Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
That's what I was thinking. Heck at Red Robin restaurant, many of the burgers are well in the 1200 calorie range for the burger alone. Add fries and a few drinks and you are talking 2500 for the meal.

I'd only warn the OP to use extra caution. Being at the beginning stages of this journey, sometimes these little blips can create huge detours. For me it wouldn't be worth it, but I wanted the weight off ASAP. Many people don't care how long it takes, and that is fine too...if you can handle the added cravings from a carb heavy meal.
I was thinking both these exact things. The calorie count seems a tad on the low side.

But more importantly - well, I think it's a little early on in the game to start with that type of meal.

In previous attempts I was always trying to figure out how to add those foods in - and it really led to disastrous results. It kept my love of *those foods* alive and kicking. I needed to kill my love of those foods. So *I* needed to distance myself from them. I needed to detox from them so to speak. The more I went without them, the less I wanted them.

I wanted to make this journey easier, not harder, and for me, keeping my love and desires for those foods at such a high level, was waaaaay too hard. Because then I always had to resist, resist, resist. It was SUCH a struggle. After a couple of pretty rough weeks of abstaining - I didn't need to resist - I no longer wanted them. Miraculous!!!

I was done taking chances. I wanted the weight - gone, off, goodbye, good riddance. I was done being fat, had had enough of it. It was time to do something different, since it was different results I was after. If you want extraordinary results, I believe extraordinary measures are required.

You can certainly use this as an experiment though. See where it lands you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #17  
The tortoise

Well, I'm back and it was awesome. I had a really good time and I didn't have a problem with the food, even left some on the plate when I was full so it's another victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
I agree. The only thing that seems a bit off is the calorie count you are projecting for a restaurant meal including fries. Seems pretty low count to me. I've noticed most restaraunt's nutritional info is for the entree only (even for meals that come automatically with certain sides like fries), with the fries listed in a seperate section.
Oh, the main part of the meal was grilled chicken breast with a herb rub with some spinach and the portion of fries was relatively small which probably accounts for the low value, the site did have the fries in a separate section but I'm onto their wiley ways

Quilter I'm not rewarding myself with food, I worked it into what I am allowed as a once in a blue moon event, I don't go out a whole lot with friends. I have 800 calories to play with outside of this meal and I played the **** out of them, sure I'm at the upper limit of my calories today but I got in five fruits and veg, all my water and a respectable chunk of protein. I'm also a sugar fiend, not a savoury one so this won't trigger my cravings.
Cleophas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #18  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

IMO, definitely *NOT* a fail!

95% of the time I really behave myself and eat only healthy things. However, I am the type that if I said "Oh, I can never go above X calories" or "I can never have X,Y,Z again" I set myself for an enormous binge and subsequent complete failure. So I go about this knowing that I DO allow an occasional "cheat", and in knowing that, I don't feel like I HAVE to have anything. I will "cheat" and then the next day I am back on plan.

IMO being too restrictive isn't healthy in the long run... at least for some of us.

Glad you had a good time, and I bet your friends are glad you joined in the fun and festivities!!!
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #19  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I think it's also important to untangle this notion that eating fatty greasy carb loaded foods is "living life". Sure, you have to have a realistic plan that's sustainable... but why does it have to include foods that are essentially garbage as far as your body is concerned?

So YES, by all means, go out with your friends and have a wonderful evening... I just don't see why "living life" can't be a healthier choice? It's not restrictive it's just making a choice not to eat crap and pay for it by feeling like crap later even if the scale doesn't move up.

And like Robin said, eating these things makes it HARDER not easier in the long run. Your body can't crave what it never has.

I think I've been doing this for too long :P.

Last edited by ValRock; 09-18-2010 at 07:56 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #20  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I agree with the NOT FAILING posts -- if you COUNT it, it's not a fail in my mind.

It's funny how much of a "fries snob" you become eh??? There are so many places, blech, I wouldn't waste the calories on, whereas before I had no idea you could have anything ELSE! My new fav side is 1/2 a baked potato smothered in salsa rowrrrrrrr hellllllo! and it's available just about everywhere!

Keep on countin!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleophas View Post
Well, I'm back and it was awesome. I had a really good time and I didn't have a problem with the food, even left some on the plate when I was full so it's another victory

I'm at the upper limit of my calories today but I got in five fruits and veg, all my water and a respectable chunk of protein. I'm also a sugar fiend, not a savoury one so this won't trigger my cravings.
This sounds like a major WIN to me! Way to go. Glad you had a great time.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #22  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Cleophas, it sounds good to me! and well done on leaving food on the plate ~ I find that so hard to do!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #23  
The tortoise

Thanks for your support guys The ironic thing for me is that after that meal I've lost two pounds between yesterday and today, I know that's a fluke and not an excuse to go back and eat crud every day it just made me giggle, I'll see what happens on official weigh in day.

Val, I think for you it would make them harder to resist in the future, but for me after eating that meal all I'm thinking is that it's done and over with and now I can move on. If I had decided not to eat them in a controlled way I think now I would obsessing over what I can't have, I've been here too many times before to think otherwise, that's the diet killer for me, not being 'allowed' to have something. I just have to make sure that when I do, it's worth it, to me, last night was worth it
Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #24  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleophas View Post
Thanks for your support guys The ironic thing for me is that after that meal I've lost two pounds between yesterday and today, I know that's a fluke and not an excuse to go back and eat crud every day it just made me giggle, I'll see what happens on official weigh in day.
)
I just want to caution you on this, although I see you're aware that it's most likely a fluke.

Very often, what we do one day does not immediately show on the scale the very next day. Losing pounds, gaining pounds, it's not an automatic process. So those two pounds were very most likely the result from previous days and weeks *work*, not your splurge meal.

And in the same manner, don't be shocked if you see a RISE in the scale a day or two from now as the results of that splurge meal.

As far as it being harder, easier, what not to eat or not eat *those* foods, I think anyone who's ever gone the abstinent route, will tell you that it is harder - initially - temporarily - as you go through the detox stage, that uncomfortable part of weaning yourself off of the stuff. Initially harder (perhaps two weeks), but from that point on, it's *relatively* smooth sailing as you don't even want the stuff.

Obviously, we are all different, so obviously we all have to find what works for each of us - and what doesn't.

I look forward to hearing of your continued progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #25  
The tortoise

Thanks Robin and yes I know that's it's probably not going to stay like that but I'm keeping an eye on how it affects me in the coming week even though official weigh in day is a couple of weeks away. You're right that we all have to find our own path, I know there are things I can't eat without going and troughing the whole cake and that some people couldn't do what I did last night but would be able to stop at one sweet. I'm really happy that I am becoming able to see my limits, it was something I never managed before.