Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/204/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Can't stop weighing myself...

I can't stop weighing myself... I tell myself not to, but I guess I'm just gonna have to get rid of the scales...

I'm on it first thing in the morning when I wake up, then right before I leave for work, then right when I get home, then right before bed.... and it has stayed the same for over a week! (up a couple 10ths of a pound and then down)... just hovering....

It's driving me crazy, and I'm afraid it's fixing to derail me

I know I need to stop weighing, I just needed to vent ...
EvilGidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #2  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I know you are just venting, but quit it, sister, seriously! Nothing wrong with weighing daily or even more than once a day if you are trying to glean some information about what your body does over the course of a day. But you are obsessing and in my very humble and personal opinion, you should let the scale alone for a week. Focus on what you're DOING, not what the scale says. Easier said than done for some people! But I think it will help you to take a break from it.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Someone on here has a really good saying about the scale in their siggy -

the scale is NOT the best judge of our progress, it's just the most convenient. Focus on other things that may be changing in your body and mind, and ignore those goofy numbers. And see if you can see why it's not going down - are you exercising as much or at the same intensity as you were? Have your eating habits changed? Are you drinking enough water?

Good luck avoiding the scale!!
justErin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #4  
300+ Chick

When I try to eat healthy and walking, I am in the same boat..the scale plays tricks on the mindset..One minute the scale says low number and by the night/morning, back up. So, now I am avoiding the scale for couple of weeks and do on a monthly basis. Patience is the key!! Good luck!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #5  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Nothing wrong in itself with weighing everyday, but honestly (as someone who used to do that) think it's really not good for the psyche and it shows a lack of self control. IMHO, THIS is what its all about...gaining CONTROL, control over what we eat, control over how much we eat, control over our weight, control over how fit we are, etc. If we give up control to anything (even and internet addiction....I'm working on it), then it's NOT GOOD IMHO.

I say MODERATION is key in all....including how much we weigh ourselves. It will help us to focus more on other more important things...

Why not set a goal to weigh yourself once a week. You may fail the first couple of weeks...but you'll get better and eventually you'll conquer, feel more power and will see more progress on a weekly basis. Just my thoughts.

Hope this helps
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #6  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Something just happened to me recently that put the scale in perspective. I hit a new low weight and went clothes shopping. I deliberately bought a pair of pants that were too tight to wear so that I could have something as an incentive for when I lost more weight. When I bought the pants I could not button them up at all.

In the last 3 or 4 days I've been totally OP but my weight has fluctuated up a few pounds as is normal (perhaps I haven't been drinking enough water, or ate something salty, etc). This morning I tried those same pants on again just for fun and they could button! They aren't wearable yet, but they could button up. In this case, I have concrete evidence that I am smaller by the way my clothes fit that is not reflected in an inaccurate scale.

The scale is a good tool for long term measurement, but it does a poor job of getting you info on short term success.

Use a tape measure or how clothes fit when you think you are getting a bit too obsessive with the scale. I still weigh in every day, but I try to take the daily changes with a grain of salt (and salt adds water weight )
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I completely understand. I am a scale addict too and used to get on it multiple times a day. Now I *only* let myself get on it twice a day, 1x in the morning for my daily weight check and 1x at night to see how I did during the day.

Last edited by justaloozer; 12-01-2010 at 11:55 AM.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #8  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

sooo much controversy over the scale for so many of us. how often to weight, what kind of scale, on and on. skinny emmie's blog talks alot about this. she struggles with this too, as do many of us chickies. lots of other great posts on there too.

suggestions
have a friend hide it, or get rid of it and only weigh yourself at the gym, friend's house, doctor's office.

track your progress
water intake, exercise mins/intensity/type of workout, how you felt that day in general and how you felt during and after the workout, your food/cals/veggies etc. whatever you need to work on being consistent with. fitday has lots of charts. or make your own charts. simply writing down that you exercised everyday for x days helps you feel great and remember how great you're really doing.

celebrate your nsv's! make it a big deal! tell us about it, tell your friends. write it down on your mirror or journal. you are awesome!

prove that scale wrong! show it who's boss! that scale is trying to derail you? he's betting you 'can't do it'? prove how many days you can stay on plan, exercise x mins etc. try to make that rebellious attitude work for you and listen to that song, now i forget the name of it. it's in Legally Blonde music/soundtrack when Elle is buying the computer and saying, I'll show you how usefull I can be! just search Legally Blonde on Utube, it's in the top 5 songs.

try a new workout, use unusual moves like walking backwards, uphill, or doing something you loved as a kid. hula hooping, hop scotch, imaginary jump rope. whatever is fun.

try exercising in the cold outside or cold basement. your body burns slightly more calories trying to keep you warm.

make a million reasons list of why you are not going to quit this time, why this time is different, why you WILL STAY ON PLAN!

ok....i was typing all that out pretty fast. ran out of steam lol.

oh also, always read through the 3fc's posts that interest you/motivate you and help others out if you can. this usually helps me feel a little bit better too. i've been in a little bit of a funk past few days, but i LOVE helping people and writing suggestions reminds me to do the same.

remember to keep swimming and always remember, as long as we stay on plan exercising, eating less, eating healthy, the scale HAS to go down. eventually. we will be successful.

and don't forget to make your 101 list. Skinny Emmie made a list 101 things she's doing in 101 days, or something like that. anything you have been wanting to try, didn't do because you felt too fat, couldn't do because whatever reason. break those boundaries! step out of your 'box' and try something new and also make nsv goals. it could be try a new gym class, be comfortable in your swimsuit, run/walk a mile in a certain time, do a 5k or other competion or race, go to a family/friends gathering and feel comfortable and happy/ instead of self conscious and nervous.
whatever works for you, or just start with a few things and add later.

then when you do those things, cross it off, tell us about it, tell your friends, celebrate it! and you'll have it in writing that your life about is so much more than just 'losing weight' and a reminder of how far you've come.

i know we'll all be interested to hear how your progress is going, and love to read about your 'after' pictures KEEP GOING! We're all cheering for you!
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5'5"

weighing ourselves more than once a day can be tricky and very harmful to our motivation. This is because the only true number that comes up on the scale is the one right after you wake up in the morning. If you continually weigh yourself through the day, you will lose track of your actual progress because you will see such a flucuation every time you get on it. I suggest you try only weighing yourself once every other day to kind of break your scale obsessiveness and then if you feel like you can get back on every day with out it turning back into an obsession then go for it.
PastriestoPushups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #10  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Matt is so right! Also evilgidget it is so normal for the numbers on the scale to go up and down as they are making their permanent descent. I think weighing once each morning is good. Write the weight down in a journal and date it. You will notice that each day the weight may go down .5 or up 2 Lbs. and that is ok it really is. This is what weight loss looks like. But when you go back over your journal you will see that in a period of weeks your weight has gone down and stayed down. For me I only lost about 3 pounds in November.
But that is ok- there are some months it's 5-6 Lbs.
You are doing so good with your weight loss. Hang in there- keep doing all those healthy things you have been doing and the weight will come off. If I paid attention to the numbers on that scale along the way of this journey...I would have gave up long ago.
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I love weighing, to be perfectly honest about it. It feels kinda like I'm admitting a secret sin, but really I find it really helpful. I used to weigh 4-5 times per day, now I weigh 2-3 times per day. I just like to see where I'm at. It keeps me incredibly motivated and slight fluctuations don't bother me at all. So I think it all depends on how it effects you - if you can handle seeing the variations, weigh away! If it does bother you, have someone hide the scales from you.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #12  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastriestoPushups View Post
weighing ourselves more than once a day can be tricky and very harmful to our motivation. This is because the only true number that comes up on the scale is the one right after you wake up in the morning. If you continually weigh yourself through the day, you will lose track of your actual progress because you will see such a flucuation every time you get on it. I suggest you try only weighing yourself once every other day to kind of break your scale obsessiveness and then if you feel like you can get back on every day with out it turning back into an obsession then go for it.
Great advice!!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #13  
~Kim~

I always weight just once a week when I'm trying to lose. I've never had a problem with wanting to weight more often. I would rather see a decent change then deal with constant fluctuations. Why don't you try just weighing once a day for a while. Keep the scale in a closet or something and only allow yourself to get it out just that once in the morning.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Every single one of us has to find what works for us. Some can't get on the scale at all or it rules their life, some have to get on multiple times a day and if they don't it rules their life.

For me, I get on usually twice a day.. once in the morning first thing. I need to do this, on days I skip it I have more of a tendancy to eat things that I shouldn't. I KNOW it can be up as much as 5 pounds from the day before, and I am ok with this.. I accept the number as just a number and move on.. I do NOT allow it to rule my day if it is up or the same or down or what ever it may reveal. It is just a number, nothing more, but for some reason I NEED to see it every day. For some reason it works in my brain that every day is a new start and every new start for me starts on the scale.

I also hop on at night.. why? I'm not sure, I know that the number will be higher than the morning (I know this from experience ) and I guess I also like to try to play a game of guessing how much it will be down in the morning from that number... but it's just that a guessing game I play at night. When I get on in the morning I never think of that number from the night (which is something I JUST realized while typing this..lol).

I don't get on during the day... but I do get a kick during the day of weighing my food on the kitchen scale

Last edited by findingfawn; 12-01-2010 at 12:34 PM.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote