should I ease back in?

• I just realized that I have not been to the gym in 3 weeks.
    Ok, it's not like I've been inactive, I spent my time in Vancouver walking and doing the hike from ****, which I really enjoyed actually - but that's beside the point.

Being sick for 2 weeks after that and still having a cough, not much of one, I'm not coughing up a lung or anything, just a tickle in the throat. Nose is still a little runny but again, nothing major.

My question, do I need to ease back in to the gym? Im thinking the 30 minute elliptical or stairmaster or high incline treadmill might not be as 'easy' as it was when I stopped going.

No wonder i've put on weight . . . time to get my lazy butt back to my routine.

Thanks for any input
  • I'd go with a plan and take it from there. Intensify, take it easy...whichever feels right at the time. I think you'll know.

Taking a break for illness sucks!
  • As the Nike ad said, just do it!
  • When I've taken time off from exercising I do find that I need to take it a bit slower than I did before the break. The reason is if I go full out (like before) then the next day I'm worthless. It's much easier on your body to start out slower and then move back to your usual intensity.
  • I've read that it only takes 2 weeks of inactivity to lose muscle that had recently been gained. So easing in might be good.