Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Please give me some perspective!

I've been a grouch lately and I know I really need to get over this but I can't seem to at the moment. The vast majority of my friends are pretty skinny. Really, I only have two friends that are close to my weight that live nearby, one has PCOS and works out all the time but has to basically eat nothing to lose weight. The other is TTC and just holding off on the weight loss for the moment. The rest are pretty much VERY skinny AND they don't work for it at all. One does run but the rest never exercise...EVER.

I have to admit this drives me nuts. I'm someone who has to fight for every pound. Back when I was skinny I worked out like crazy. I played college soccer and did 3 days a week weight training on top of that. Sure I ate more junk food but I exercised like crazy. Now, nobody forced me to eat pizza during my pregnancy, so it's not that I'm blaming my weight on someone else. But it's so discouraging when I run miles per week to lose any weight when other friends of mine are just so skinny after having kids and they don't workout at all!

I just hate how easy for me it is to gain weight. I'm doing so much better and I really am proud of myself with the lifestyle changes I've made but it's also hard when your skinny friends are "so impressed" that you find time to workout and say they never can do that.

Sorry for the complaining, I know I just need to get over it and everyone has their own personal struggles etc. etc. but I'm just frustrated at the moment.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

grrrr i know, life ain't fair and it sucks!!! BUT... and I do have one is you never know for SURE what others have to do to stay/be skinny! they might SAY they don't work out but do. Or they eat very little. Or do both. Or they won the genetic lottery and you didn't. SUCKS. But it is what it is
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #3  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

The majority of my friends are skinny and gorgeous and eat whatver they want! It angers me...not so much at them but me for allowing myself to get here and for not scoring big in the genetic lottery (hehe, cute). My roommate is incredibly gorgeous and has this amazing pear shaped figure. She always pulls up her shirts and slaps her belly while saying "Ughhhhh you have to go fatty fat". I'm like, can I puke now please?? Either way, we all have our own struggles. I get embarrassed when the girls try to get me to go out and meet guys again. They aren't EVER looking at me...they are ALWAYS looking at my gorgeous skinny friends. Sometimes they just don't realize how it affects us. They mean the best I guess.

Anyway, don't really have any advice for you..doesn't seem like you're looking for anything other than, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! And I really do.

I'm throwing you a big cheesy grin right now!!
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Here's the thing about that...

You can't SEE their insides! I'm thankful every day that I was fat! I'm thankful because now I know what it's like to BE fat and therefore what it's like to be thin. I couldn't have appreciated the thin without ever having the fat. Plus, I KNOW with certainty that my insides are as healthy as is within my control. Naturally thin people aren't necessarily healthy on the inside because they don't necessarily fuel their bodies the way they should. (Some do, of course, but many don't.)

So I'm thankful for the fat! I figure my body is giving me an outward, visible advantage as a gauge for my overall health.

It helps with how I look at the world anyway.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #5  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

It may be genetics or it may be that their habits haven't caught up with them yet. I had skinny friends like that in my early 20s that were all fat by 30. The only skinny one that stayed skinny was one that ate very little junk food and did a lot of walking.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #6  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
You can't SEE their insides! I'm thankful every day that I was fat! I'm thankful because now I know what it's like to BE fat and therefore what it's like to be thin. I couldn't have appreciated the thin without ever having the fat. Plus, I KNOW with certainty that my insides are as healthy as is within my control. Naturally thin people aren't necessarily healthy on the inside because they don't necessarily fuel their bodies the way they should.
This and the fact that you are learning how to really care for your body properly NOW and for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
It may be genetics or it may be that their habits haven't caught up with them yet. I had skinny friends like that in my early 20s that were all fat by 30. The only skinny one that stayed skinny was one that ate very little junk food and did a lot of walking.
Time has a funny way of creeping up on people. It becomes very apparent who works out and eats well in your 40s.

What I'm trying to say is that you are ahead of the game!

Last edited by losermom; 09-09-2010 at 07:46 PM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom
Time has a funny way of creeping up on people. It becomes very apparent who works out and eats well in your 40s.
Couldn't agree more. I was a skinny girl in my 20s and into my early 30s. Because I never developed good eating and exercise habits, I am struggling like crazy to solve some lifestyle-related health problems and lose weight in my mid 40s.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273.8/247.5/199

Height: 5'5"

runningfromfat: I know how you feel. There was a time when I was going to the gym before work at 5:00 am in the morning - working out like crazy, eating right, and no dropping a pound. I would see other women come to the gym and in a matter of weeks, they were dropping weight like it was nothing. It was so frustrating. I found out I have hypothyroidism which makes it very difficult to lose weight, so for a while I just gave up. Finally, I got tire of feeling sorry for myself and and found a program that seems to be working for me. Finding this web site has been good send.

Just stick to what you're doing because in the long run it will pay off!!
nursemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

THANK YOU everyone for your responses!!!!

I feel a lot better about it now and I totally get what you're all saying about not seeing what's going on inside.

This really resonantes with me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Here's the thing about that...

You can't SEE their insides! I'm thankful every day that I was fat! I'm thankful because now I know what it's like to BE fat and therefore what it's like to be thin. I couldn't have appreciated the thin without ever having the fat. Plus, I KNOW with certainty that my insides are as healthy as is within my control. Naturally thin people aren't necessarily healthy on the inside because they don't necessarily fuel their bodies the way they should. (Some do, of course, but many don't.)

So I'm thankful for the fat! I figure my body is giving me an outward, visible advantage as a gauge for my overall health.
Especially the bolded. I should be thankful because I know what I need to fix. I don't have to wonder when I get older why my body isn't cooperating because I can fix it NOW. I really like that way of thinking.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote