a really dumb RMR question...

• So I've been calculating my RMR to get a sense of the calories that I need per day to just maintain current weight. I use the calories per hour website for this.

After you enter your information, they give you an "activity adjustment" since RMR is literally just the calories burned during a day of complete rest.

For example, someone with an office job and sedentary should adjust it by 1.2, etc., someone that exercises 3 days a week and is moderately active would adjust by 1.55.

Here is my silly question. Does the adjustment factor assume in a typical day this is the exercise you would get (so that if on *a specific day* you did nothing, you need to use a lower calorie count).

Or, alternatively, does it assume that someone who is generally active throughout the week has more muscle mass and even if *on that day* you didn't exercise, your metabolism is still burning calories at this rate.

To be conservative, I always use the "sedentary" calorie adjustment even if I typically do exercise quite a bit throughout the week (mostly walking).

How do you interpret the adjustment factor? Hopefully my question makes sense.
  • Matt, you know I think the world of you, but I gotta say this - I urge you to not even look at those calculators. They are merely guesstimates. The only way to accurately know how many calories you should be eating to maintain is through experimentation; trial and error. These calculators can't possible know you and your body and what your body does and how your body burns calories and how your body runs and where your body's been and how you've changed it.

Trial and error my friend... I have full confidence in you that you will find your right number.