Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #16  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I think as a society our perspective of what "normal" looks like is so skewed that people see overweight people as being normal or even underweight. I think that drives some of the foolish comments like this we hear.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I knew about your struggles with bulimia. I didn't know you struggled with anorexia too. My only real experience with it was when my husband was on suicide watch (depression) and two women in his ward struggled with OCD related anorexia. My heart still breaks for them. I don't know how they overcome it.
Eating disorders are a very strange animal, and a person can cycle through more than one of them in her lifetime as she goes through the phases of her illness, from its worst to being on her way to remission.

The joke is that a bulimic is a failed anorexic.

Anorexia is not a praiseworthy thing by any means but it requires a steely will & focus. And if, after a time -- in my case, just about a year -- this effort exhausts a person, she may lapse from her adamant fasting. And the lapse is likely not to be as simple as eating a sandwich. (As people sarcastically urge them to: "Just eat a burger.") No. It's likely to occur as unleashing of the floodgates, into a flat-out binge. And then, in horror over what she's done, she may recover some of her steely will & attempt to undo the damage by purging in some way. Overexercising with a purpose, in my case.

Then, with a therapist's care, a person may conquer the purging impulse, without healing the bingeing impulse, and end up with symptoms of binge eating disorder. And when that calms down, will simply end up with a bad tendency to overeat.

It's all in remission now. That happened more than 12 years ago. The thing that I still have to watch for in myself is bingeing.

But I remember the demonic possession of anorexia pretty vividly. I think it's like being in a manic phase. (I've got a bipolar friend & we have discussed the similarities.) Yeah, it's definitely about more than being skinny. Women & very young girls die from it. So it's sad that it's become an easy term of disparagement & synonymous with simply being thinner than the person making the accusation.

Last edited by saef; 09-29-2010 at 11:07 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #18  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

UGH I hate that. I get it all the time too... on a military base full of snarky women with deployed husbands.

I overheard the other day "Have you seen Val lately, she looks great!" which made me smile... but then it was followed by "eh yeah... that's what happens when you don't eat".

WTH is the matter with people?!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 191/143/128

Height: 5'2"

It's a strange thing to hear for me, especially since I'm still considerably overweight. But, I get it a lot: "You look great. If you lose anymore weight you'll look sick." or "Hey Skinny Minnie." I hear it all the time: Don't lose anymore weight. What? I don't understand what they see. I'm 5'2" and 153-158 lbs depending on the week. I'm still considered overweight. I think they intend it as a compliment and in comparison to what I used to look like, I guess I would seem skinny. But if I just walked into a room full of strangers, no one would consider me skinny! I really do (at least in my case) believe that the people who say these things still have my former image in their minds and compare that image to how I look now.
marielenrdz is offline   Reply With Quote