it too cold too quickly. This recent bad weather I've had to either let the water stand to bring it up to room temperature or add a dash of boiling to take the chill off it.

I don't eat after 8 but do continue drinking water. What's the reason for you not drinking in the evenings?
    I was told by my doctor and a dietician to stop eating and drinking 2-3 hours before bedtime to lessen reflux at during the night. However, I do have a little water and some crackers before bed to take my PM medication.

I like warm water better than cold, actually. However, I am likely to chug the whole glass down to 'get it in' for the daily total.

I am avoiding the usual foods: coffee, chocolate, lots of sugar, citrus fruits, raw onions or garlic, - you know that the list is long.

lovemybody - you asked:Is there a pattern in your food journal that might point to specific foods or drinks that you eat before the heartburn I will look at it carefully. I need to look more carefully during the day and at supper to make sure I am not eating trigger foods.

Eliana - I agree, heartburn/reflux is miserable.

Thanks to all.
  • I think I will sip water after dinner and see how that goes. I guess it's all a matter or seeing what works or not.
  • Same thing happens to me - I thought I was bonkers! I find the "cleaner" I eat and regular exercise helps. If I have booze one night and try to rehydrate the next day - the heartburn is bad from drinking water.

For me, I find it mainly stems from being on birth control pills. When I went off of them to get PG with my son - ALL heart burn went away. It was nice. But now I am back on them and have to eat well and exercise to keep it at bay.