Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Oh dear--I didn't drink enough water either, and that's how I developed kidney stones. I would bet that's what the pain was. But again, I'm just guessing.

Try this. Drink a small glass of water before you drink every soda. And try to drink a small glass every hour that you're up and about. I don't mean any 16 ounces! Just a small cup would be better than not drinking at all.

Jay
thanks, are they something that goes away on their own? no need of meds or anything. and its only happened that one time
ghostgirl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

If the pain stopped, and if it was a kidney stone, then it may have passed on its own. But stones can form at any time in people who don't drink enough water. That's what my kidney doc told me. Some people are also more disposed to them than others, but not drinking enough water is the main thing.

I also have had my gall bladder out. They both cause reeeallly bad pain. But in my case the gall bladder pain was more in the middle of my body and the kidney stones were more to one side (or the other--I've had them from both kidneys).

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #18  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh wow. A lot of you have really been through the ringer.

I've been very lucky. I had the THREAT of diabetes, and I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. That was enough for me.

I did have some severe gastro-esophogeal reflux attacks and those were pretty scary, and 100% caused by diet.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #19  

Height: 5'7"

I had my gallbladder out over 25 years ago...I still remember the pain from the attachs. Hope you feel better soon.

I just recently had a wake-up call. I went for a routine mamogram and it came back as abnormal. Long story short, when they did an ultrasound they didn't see a tumor or a mass but they will be rechecking me in 6 months. I have read about how being overweight contributes to cancers, especially breast cancer. I sure don't want to contribute to a diagnosis and I'm DETERMINDED to get this weight-off.

Besides, I've noticed that whenever a over-weight person has any sort of medical problem weight is always mentioned. I sometimes wonder if other things might be overlooked because it is all blamed on being overweight. When it comes to my health, I want to be seen as a person, not a overweight person so it's time to do something about it.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #20  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

This actually happened before getting pregnant with DD so I was at a lower weight than I am now. However, I got a cyst on my ovary that turned into a tumor. Now that can happen to anybody but I had a BMI of around 30 at the time, which put me at a MUCH higher risk. I ended up having to get the entire ovary remove and was very, very worried we wouldn't be able to have kids (obviously that wasn't the case! ) but after my surgery I lost a lot of weight and got within 20lbs of a healthy BMI.

Then I gained way too much during my pregnancy and I'm back at square one but that experience has ensured that even though it's taken awhile for me to get really serious about weight loss post-partum I did start exercising right away. Now I'm slowly going back to a healthy weight and I think my eating habits are significantly better than any other times I've lost weight in the past! That being said once I get out of the obese category I'll be breathing a HUGe sigh of relief!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #21  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I had my gall bladder taken out years ago, it flared up when I was pregnant.
But my OMG moment was when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I am questioning that diagnosis just because of how the doctor got to it, but regardless that was my big wake up call. I lost a bunch of weight, and my skin cleared up and all was good, then I gained it back. Now I am on the journey again because the scale hit "that number" that we all have.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #22  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyChoice2bfit View Post
When it comes to my health, I want to be seen as a person, not a overweight person so it's time to do something about it.
Amen- I think so many of my problems were dismissed because I was overweight and told "lose weight." It was super frustrating.

"Oh you have a brain tumor? Just lose weight."

beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #23  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 300/ see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

It really shows what being overweight can do to your body I had a gold size kindney stones stuck in my tract at 18 years old, then I had gallstones and a infected gall bladder at age 25, Found out I had hyperthyriodism at 29, and had another kidney stone the size of a grain of rice this year at the age od 30 I didnt wake up because of these things I guess in a way I denied it was because I was fat I only woke up recently because I am SO tired of being fat and struggling to walk, bend over, run, etc and now I feel great about losing weight. Im so glad you woke up with this cuz as you know other things can come along. Good luck on your journey and if you have to have your gall bladder removed you wont be in that much pain afterwards but just know you may have IBS after not having a gall bladder ive had it every since and so does my Mom but it has gotten better with eating healthier.
Ky30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #24  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

I had surgery a few weeks ago, they thought it was endometriosis because of all the pain I was in. It wasn't. I had a fatty tumor grow that is attached to my colon. I put on 30lbs really fast...apparenty most of it is in that tumor. It's definitely scary when things like that happen.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyChoice2bfit View Post
I had my gallbladder out over 25 years ago...I still remember the pain from the attachs. Hope you feel better soon.

I just recently had a wake-up call. I went for a routine mamogram and it came back as abnormal. Long story short, when they did an ultrasound they didn't see a tumor or a mass but they will be rechecking me in 6 months. I have read about how being overweight contributes to cancers, especially breast cancer. I sure don't want to contribute to a diagnosis and I'm DETERMINDED to get this weight-off.

Besides, I've noticed that whenever a over-weight person has any sort of medical problem weight is always mentioned. I sometimes wonder if other things might be overlooked because it is all blamed on being overweight. When it comes to my health, I want to be seen as a person, not a overweight person so it's time to do something about it.
i hate when doctors blame everything on your weight. i get headaches sometimes multiple times a day and all she said is that i need to lose weight and it could be my posture, so i started sitting right and all that and it just made it worse so i quit, but everytime i got to the doctor they have something say thats wrong with me just because of my weight and yeah i know it contributes to some things but not everything and i dont think its cause of my weight why i get headaches
ghostgirl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

GhostGirl811, I don't know if you have gallbladder disease, but as for if you are "too young," I don't think so. I started getting gallbladder attacks when I was around sixteen, I just didn't realize what they were. I thought I had indigestion or had pulled a muscle doing sit ups.

UPDATE: I found out my insurance that I'll have starting in January covers pre-existing conditions. My father is a federal employee so he has bangin' insurance. Thank god!

I'm back on my diet though and going strong. I don't ever want to feel that again!
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #27  
smexin' it up ♥

S/C/G: 123.4/116.4/80

Height: 180cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgirl811 View Post
i hate when doctors blame everything on your weight. i get headaches sometimes multiple times a day and all she said is that i need to lose weight and it could be my posture, so i started sitting right and all that and it just made it worse so i quit, but everytime i got to the doctor they have something say thats wrong with me just because of my weight and yeah i know it contributes to some things but not everything and i dont think its cause of my weight why i get headaches
Hey Ghostgirl! I reckon the headaches you're getting are from not drinking enough water. (I used to get the same thing all the time when I was younger). I recommend carrying around a water bottle with you where ever you go, and take a sip every once and a while. If you're needing more water (even if you don't really feel thirsty), you'll want to drink more as soon as you've taken that sip.

As for wake up calls...well o_o I think this thread is certainly one! I thought "stones" were only for old geriatric people!

*goes off to drink some more water O_o*

Last edited by summershine; 11-03-2010 at 08:50 PM.
summershine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #28  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

I had my gall bladder out in 2001. I was in a lot of pain. The pain was on my back near my shoulder blades. My attacks were always at night around 1:00 am. I would hurt so much I would walk the floor. I had previously had kidney stones (another story) so I knew this was different. I also have Crohns disease and you have pain with that, so I thought at that time I was suffering with pain from my Crohns. So I didn't go to the doctor.
A month or so later I was having my yearly colonoscopy (yuck) and they also looked at my abdomen with a sonogram. I was told my gallbladder needed out. I was surprised, I thought the pain was the Crohns. The doctor told me my gallbladder was very diseased.
I think if pain continues it should be checked out by your doctor. They can get to the bottom of what is going on. There have been times I have hurt in my stomach so bad I thought I was dying. Fear of being hospitalized would make me hold back from getting help. It would get so bad I would be forced to go. I was told it was gastritis not too bad a case and given Nexium and sent home!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I had my gallbladder out just over a year ago. I was very lucky in that I never had any problems (that I knew of, at least) from it. My doctor picked up on it b/c my liver levels were a little elevated. Set me up for an ultrasound and, lo and behold, my gallbladder was full of gallstones and needed to come out. I encourage you to have the surgery if it's recommended b/c not doing so can lead to pancreatitis and liver problems and you definitely don't want that. Plus, it's a super duper easy surgery (first one I ever had) and the worst part (sorry if it's TMI) is the gas pains. Mine were in my shoulder and arms and OMG they sucked. Good luck!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #30  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

Count this for what it's worth...........
A have a girlfriend who had gallbladder problems. Her doc wanted surgery and she didn't. She did some kind of "gallbladder cleanse" and never had a problem again.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote