3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   clothing management? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/216036-clothing-management.html)

socalfelicity 10-28-2010 11:36 PM

clothing management?

what do you with your clothes that are too big? too small?

i have a REALLY small closet (our house was built in the 1940s, when closets were not "the thing")- right now i have most of my clothes that don't fit me (either too small from before i gained weight or too big because i've lost weight)...

and i don't really know what to do with them...

sell them? how? where? in lots on ebay?

donate them?

keep them?

should i keep the small clothes in case i can fit into them when i get to my goal weight?

should i keep the big clothes...you know...in case of a "relapse"?

i guess i just don't really know what to do at this "in between" stage- before i get to goal...

sweetsmmr91 10-28-2010 11:39 PM

I donate my clothes as they get too big. I have a couple friends who are bigger and have kids and just aren't ready to lose the weight yet so I give them choices first, then whatever's left over goes to the Good Will! I refuse to keep my big clothes because I refuse to believe that I'm going to relapse.. haha :D

xty 10-29-2010 12:06 AM

I encourage anyone who has dress clothes to specifically seek our organization to donate to like Dress for Success. They work with low income women who have job interviews to donate appropriate clothing. They *always* need plus sizes too, and will gladly take anything over a 14 even when they arent accepting smaller size donations.

I dont tend to keep clothes that dont fit. Mostly because even if I get smaller, my body changes shape and old stuff doesnt fit quite right. For clothes getting too big, I keep one safety pair of pants. Haha. One size up. And if I EVER need to wear them, its red freaking alert time and I go into super ultra get back on plan mode :)

sweetsmmr91 10-29-2010 12:19 AM

I just looked up the Dress for Success website. We don't have a location in Omaha yet :-/ Maybe someday!

socalfelicity 10-29-2010 01:57 AM

those are good tips! my career clothes are all size 2- back from when i was a very skinny minnie...i have a lot of those types of clothes that i've been hanging on to- but i feel like i need to let them go- because even WHEN i get down to a smaller size, i am not necessarily going to want to wear those clothes again.

i will check out dress for success- sounds like a great program. thanks!

Rosinante 10-29-2010 02:29 AM

I just took a bagful to the local Heart Research charity shop. I've bought a lot of knitwear there recently, plus a wonderful coat for £8.50, that new would have been over £100 (I know the range), so it seemed only right to take them my cast-offs.
It's only fairly recenlty though, because my biggest of all clothes were so old and stretched to infinity, that they were only good for dog bedding - which they currently are!

Eliana 10-29-2010 07:54 AM

I would keep the outdated small clothes only as something fun to try to get into. I love trying on too-small clothes as incentive. In fact, I want to make a thrift store run this weekend to buy exactly that because I no longer have any clothes that are too small.

As for too big clothes, out they go! Never again!

starbrite 10-29-2010 08:09 AM

Gosh - this is a hard one. When I lost over 100lbs before I gave away and ebayed all my "fat" clothes - believing I would never wear them again. I was, unfortunately wrong. I regret the decision I made to get rid of the clothes. Just as I regret the decision to get rid of the smaller clothes as I have lost weight again. It has cost me a small fortune in clothes! I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, but I'm going to hang onto some of my fat clothes as insurance. I intend to NEVER put the weight back on, but am just not confident yet that I won't.

shannonmb 10-29-2010 08:33 AM

I'm doing a lot of decluttering lately, and not only have I gotten rid of clothes that are starting to be too big (most of my clothes still fit, though looser -- they were too tight before!), I am also planning to get rid of all my biggest summer clothes for next year. That's how confident I am that they will NOT fit by then! :D

xty 10-29-2010 09:55 AM

There are other specialty orgs like Dress for Success in other areas....lets see there is Career Wardrobe, Suited for Success, Women's Alliance, Career Closet, Wings for Success, Clothes that Work, etc.

There are orgs that do other specializations...like prom dresses. Here is a link to help out:
http://charityguide.org/volunteer/fi...d-clothing.htm

KatMarie 10-29-2010 02:25 PM

I'd get rid of all the too big clothes and donate them to some place like Goodwill. If you start to gain weight, it'll be too easy for you to wear the bigger clothes in your closet instead of keeping on track and losing weight. You know what i mean? I just don't think it's a good idea to be thinking, oh I'd better keep the big clothes because I might need them.
Go thru the smaller sizes and keep the ones you really like and aren't way out of style.

starfishkitty 10-29-2010 02:27 PM

I KNOW I will never get that big again (I'm 5lbs up from vacation and itll never get worse than that, dang it!.. and not for long either!) so I just give them away to either my mother or sister who are in my body size/range. If they don't want them, they know they can give them away to charity or other people. *shrug* As for smaller clothes... keep 'em! It's so much fun to fit in them when the time comes!! I'm excited cos I just fit into my favorite dress from my teens! Whoo! :D

Smiling_Sara 10-30-2010 08:43 AM

I sell them on ebay.

I buy on ebay ( while I'm still losing weight )

So, I usually spend little on clothes-although I will splurge and buy myself something new every now and then.

Rochester 10-30-2010 09:22 AM

I have one closet in my apartment. One tiny closet that serves multiple functions as a clothes closet, utility closet, and storage area. (I use a coat tree, or else my coats would be in there also!)

My solution for storing the too-small clothes that I plan to wear "someday"? I found a fantastic antique trunk at a thrift shop. It works for storing too-small clothes and/or out-of-season clothes and as a coffee table in my living room. Lack of space requires creative thinking. :)

ghostgirl811 10-30-2010 07:12 PM

ide have a yard sell and sell the clothes that are too big if its not cold where you live, or ide just donate them and keep the smaller ones so you can say that you WILL fit into them again