Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #16  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Face the fact that, if you really want this, you are going to have some uncomfortable moments. You may feel so conflicted inside during these moments that you might suddenly understand how a drug addict trying to kick her addiction feels. You'll want a particular food, but you'll know that you also want to be healthier, to lose weight. You'll squirm. You'll get physically uncomfortable. You may even feel part of yourself throwing a tantrum: I want, I want, I want.

And you'll find sometimes that to get through it, you just have to get through it. What I mean is, there is no distracting yourself. You just have to sweat it out, to keep saying, "No, no, no" and suppress it, act like the adult, and hang on tight until it passes.

The thing is, it does pass. If you hadn't bought the caramels, you probably would have stopped thinking about them. Eventually. ("No, saef, I'd think about them forever, and I'd die because I didn't get to have them." No PinkHoodie, you wouldn't. Believe me, it takes more to kill a grown woman than not being able to eat candy she sees momentarily in the drug store.)

Realize when a tantrum is upon you ... or when you fall into an obsessive state, a near-trance of desire ...

And learn that it passes. Really. Our minds move on eventually. There's just too much going on in the world & too much else to think about.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #17  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You CAN do it!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

This is a very interesting thread with a lot of excellent suggestions.

I especially like the advice to expect, and just get over, the tantrums our appetites are going to throw when they see our red light foods.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #19  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

I have learned that when that little voice inside my head is telling me that buying something is a bad idea, I have to listen to it, even if I don't want to. You walked past those caramels twice before going back. The little voice was telling you it was a bad idea. Use this as a learning experience.

I think you can do this, and you need to think so to. No, you need to know it. Deep down in your heart. Just keep plugging away every day and learn from these experiences.

Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #20  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
So, if you really want to lose weight, you have to decide that you WANT thing that make you healthy, and the other stuff, you just don't want it that much.
This should be embroidered on a pillow someplace. Seriously.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #21  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

You have to WANT to be healthy and fit MORE than you want that brownie... or cupcake.

I PROMISE you. you will NEVER EVER EVER regret making the decision to lose weight. Ever.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #22  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
I PROMISE you. you will NEVER EVER EVER regret making the decision to lose weight. Ever.
Case in point - read all the threads started here about NSV's - about reaching a new milestone, fitting into smaller clothes, getting compliments, going to a party and staying on plan, walking 2 miles, clothing shopping, fitting into a restaurant booth, about feeling "normal" and "regular" - the list is endless - do you hear the excitement in people's voices? We are all SO thrilled and SO elated. The joy can not be contained.

Then read threads that people start about - being embarrassed to go to a school reunion, about eating off plan, about re-gaining weight, about missing a bunch of workouts - the list is enless- do you hear the sorrow, the regret, the UNhappiness in their voices?

It doesn't feel good to eat unwell - immediately and then the long term ways that it affects our bodies - but when we eat well - oh my G-d - we are all thrilled with ourselves - how good it feels to STAY on plan - and then the over the top rewards that it brings about.

Eating well IS the good thing here. NOT the bad thing. Eating well brings joy and happiness into our lives.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote